Sudden death?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
My laptop (a Compaq Presario) is more than 3 yrs old now, all of it spent in the truck. I am beginning to think about the need to replace it, and wondering: is it likely to give any warning signs that failure is near? Or do they just 'crash & burn' suddenly?
If the latter, I ought to watch for a replacement at a good price before it happens, I'm thinking.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I've seen both ways happen so no way to know or say for sure.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
How to Survive a PC Disaster

43% of PC users lose irreplaceable photos, email and documents each year!

Recognize a very real danger

The statistics are not encouraging: 43% of people like you have already experienced a PC disaster in the past year. Laptops are stolen or damaged, hard drives crash and data-eating viruses infect millions of PCs all the time. Then there are natural disasters like Katrina and the recent California wild fires. Not to mention countless screw-ups – we’ve all accidentally deleted files. How would you feel if you lost all the irreplaceable photos, email and documents on your PC?

Protect yourself today

We all know we should back up our PCs, but who has the time. Some people use CDs or DVDs, while others buy external hard drives. But they’re a hassle and won’t protect you from theft, damage or natural disasters. You MUST get your backup out of your house or place of business! Carbonite, an automatic, online backup service will allow you to do this. When the thieves break in or the house burns down, your data will be safe. Rush fans can try Carbonite risk-free

Why isn’t an external hard drive good enough?

When your house burns down, you’re hard drive isn’t going to be any better off than your computer. Goodbye photos, email, contact lists, etc. The press recently reported that thieves broke into the home of movie director Francis Ford Coppola and stole his computer AND his hard drive. He lost 15 years of photos and writing.

Is my data safe with an online backup service?

With Carbonite, it’s a lot safer than it is sitting on your PC at home. Here’s what Carbonite does to protect your data:

It’s encrypted twice before it leaves your PC using the same techniques used by banks and other financial institutions.
Carbonite takes data privacy and security very seriously. Only you can see your files.
Carbonite’s data center is under 24 hour guard. Entry is restricted by fingerprint identification.
How do I get my files back if I have a disaster?

With Carbonite, retrieving lost files takes just a few clicks. You go to Online Backup: Easy, Completely Automatic. Secure. Carbonite., re-install Carbonite on your new or repaired PC, and click “Restore.” All the data that you lost will be restored automatically to your new computer.

What do real Carbonite customers think?

98% of Carbonite users say they would recommend Carbonite to their friends.

Try Carbonite risk-free. No credit card required to start your trial. Carbonite costs only $49.95/year thereafter for unlimited backup.

Online Backup: Easy, Completely Automatic. Secure. Carbonite.

Personally I have two hard drives on my laptop and backup from one to the other but carbonite would be better because if my computer was stolen or damaged I'd lose everything.

Reactions: 1 person

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
One thing to look for is it getting significantly hotter than it used to. Also if it locks up for no reason very often. I don't know a lot of things to watch for but I suspect if you surf websites like computershopper.com, pcmagazine.com etc. you could find articles to tell you more.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
My toshiba laptop worked great until the moment the screen went black. It can be hooked to an external monitor and it works great, but not on its own. No warning at all. i bought a new compaq to replace it, dropped it off with the "puter geek" and let him get everything out of it and I downloaded all of it into the new one. I WILL be using carbonite from now on.

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
While an online service might be nice they are also the targets of hackers. So hopefully a decent protection system goes along with the service. I utilize cds or dvds and a fireproof safe rated for over 2400 deg and it is placed in an area where fire does the least damage. Yes a bit of exercise to use but chances of it getting wiped out are low. The safe provides storage for both computer backups and important papers (i know use those safety deposit thingies at the bank, sorry hate the new overly invasive questionaires to get one). Along wiht the safe goes a security system on its own power system so not dependant on the grid.
rob

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a Presario 2500 that I'll have had for 5 years as of January. I was going to replace it for no particular reason, other than it's 5 years old. Given the business climate we find ourselves in, I'm going to wait. As long as it's running O.K. I wouldn't worry about it for a while.

maybe_driving

Seasoned Expediter
what I did with mine was to get a hard drive and have the geek copy all the stuff over. That way when it went all I had to do was replace it.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
That is how I migrated to my new computer was have a copy on my external hard drive of the files I wanted. I know back up to my hard drive often. I have heard really good things about Carbonite just have not started the service. I agree this is not the best time to buy a new computer but I sure would rather have a plan in place if the one I am using crashes. I have way to much information to take the chance of a hard drive crash and no backup.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Like I said, I backup from one hard drive to the other one. This covers me unless my laptop gets damaged, an external hard drive would also work if you keep it in a safe place. Carbonite just gives you added security. Nothing in this world is 100% safe. Right now the important stuff i.e. photos go on DVD's at home.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You can also back up to a thumb drive for your spreadsheets etc. that are critical. That can go in your pocket so it's always with you. Even if the computer were stolen from the truck you'd have your critical files. Depending on just how paranoid you want to be about it you can do 2 and each person carry one. Another method is to email the critical files to yourself via hotmail or similar as an attachment. Then if you need it you only have to log into the email account to retrieve it.

Last edited:

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Like Leo sez, I have heard of several people who back up their documents on a thumb drive and then also email the stuff to themselves. The 50 bucks for Carbonite could possibly be a business expense.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Cool! I have just installed the trial version of Carbonite, and will no doubt continue with it - it seems the easiest way to ensure that I don't lose everything if the laptop has a major malfunction. I'm glad to hear that Highway Star's lasted 5 yrs, but I feel better now, in case mine doesn't. Thanks guys, for the help.:)

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
While on this subject, just a reminder of how the constant vibration in a truck can take down a hard rive.

I suspect this is what got mine about a year ago. After the new H/D was installed I make sure the computer rides on the middle of my Select Comfort air mattress.

Now I know not everybody is going to run out and fork out $700.00 for a Select Comfort but great care should taken in where your puter rides.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
redytrk this is another reason why I think it is cheaper to use a dash mounted GPS and not your computer. The constant vibration going down the road is hard on hinges and hard drives. A GPS is very cheap compared to replacing a computer.

Reactions: 1 person

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
redytrk this is another reason why I think it is cheaper to use a dash mounted GPS and not your computer. The constant vibration going down the road is hard on hinges and hard drives. A GPS is very cheap compared to replacing a computer.

Teamcaffee is right. We had to take all the laptop stands out of our trucks because of it. We even have in our lease now that if you use a laptop for a GPS you do it at your own risk. I had to buy a laptop because of it. So they are right a GPS is cheaper in the long run.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
my 4 yo dell just went bye bye one day at the ts. the prev day it was not starting when i pressed the button several times but then it caught. next day dead.

bought a toshiba from office depot less than 600 bucks for a pretty good computer. mine had several discounts so it came to 450 before extended warrenty.

keep your stuff backed up and your cherished items will always be there. keep a list of your fave websites. i didn't have one so i am STILL rebuilding after 60 days. maybe i didn't need all of them anyway.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Real men don't back up. hehe

Couple of years ago, when I was still using my laptop as a GPS, the pounding of the road finally got to the hard drive and it finally crashed. The screen hinges where on their last leg, too. And the pounding also took down an external hard drive.

Now, I use a standalone GPS for a GPS, and I use the laptop for a laptop. Those who use a laptop while rolling, well, you know. I also have three, count 'em three, external hard drives. One is for Ghost backups, one is for downloaded videos of movies and TV shows and ISO images, and another is for other assorted storage, installable programs, photos, etc. The laptop is always OFF when I'm moving, and thus so are the hard drives. I also have a 4GB memory card stuck in my Verizon Aircard that I use to do an additional daily backup of "My Documents". There's also a 4GB memory card stuck in my all-in-one printer that I can use for storage.

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
My toshiba laptop worked great until the moment the screen went black. It can be hooked to an external monitor and it works great, but not on its own. No warning at all. i bought a new compaq to replace it, dropped it off with the "puter geek" and let him get everything out of it and I downloaded all of it into the new one. I WILL be using carbonite from now on.
That could of been fixed easily. Usually when the screen goes black and your still able to see things on a external monitor, there is nothing wrong with the computer itself, except the video inverter usually will cause the screen to go black, which is usually a easy, quick and uninexpensive part to replace.