Staying warm this winter?

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Given the way that unit works, there's little danger of my using the Coleman unit beyond the test. It would take all night to warm the van enough to be noticeable, by that time you've given up on it and found lodging in a motel anyway. It's just way too small for the job, unless you're ice-fishing and want to warm your hand over it occasionally. The Mr. Heat units are rated for indoor use and they're just plain better anyway. Still with cautions all over the place, they use oxygen and so you have to provide ventilation.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
While we're on the subject of not waking up dead, pay attention to your Espar unit. If you've got the one that mounts inside the vehicle and vents exhaust gases outside, it works by way of a heat exchanger. There is a danger that it can leak, and if it does then you'll get exhaust gases inside the van. I'm reminded of the old Volkswagen heating system, it worked in a similar way. Air would be heated by passing it through a heat exchanger on the engine's exhaust manifold and then piped into the passenger compartment. It sort of worked, I don't recall that it ever worked well. Back in those days, every now and then the exhaust manifolds would leak and then turning on the heat was dangerous. You were pumping engine exhaust right into the car, which couldn't be good for growing children's health.

So--- pay attention to that Espar and make sure the heat exchanger is sound. A rusted-out spot could be deadly.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Diesel doesn't produce carbon monoxide like a gas burning engine does. If you drive a gasser you need a CO detector in the vehicle. If you drive a diesel it's not a bad idea to have one (I've had mine go off because of a car idling next to me) but it's not as much of a necessity.

The way the Espar is designed and installed, it would be very difficult for it to exit exhaust gasses into the vehicle.

peter

Active Expediter
I get my snugger air heater 3 weeks ago for 850 in Chicago. They have mobil unit that will get to you, and save you time. call 7733835240 to contact them.

DST001

Expert Expediter
I just Bought a Webesto Heater for my 08 sprinter put some styrofoam up in the roof with some wood panneling to cover it . I had the heater going for about 15 mins toasty warm thats with out the wall installed to my sleeper area yet looking good :)

denny2010

Expert Expediter
My -40 degree sleeping bag has yet to fail me. Its all i need...

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

susie q 52

Seasoned Expediter
As a member of EO you might be able to win your ESPAR at the Expediter Expo in July like I did. I just had it installed at Thankgiving and boy am I giving thanks!!!!! The installation went so smooth it is the greatest heater and thats saying alot since I have an ONAN and roof air/heater.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As a member of EO you might be able to win your ESPAR at the Expediter Expo in July like I did. I just had it installed at Thankgiving and boy am I giving thanks!!!!! The installation went so smooth it is the greatest heater and thats saying alot since I have an ONAN and roof air/heater.

That would be a miracle if I could win one! I'm planning on having a big west coast load pay for mine that is when I get one. :) For now its me and a good 30 min idle and transfer right over to that sleeping bag and by the time the truck gets cold again which will be about 10 min I should be nice and toasty inside that bag, when I wake, I run to the ignition turn heat on and crawl back into the bag until truck is warm.

I'm sure once I start working more all the luxuries will fall into place like the rest of you expediting veterans. :)

So far I've upgraded to surround sound, subwoofer not yet installed. And upgraded the driver seat to a S8 seat, fully power adjustable in 5 spots, just installed so I'm waiting to see what a 1000 mile trip will feel like on the next run. I'm in a t1n sprinter, not really the best seats.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
An Oregon Aero Softseat and an Espar heater are two essential luxuries in my book.

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
I use an espar d4 in a well insulated sprinter with 1 or 2 Honda 2000's depending on needing to run air cond or not. I heat the entire sprinter and never go above a 30% setting for heat...the Honda generators and the espar heater are both well worth the $$ you will spend...

My only complaint is the air cond(rooftop low profile)is too loud...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I use an espar d4 in a well insulated sprinter with 1 or 2 Honda 2000's depending on needing to run air cond or not. I heat the entire sprinter and never go above a 30% setting for heat...the Honda generators and the espar heater are both well worth the $$ you will spend...

My only complaint is the air cond(rooftop low profile)is too loud...

That is one reason this old pro does not have a rooftop....
1. would have to invest in a bigger generator.
2. would have to have all the wiring and outside rack made to hold this bigger generator.
3. rooftops make far too much noise for ME personally and vibrate the whole van...
4. when it is that hot that my little window AC does little good....it is far cheaper to get a room.....just simplifies all the above...:)

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
I agree....would prob go with a small window model the next time around...mounted thru back door...better aerodynamics...cheaper...and I think one Honda would power it....

guido4475

Not a Member
That is one reason this old pro does not have a rooftop....
1. would have to invest in a bigger generator.
2. would have to have all the wiring and outside rack made to hold this bigger generator.
3. rooftops make far too much noise for ME personally and vibrate the whole van...
4. when it is that hot that my little window AC does little good....it is far cheaper to get a room.....just simplifies all the above...:)

Since when does a rooftop vibrate the whole van? Mine runs smooth, and although noisy form the blower motor in it, it does an awesome job, and never had trouble keeping the van cooled to meat locker status, no matter how hot or humid...it's the way to go...just start the generator, and turn the a/c on...no fighting with it in and out of a window...or in the way inside the van when not used...Well worth the money. Get the biggest btu...The generator uses close to $27.00 of gas in a day with the a/c on, and $12.00 a day without it on...still cheaper than a room...And alot more convenient.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Since when does a rooftop vibrate the whole van? Mine runs smooth, and although noisy form the blower motor in it, it does an awesome job, and never had trouble keeping the van cooled to meat locker status, no matter how hot or humid...it's the way to go...just start the generator, and turn the a/c on...no fighting with it in and out of a window...or in the way inside the van when not used...Well worth the money. Get the biggest btu...The generator uses close to $27.00 of gas in a day with the a/c on, and $12.00 a day without it on...still cheaper than a room...And alot more convenient.

Personal preference.....I suppose...

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
Man! $27.00 a day...or even $12.00?...

6 gal external tank on Honda 2k lasts 4 days running 24 hours a day(without air)....I knew that thing would pay for itself!!...and just plain Honda dependable too!!