Staying warm this winter?

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
I use a bike chain and lock to secure mine to a spoke in my rims. Nobody will steal it (unless they REALLY want it) and I can never leave it behind!

Until you forget one day an accidentally drive off and hear all the racket:p

Refer Hauler

Expert Expediter
I have a Webasto unit and it works very good until it's get below zero. regardless of what type of fuel fired unit you have you need to let it fire up and get good and hot at least once a month. This seams to be the fix to keep the ignitors from coroding/gumming over.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I thought you would start them up every month to get that old junk out of the fuel lines and burner unit, or did they decide to tell the owners to do something else.

How many of you use those 300 watt ceramic 12 volt heaters in the winter?

ChrisGa23

Expert Expediter
im just gonna eather sleep with a jacket and jogging pants and my 20 degree sleeping bag or run the van. Its not my van so I cant install any kind of espar ( plus cant afford it ) nor do I feel safe having any propane burning unit in the van. Just gonna have to tuff it out I guess. Little skinny ole me will just have to curl up and hope for the best

guido4475

Not a Member
I have a 3500 watt generator at the house, but it for some reason,puts exchaust out through the carb as well as the muffler.If I cant fix it, it will be a sleeping bag in my coffin sleeper, I guess.Unless I find an electric outlet somewhere....

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Obviously a few of ya's use propane & do ok w/ it. At the same time, I just went to buy a propane heater. The guy selling them told me they weren't very safe. He said it would help to keep the window cracked, but even then he'd be leery of those things.

So for those using propane, like the one Dennis linked too, what do ya to make sure it's safe?

moose

Veteran Expediter
, what do ya to make sure it's safe?

Go to sleep ?

Seriously , all the RV's are using it , just get a carbon monoxide detector , like 30$ everywhere .

My APU have an Shore power option ,
720$ installed .
not cost effective .

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
DannyD wrote:

Obviously a few of ya's use propane & do ok w/ it. At the same time, I just went to buy a propane heater. The guy selling them told me they weren't very safe. He said it would help to keep the window cracked, but even then he'd be leery of those things.

So for those using propane, like the one Dennis linked too, what do ya to make sure it's safe?

As Moose said, "all the RV's are using it" So that sales guy had better get in touch with all of the RV'ERS running all over the country...:rolleyes:

Now that said there is a small issue with these that was covered last year when this topic came up, MOISTURE forming insde the van....These heaters warm the metal and glass surfaces, when they are cold on the outside and hot inside moisture forms on them and it can be ALOT...BUT, the key is getting air from the outside and air movement. I do open both windows about 2" at night and i run a small fan. I also DON'T cover the windshield with ine of the foil sunshields that fit right on or close to the windshield, i have a curtain that hangs from the top of the windshield to the back edge of the dashboard, this way the whole area between the curtain and the windshield is open to let airflow all around it and I don't have any moisture issues. This year i have added a MaxxFan to the roof so i figure that should do the job without opening the windows (but i probably will still open them because I like to breath the cold air as long as i am warm) , and yes get a good carbon monoxide detector just as a precaution as Moose said although I have keep forgetting to pick one up, but i have not had a problem of low oxygen, that i know of :D...but i do plan on getting one. The open flame is no concern at all, it is no different the the pilot light on a hot water heater or oven/range in a RV, no big deal...

I can tell you that with the way my van is set up and insulated, and with the BIG BUDDY, not the little one, it gets hot enough that i have to turn it off sometimes......'

The company states that they are safe for indoor use in well vented areas, they would be saying that if they figured they would burn up places and kill people...this is my 2nd yr with it and ill continue with no fear at all.....

Oh and i Hang mine from the ceiling with a few straps, the heat is up high, the fan moves it off the ceiling and does great.

Talking about fans, the Big Buddy has a small built in fan, i burnt it up quick......Also, the unit holds (2) 1 lb bottles...I bought a 12 ft hose and a filler kit and i use a 20 lb bottle , its cheaper and when it runs out I can which to a 1 lb bottle that i keep just for that reason until i get the 20 lb'er refilled....

You have to do what you are comfortable with, I use propane....stay warm!! :)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
One morning I woke up and tried to light a cigarette....lighter wouldn't work...NO Oxygen....till I opened my window....propane ones don't give off co2 but they do eat air....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You have to watch out for Carbon Monoxide as well as Carbon Dioxide. My cousins had some friends that we going to meet up with them for first day of trout season a few years back. They arrived at the stream about midnight and went to sleep, using a modern propane heater. They NEVER woke up. My cousins found them the next morning, 4 young, healthy men, dead. Carbon Monoxide killed them. Make sure you have the PROPER gas detectors. Waking up dead is just no fun. It is MUCH harder on the ones that you leave behind and those who are unlucky enough to find you.

raylawrence

Expert Expediter
Espar Heaters are a great way to stay warm in the winter. fuel operated (gas or diesel), engine independent (we don't need to run the engine), and 4 automatic heat levels keep you comfortable on the long cold winter days... and nights. the D2 Airtronic runs over 20 hours on a single gallon of fuel.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter

Put a Carbon Monoxide detector in your truck or van, your life depends on it. :) The best 20 to 50 bucks you'll ever spend and will give you piece of mind

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Put a Carbon Monoxide detector in your truck or van, your life depends on it. :) The best 20 to 50 bucks you'll ever spend and will give you piece of mind

In our rookie years we had 2 of the propane units 1 was a 3000 and the other a 1500 btu on in a CV....the carbon monoxide detector didn't even go off...the problem was they ate up the oxygen...
thru experimentation we found out what was safe and what wasn't...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
my detector has never gone off and i run mine at the 9000 btu seeting most often. But i wouldn't be without one thats for sure.

But as Ken said they eat up the oxygen. in the really cold you can see it as you will get moisture forming on all of the cold surfaces....that is way as Ken said, you deed to experiment around with getting outside sir into the van and keeping it circulated. I leave the ft 2 windows open about 2 inches each and had a fan hanging from the ceiling in the middle of the area i sleep in. This yr i installed a MaxFan roof vent and as of right now, since the vent has been installed, It hasn't been closed...i just turn the fan on from time to time at different speeds. So i look for that to be a big improvement in moving the air around this winter.....but i have had no issues at all with the propane heat. and a 20lb bottle last a long time, just depends on hpw long you have to use it... i do keep 2 1 lb bottles in the van just incase it runs out in the middle of the night.....shhhh:D

Oh and keeping the air moving will stop the moisture on the inside on the cold surfaces...the hardest place is the windshield when you use one of those foil insulated sunshields that lay right on the glass...that wont allow enough air movement on the glass. i hang a curtain at the top of the winshiel and let it hang straight down so it is about 18 inchs from the base of the glass. no problems...

Last edited:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Keeping the windows open a tad is a must. Also look at the heater you buy, many have low oxygen shut off systems.