Should I hang in there or move on to another Carrier

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If Try Hours is offering a 3k bonus per EO ad, one would think they have freight. Then again, it could be by design that it is unobtainable and just trying to add trucks? Don't know.
Have to say that has been seen more than once.
At the end of the day, you will have to shed the employee mentality and run this like a business. Lots of good advice that I would thoroughly review to determine if it is YOU or the carrier that is the real problem.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
It seems that the OP'er is another of a long list of new people getting into the EXPEDITING business without doing much "homework"....I might be wrong, but i'd be willing to bet that each of his compliants have been covered here more then a few times....

Expectations without the proper knowledge can be a really good way to fail....Take the advise that has been given and go from there, and also, do as much reading here...go back and look at the archives and find topics that you have questions about and become informed...yea ask here too, but the answers can be found here to most everything that you might come up with....

marknolen

Active Expediter
Seems to me that this driver and a third came to the table with just about all the baggage a Carrier could handle.........and are blaming the carrier for giving them an opportunity that they are not taking advantage of.

"Roasted goose hunters", possibly????

Lifestyle.....work for nothing.....starting in our 50's.....stay out for weeks..... letting a "farce" preventable stand because of "money", seems the
tween the line on this one are getting pretty narrow and full.

You are obviously a man that looks for the negatives in life. Simple questions is all I inserted nothing more. Not a big Whaaaa! on my part for sure. I am retired from John Deere after spending 30 years and 4 months there. This is a way to make extra money and keep working since I am so young. I certainly am not taking anyone's job and being greedy myself, because the industry is begging for drivers and the "supply is much lower than the demand". Roasted Goose? If people don't ask questions they don't recieve answers. I am a newbie in this and will continue to ask questions because I want to learn. Not all of life is negative so look for some of the positive. My wife and I
even if we aren't making what we would like at this point are having a blast.
And if I am going to be out 24/7 than you can bet I want as much as I can get for it legally. And until I learn how to get it I will continue to ask.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Keep asking!! You could even send PM's to people, many in here are willing to help.

Don't take some answers personal, this is a tough audience.

tjexpress

Active Expediter
Mark, Im with the same company, i have been doing this for 11 years now and this time of the year is slow, I dont care what company your with. Give it some time it will pick up.:)

Last edited:

vanman10

Expert Expediter
As already said, keep asking those questions, thats how you learn. I am glad you and the wife are enjoying your time on the road. I am also with Try Hours (almost 2 years) and things have been slow for me as well, partly because I don't push as hard during the cold months and spend more time with my family, and partly because freight is slow in January. But things will pickup. Take care.

jbailey13

Active Expediter
I'm a team driver with TryHours and have been sitting near Murfeeboro? TN since Monday afternoon when we unloaded. So you are not the only ones sitting... Good things happen to those who wait ;-)

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
Hey Mark-

Lots of good advice on here. Except for one. You've probably figured it out already. As has been said by a couple of the solid ones, keep on asking Q's.

As for the kernel, the best thing ya can do is ignore the guy. Then any time he yaps you'll see a message like this:

This message is hidden because x06col is on your ignore list.

You'll never get any positive or helpful information out of him. You'll only get baseless accusations. He adds nothing to this board. He's 100% on the side of the company, no matter what the facts are.

I'm not implying you're blaming anyone for anything. Simply saying when people get hooked up w/ shady companies, kernel kaka will be right there taking the side of the company. Think of him sort of as OJ's lawyer. I swear on my life, if OJ ran a trucking company instead of a football, good 'ol kernal there would have thought he was innocent too.

Others advice is generally pretty solid. They might not agree w/ ya, or give ya a different perspective. Either way, they're not predisposed to you're a lazy bum who's out to shaft someone.

Good luck w/ your situation & hope it picks up some for ya.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
You are obviously a man that looks for the negatives in life. Simple questions is all I inserted nothing more. Not a big Whaaaa! on my part for sure. I am retired from John Deere after spending 30 years and 4 months there. This is a way to make extra money and keep working since I am so young. I certainly am not taking anyone's job and being greedy myself, because the industry is begging for drivers and the "supply is much lower than the demand". Roasted Goose? If people don't ask questions they don't recieve answers. I am a newbie in this and will continue to ask questions because I want to learn. Not all of life is negative so look for some of the positive. My wife and I
even if we aren't making what we would like at this point are having a blast.
And if I am going to be out 24/7 than you can bet I want as much as I can get for it legally. And until I learn how to get it I will continue to ask.

Well then, are there any answers that you recieved that are worthy of your consideration? There are some really good possible solutions to your income improvement suggested here. Keep having a blast while changing some things. Let us know which you changed, and which had the most impact.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lots of good advice on here. Except for one. You've probably figured it out already.

As for the kernel, the best thing ya can do is ignore the guy. Then any time he yaps you'll see a message like this:

You'll never get any positive or helpful information out of him. You'll only get baseless accusations. He adds nothing to this board. He's 100% on the side of the company, no matter what the facts are.

The vast majority of E.O. members are single truck O/O's, drivers or wannabe drivers. I find it refreshing to get a company owner's (former company owner) take on things. You could put the Colonel on ignore but you would be reducing the number of active E.O. members that are company owners or fleet owners by 1. That number is already very small.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
The vast majority of E.O. members are single truck O/O's, drivers or wannabe drivers. I find it refreshing to get a company owner's (former company owner) take on things. You could put the Colonel on ignore but you would be reducing the number of active E.O. members that are company owners or fleet owners by 1. That number is already very small.

Thanks Moot for reenforcing the commenting credentials.......and I might add.....been my observations that folks carrying an attitude usually are resigned to live in a mobile home for a lifetime stead of a year or two to get started.

Read the advice here, and if you cannot or won't gitrdone......then stay on the porch, cause it won't be good for you or anyone you are associated with.