Staying warm this winter?

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Cargo vans, gas or diesel, how do many of u stay warm without idling ur engines for heat...............like do u use aux.generators and ceramic heaters or what.............

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Espar heater is very popular. Webasto also makes one. There are quite a few threads discussing them. Do a search.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
For me it is a personal choice/preference..I don't like messing with batteries/inverters and cutoff switches and fuses and all that wiring I am such a putz with all that....I just throw out my Honda2000 and away I go...

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Last week I stopped by Espar of Michigan and had an Espar D4 installed. A quick and neat install by none other than Ray himself. Waiting for the weather to change to see how it works.

eb

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Can you give us a ballpark figure on the cost of that? I am trying to see if I can budget for it for a November or December install.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
ray quoted me aro 1800 bucks for the install in my van. have not done it but that was the quote. how am i keeping warm this winter? i brought my wife with me.:):)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
ray quoted me aro 1800 bucks for the install in my van. have not done it but that was the quote. how am i keeping warm this winter? i brought my wife with me.:):)

*LOL* but you and the Mrs are still newlyweds so to speak....wait till it slows down and you-ve been on the road for 5 weeks and you are sitting over a weekend just how small that van will get..*lol* One reason they don't allow guns in vans...hahaha

guido4475

Not a Member
I have a generator, a 3,500 watt, but for some reason it is putting the exhaust out through the crb intake. Pulled the head off, everything is like new.I may get a smaller one, though.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a generator, a 3,500 watt, but for some reason it is putting the exhaust out through the crb intake. Pulled the head off, everything is like new.I may get a smaller one, though.

If you are going to stay in the biz....don't cheap out...go for the Honda...very much worth it...expensive but worth it...

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
What I'm wondering here is do you secure it to your vehicle somehow? I'm sure I'm missing something here, but I'd be leary of someone stealing it. I'm sure you've got that covered though, hence this Q.

For me it is a personal choice/preference..I don't like messing with batteries/inverters and cutoff switches and fuses and all that wiring I am such a putz with all that....I just throw out my Honda2000 and away I go...

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I use a bike chain and lock to secure mine to a spoke in my rims. Nobody will steal it (unless they REALLY want it) and I can never leave it behind!

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have an Espar that was installed by Espar of Michigan 6 years ago in my gas van. It works great. Thermostat control, quiet, small, light, safe, low fuel consumption these are a few of the benefits. Ray and his people are top rate.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
What I'm wondering here is do you secure it to your vehicle somehow? I'm sure I'm missing something here, but I'd be leary of someone stealing it. I'm sure you've got that covered though, hence this Q.

chain and a lock....almost 3 years and no attempts....:D

but then again I don't park in bad areas either, no use on tempting the devil...

TJ959

Veteran Expediter
I had a Wabasco heater. If I had to do it again I'd get the Espar. Nearly froze my buns off in Fargo. Probably wouldn't have hurt to loose a few layers but the overall sensation was quite unpleasant. I enjoy fooling around with batteries and inverters. It gave me something to do on layovers and I learned a lot. I think I could power a little cabin in the woods now and not give my money to the utility company. That's me an old chubby hermit in the woods.

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
Last week I stopped by Espar of Michigan and had an Espar D4 installed. A quick and neat install by none other than Ray himself. Waiting for the weather to change to see how it works.

eb

Can you please tell me the price? Thanks

Dakota

Veteran Expediter

I saw that generator when I stopped by for a cup of joe, It was very small and quiet. looks like and excellent choice for a van:)