Staying warm this winter?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Leo I did NOT get the one with the heater...the heater is NOT 12,000 btu's....it is simiular to the "heat strip" on a roof top AC unit.

The unit is "portable" in that it rolls around..the exhast is through a 5 in diameter 48 in collapsiable hose like a "dryer hose"... i cut a hole in the side wall, installed a dryer/heater type wall vent, and connect the hose to exhaust it outside. There is also a drain for mosisture from the condenser that can be used, but it is optional as the design of the unit "throws the moisture into the air and disperses it......so far no issues at all..

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Leo I did NOT get the one with the heater...the heater is NOT 12,000 btu's....it is simiular to the "heat strip" on a roof top AC unit.

The unit is "portable" in that it rolls around..the exhast is through a 5 in diameter 48 in collapsiable hose like a "dryer hose"... i cut a hole in the side wall, installed a dryer/heater type wall vent, and connect the hose to exhaust it outside. There is also a drain for mosisture from the condenser that can be used, but it is optional as the design of the unit "throws the moisture into the air and disperses it......so far no issues at all..

You cut into the side wall? interesting...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
yeap you need hose run to be short as possible, and the way my van is setup, to get to the window i would have had to have over 6 ft of hose, so the hole in the wall worked best....but you are right, the hotter the exhaust gets, the less effective the unit is, but it beats idling and running the van ac all day ......

greg334

Veteran Expediter
So what is a heat pump OVM?

It is an air conditioner.

So if you take the side with all that warm air and stick it into the van while taking the cold side and sticking it out the window, you have a toasty van.

A heat pump!

Actually there is a company who marketed their services to convert RV a/c units to heat pumps by installing a reversing valve, I thought someone had one of those conversions.

interstategar

Veteran Expediter
I also have a Honda 2000 watt generator, and I carry a small electric space heater to plug into the generator. Works fine. I'm never cold in the winter.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Ill probably have the ESPAR unit installed when I get the new truck, but I sleep really good when its cold in my 40degree below rated sleeping bag, if I cant Idle the engine....I dont think id trust any Propane powered units inside my vehicle although I know its done in lots of RVs etc....Idleair is great when you can find them...

gflight

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
you will need something stronger than that. I know, mine was just stolen yesterday. Went into walmart to use the restroom and get smokes, about ten min. Came out and my Honad 2000w gen. gone. It was hooked to truck with an 1/4" cable and master lock.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Where where you that your gen got stolen? Was it mounted to your truck or on the ground running? Theft is a concern for me also. Hate to wake up cold and find my gen gone.

EasyDoesIt

Active Expediter
you will need something stronger than that. I know, mine was just stolen yesterday. Went into walmart to use the restroom and get smokes, about ten min. Came out and my Honad 2000w gen. gone. It was hooked to truck with an 1/4" cable and master lock.

Hope you called the police. Walmart has security cameras on all their lots.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Having been a vanner for over a decade, I've spent a lot of winter nights without heat.

One whole hard, cold, winter, in fact, saw almost every single night in the van. Even the van's own heat was lousy and idling it's gas engine for heat was useless. Though I'd done my homework and had insulated the van well and had good vapor barrier, etc. I was pretty comfy. Slept in a winter-rated sleeping bag on top of mattress quality 4" foam, and thick comforter on top. Usually kept the front windows cracked slightly for airflow and to prevent condensation from my warm breath in the cool air. Slept with a knit cap on pulled low, and many nights just my nose and mouth to open air. I really was pretty comfy.

That was ten years ago though, and this year, probably after the holidays, I plan on putting in a D4 Espar Airtronic, and may try the install myself to save on cost.

I'm pretty handy and have a shop full of tools...anyone tried installing one yourself? I looked at the installation pdf, and may go up and talk to Ray at Espar before doing so, and I'm sure it will take longer than they would, but I'm betting a handy guy could do it.

I'm also planning on putting two deep cell batts underneath on the driver's side frame, along side my second starting battery (GMC diesel, two batt system) along with the proper isolator and fuse etc, for general house power. My house power needs aren't much really, and I won't have to go overboard.

I"m trying to avoid having a generator and hauling gas just for it. I also don't like the idea of propane heaters in the small closed space of a van, though I know a lot of you use them. I don't even use propane for cooking, preferring the small butane stove and cartridges (which I hardly ever use.)