So how long would YOU wait in Albany?

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Delivered Sunday night (or was supposed to, they didn't open until monday morning). Had a load offer Sunday night, but couldn't take it since I couldn't get unloaded, had two more real good load bids Monday, but didn't win them. Had nary a nibble since then. I don't think anywhere around me is any better.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That's the problem, Albany itself isn't all that great, but it's in the middle of a lot of freight, even if it's 100 miles or so to go get it. I'd have waited a few days. Mondays can be weird in expediting, really slow sometimes, so if you don't get loaded on Monday it's not much of a shocker. I'd expect one for Tuesday, and would give it all day, like you did, and now it's Wednesday. I might give it another day, even. Or, by early evening on Wednesday I'd give up and move east, closer to Worcester or Lowell, since no one wants to go east, or I'd move on over the 150 miles or so to Binghampton and hope for something out of there, Ithaca, Elmira or Towanda. It's about the same distance to Syracuse, but you won't be any better off there. The other option is a little closer, down towards Newburg, but there seems to be a lot of stuff there coming out of places like Clifton, NJ going into the City or over to Long Island, short miles, short pay, long frustration. It depends on your carrier and where they are likely to get stuff, too.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I'd have left as ssoon as I dropped head west syracuse at a minimum...but if i had to sit, on a monday, they get 36 hours to load me and I move....and lately I have cut that back to 24-30 hrs with the last 2 times being 20 hrs....my Adult adha is kicking up...:D

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Well if your still there in mid October you can shoot over to the Big E, the New England Exposition in Springfield Mass. it's a country fair for all the New England States. Runs about 10 days.;)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
In the straight truck I really liked Syracuse. No clue what it's like for a van though.

MYGIA

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
24 hours tops - then I would move; maybe south toward NYC or to Syracuse.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Delivered Sunday night (or was supposed to, they didn't open until monday morning). Had a load offer Sunday night, but couldn't take it since I couldn't get unloaded, had two more real good load bids Monday, but didn't win them. Had nary a nibble since then. I don't think anywhere around me is any better.

You could move across the river to Louisville, or, move a bit to Parkersburg, or, move to Minneapolis, or, jes move up to Portland. Thay be lots of Albanys around. Guess it depends onwhich way ya wanna go.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
You could move across the river to Louisville, or, move a bit to Parkersburg, or, move to Minneapolis, or, jes move up to Portland. Thay be lots of Albanys around. Guess it depends onwhich way ya wanna go.
he could take a tour of the Millers plant

fortwayne

Not a Member
Once again, it kind of depends on your carrier, your equipment and how hard your dispatchers and brokers are working for you.

I have learned that what is a bad area for one carrier can be a strong area for another. Before there would be no way I would go to the east coast - now, well if they call, even though I hate the entire east coast - I go where the money is calling and my carrier gets me out of just about any area of the country I go.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
When laying over,a lot depends what size unit.One ex center can be great for some trucks and bad for others.How long to sit,this can only be answered by how you feel,and how much your last load paid.If it was a good load,by moving ,your money per mile might not be as hurt,bad load,probably can't afford to move

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Twenty Four to Fourty Eight hours. That would be it. then I'd be deadheading back to Ohio.:)

Well, at least that's not as far as a deadhead from Florida to Ohio. LOL...

Seriously dude, you need to get over this fixation with Ohio when you decide to move or you'll never make a buck doing this.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
S
Well, at least that's not as far as a deadhead from Florida to Ohio. LOL...

Seriously dude, you need to get over this fixation with Ohio when you decide to move or you'll never make a buck doing this.

That plan was changed.My co and I had a talk,Art is coming back to work,but not 'til next friday,so I'm loading in Seymour Indiana to Talladega Al,and thats only 133 miles to the Nascar race in Atlanta.
I know still a long dead head,but its making me a profit,not much but a little.Sure not going be home for holiday.YOu think dead head from Fl to Ohio is bad,should have been with me when I dead headed to San Clemente Ca from Portland Maine,of course the load I picked up paid $14000

Last edited:

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My post was to Falligator, not you. A long DH once in a while is one thing, I've done them from time to time. Shoot, I DHed from El Paso to Alpena, Mi.! That kind of thing needs to be the rare exception. Glad to see you got the co-driver situation worked out.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Steve, someone walks away from me - that's it. I won't even talk to the guy, let alone let him back into my truck.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I wanted to be in Ohio this weekend too, [especially to see Dabluzeman perform!] but the load I'll pick up later goes to Indy, and a 600 mile DH is just too much, sigh.:(
Bet I get one to Cleveland after I deliver, lol.

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
When any of my trucks deliver to Albany, they always go to either Boston, Binghamton, or Syracuse. Albany tends to be pretty dead.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Long enough to get my SS check?,,,lol,,,IM dead heading to the fridge and to the couch this weekend,,cold brew and such,amen...................:D