So you have a gun in your truck?

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Especially when one is facing the best trained, best armed military in the world....really think our little ole hand guns are going to dent a repressive government run amok?...

Actually, yes. That's what the old Liberator pistols were for, and related to the butterknife method.

Liberator pistols were single shot, .45 pistols that were air dropped to resistance cells in WWII. They were made from sheet metal stampings, and were disposable. The idea was that a resistance fighter would use one to shoot a soldier, take his weapon, and abscond with it. He'd then pass his Liberator on to the next guy for him to do the same. The Liberator could be re-used only so many times before it fell apart. It wasn't designed for long-term use.

Now imagine the same tactic, but with a butterknife, or sharpened screwdriver, hammer, or whatever.

When you don't have your own guns, you just have to use the oppressor's against himself.

Add to that the staggering (but still not enough) number of firearms in private hands in this country. I forget which Founding Father it was who wrote this, but he calculated the highest percentage of citizens who could ever be mustered in an armed force, then compared that small number to the rest of the armed populace, demonstrating that no armed force can withstand "the rest of us" with arms in our hands.

You didn't think every president who ever lost an election left office out of civic duty, did you? I'm sure a handful left only because they knew Americans were armed and wouldn't allow him to stay.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
It would be very hard for the government to take control of major cities with an armed populus.

History shows the opposite to be true. Invading/occupying/oppressive forces usually control the cities, but usually can't control the countryside.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Actually, yes. That's what the old Liberator pistols were for, and related to the butterknife method.

Liberator pistols were single shot, .45 pistols that were air dropped to resistance cells in WWII. They were made from sheet metal stampings, and were disposable. The idea was that a resistance fighter would use one to shoot a soldier, take his weapon, and abscond with it. He'd then pass his Liberator on to the next guy for him to do the same. The Liberator could be re-used only so many times before it fell apart. It wasn't designed for long-term use.

Now imagine the same tactic, but with a butterknife, or sharpened screwdriver, hammer, or whatever.

When you don't have your own guns, you just have to use the oppressor's against himself.

Add to that the staggering (but still not enough) number of firearms in private hands in this country. I forget which Founding Father it was who wrote this, but he calculated the highest percentage of citizens who could ever be mustered in an armed force, then compared that small number to the rest of the armed populace, demonstrating that no armed force can withstand "the rest of us" with arms in our hands.

You didn't think every president who ever lost an election left office out of civic duty, did you? I'm sure a handful left only because they knew Americans were armed and wouldn't allow him to stay.
That is assuming all the citizentry supports the rebellion....it would be chaos at best....another messy civil war...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
The American colonists faced the best trained and armed military in their world.....

Cheri,

The English were a tired bunch of fighters who would not understand how to fight the Americans. We fought in unconventional ways and with weapons that were suited for the fighting at that time.

Amonger, the FP-45 you mentioned is a POS handgun but effective if used right. I do think many of the French Resistance used them to club the Germans to death rather than shoot them:D. Seriously, it wasn't used in France much, it was used on China and other parts of the Pacific campaign.

ts675

Seasoned Expediter
No, a gun is not a gun. A rifle or shotgun is not a concealed weapon. Therefore, you don't need a CCW. All you need to do is carry the ammo separate from the weapon.
That is true however that opens another side of thus issue. Many states regulate the length of the barrel on a shotgun. I for one would not want to try moving around a shotgun w/18 in barrel in a sleeper. In the home a shotgun is imo the best defense but in a truck nah.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

ts675

Seasoned Expediter
18 inch barrel and 26.5 inches overall is the minimum dimensions on a shotgun. That is the federal law, certain states have larger dimension rewuirements.

daw0725

Active Expediter
Could you not just keep a shotgun instead of a handgun?

Personally, I'd rather be robbed than risk getting shot in an attempted robbery, I like living more than I like strangers freight and my laptop.

For me. Yes, a gun is illegal, but when they pull you out of your truck and put a 45 at your head, with the trigger ready to kill you, and a knife in your back, what do you do? This just happened to us last weekend. They got all of our fuel money.

Truck stops need to have better security. This will keep happening until someone stops it. This is appauling.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
18 inch barrel and 26.5 inches overall is the minimum dimensions on a shotgun. That is the federal law, certain states have larger dimension rewuirements.

This is correct, UNLESS, you are the IRS. They are buying shotguns with 14" barrels.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
For me. Yes, a gun is illegal, but when they pull you out of your truck and put a 45 at your head, with the trigger ready to kill you, and a knife in your back, what do you do? This just happened to us last weekend. They got all of our fuel money.

Truck stops need to have better security. This will keep happening until someone stops it. This is appauling.

I'm really sorry to hear that. Can you add any details, such as where it happened, and when? [Day, night?]
I hope you've arranged to fuel with a card in future, avoiding the need for cash in large quantity - it's a scary world sometimes. :(

DieselDriver

Seasoned Expediter
I have a concealed carry permit for all 50 states, would it be legal for me to have a firearm, be it a pistol or shotgun in my truck...I don't go to Canada, but I do go to military bases and prisons.

hettick304

Active Expediter
I have a concealed carry permit for all 50 states, would it be legal for me to have a firearm, be it a pistol or shotgun in my truck...I don't go to Canada, but I do go to military bases and prisons.

From what I under stand is all you can carry is a pocket knife,, I'v got a tire thumper, even though I don't have duels, if you catch my drift,, I'm curious myself, is mace concidered contraband??? Even though I hope I never need protection, it would be some peace of mind to have something. Bases and prisons is deefinitly a H3LL no on fire arms.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
From what I under stand is all you can carry is a pocket knife,, I'v got a tire thumper, even though I don't have duels, if you catch my drift,, I'm curious myself, is mace concidered contraband??? Even though I hope I never need protection, it would be some peace of mind to have something. Bases and prisons is deefinitly a H3LL no on fire arms.

Maybe it was in here or somewhere, but someone said to carry wasp spray cans that shoot a stream 15 or 20 feet or use pepper spray stuff if guns make u nervous. Life has choices and consequences when it comes down to them or you situations out here on the road. You can judge for yourself what u want to defend yourself with out here. (( YOU AND YOU ALONE WILL ALWAYS BE YOUR FIRST RESPONSE DEFENDER ON THE ROAD)) The police are always the last to get to you IMHO.:) Just be aware of your surroundings as much as possible. We all need to be alert and when we are tired and hungry and sleepy , it is tough.

Pakrat

Seasoned Expediter

What is the issuing state? Or do you have multiple permits?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

It would be legal - there is no Federal law prohibiting it, and a CCW good in all states takes care of the reciprocity issue.
If you are leased to a carrier, though, it is quite probably prohibited by the lease [more likely as the carrier gets larger]. Most customers are posting prohibitions on their property, as well.
So the deal is: you can, but you can't.:rolleyes:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It would be legal - there is no Federal law prohibiting it, and a CCW good in all states takes care of the reciprocity issue.
If you are leased to a carrier, though, it is quite probably prohibited by the lease [more likely as the carrier gets larger]. Most customers are posting prohibitions on their property, as well.

Not all states have a CCW law, not all states have reciprocity with those who do OR between states that have them.

We DO have a Constitution that reflects a "natural" right to self defense. That Constitution is ignored.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy

I bet some folks in that IHOP wish they had been armed.