Should I hang in there or move on to another Carrier

marknolen

Active Expediter
Good afternoon!
I need some suggestions please. My wife and I started in this Expediting business out on the road December 2nd 2011 with a small company called Try Hours. I'm not going to bad mouth this company this is not my purpose. They told us when we came in December that both December and January are very slow. Boy they weren't kidding! We have basically been idle a huge part of this time. Without exaggeration we do a load and then "sometimes" sit 3 days before we get anything else. We don't own our own truck and are using theirs on a 60/40 split with us getting the 60 but having to pay "all" fuel costs, they get and pay for everything else with the 40. Most the time the FSC is not enough to cover the fuel and then it comes right off the top of our check leaving very little left for anything really. So it is slow, but it aint that slow I see. Like I said we are with a small company. And I have to say the people at this company are as nice as you would ever want to be associated with, but the trouble is they don't have the workload like the bigger companies. The heavy hitters, like FedEx, Panther, Landstar, will pull up next to us in the RV section of the truck stop, sit a while and then be on their way with another job, we still sit.
Here is our issues affecting us from getting on with the busier companies.
Fedex, wont hire "me" because I have a couple preventables that are less than "3 years old". The one preventable I claim, the other is a farce and won't go away. I tried and without hiring an attorney "money" I don't know what to do with it but sit on it for another year and wait.
The other problem is my wife has a Class B "learners permit" and experience is getting in her way. I have a Class A, with 4.5 years driving experience.
Who would hire us knowing my wife has a learners permit only until she can drive and adjust to the truck that could keep us very busy for another year, and who knows if they are great to work for permanently?
Expediter Services got us over to Try hours with a promise of delivering a truck there with an automatic transmission. The truck that they did get for us wound up being promised to FedEx and had to go there. Now they say hey we are still behind you hang in there and we will try our best to get a truck "no promises" for you but make sure you "explore all your options".
I like the people at Expediter Services as well, very friendly, and call to talk personally telling us how things actually are. No crap!

That is why I am here now coming to you guys. Who will hire us that can keep us vey busy and pay a 60/40, with them taking the 60% plus paying all repairs plus the fuel, tolls, and scales?

We had a couple last night call us with a truck that did have a automatic transmission that wanted to pay us only 28% leaving them with 72% to pay for everything else. With that kind of pay a couple would not make nothing.

At 28% if a couple were lucky enough to get 4000 miles a week at Try Hours pay of 1.20 per mile that would pay $4800 - 28%= $1,344.00 before taxes for the entire week for two people to be out there for 24/7.

No way, in my opinion that is a rip off! Does anyone else feel that is fair pay? How many people are getting 4000 miles in a week "regularly" anyway ? So any mileage less than my example would put people on skid row. I'm sorry but I can't work for that. Can you?
We are a couple in our mid 50's, our kids are raised and gone. We want this job lifestyle at least for now. Is there anyone out there that will hire us that you know of or is reading this now.

We are more than willing to be out on the road for "weeks" at a time if the pay is rewarding.

Please call my cell phone number only if you can pay us a fair days wage, in exchange for a fair days labor. If you are greedy, please leave us alone. Thanks for any "positive" input we recieve. Mark 309-373-5730

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
First, sitting for three days between loads is not all that uncommon, especially when it's slow. But it can absolutely happen during the busy periods. Just depends on where you are sitting. Second, larger carriers aren't as busy per-truck as you might think. Many of those trucks sit, as well (think of the philosophy of having a truck or van on ever corner, just in case). Thirdly, very, very few carriers, and even fewer of the larger ones, will take you on with two preventables in three years, not when they have a stack of zero preventables in three years just sitting right there for the picking and choosing. You may have to sit tight and suck it up for a year.

In any case, having your wife move from learner permit to actual CDL should be a priority. You can count on one hand how many carriers will allow a driver with a learner permit to operate a commercial motor vehicle under their authority, and you'll have plenty of fingers left over.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
While the west coast can be a problem, he could be anywhere and stuck sitting. It's a bit stagnant at the moment.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Make it your goal to stick it out with any carrier for at least one full year. In my book the only time you hightail it out of there before a year is if you encounter problems on the level of criminal. You started driving at the worst possible time of the year,so you can't judge the one company as bad when everyone else was struggling too. Use the year to learn the company's system. Get with Operations for a sitdown to discuss your expectations and ask for advice that will help you ease into the company's way of working. Use the time to learn more about expediting and get all your licenses up to speed. Use the time to better research the other options out there. If you start hopping from company to company a month or two at a time, it won't be long before you will be unhireable because of an unstable work history.

eb

BigCat

Expert Expediter
It is pretty slow every where this time of year. Some are doing better than others but noone is back at full speed. I have heard alot of good about try hours so I'm sure once expediting completely picks up you will run as hard as everyone else.

Are they giving you solo runs because the wifes permit? I know when I had mine my trainer had to stay on duty when I drove. That could be the issue and I would have her take her road test and see If it improves.

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
It is pretty slow every where this time of year. Some are doing better than others but noone is back at full speed. I have heard alot of good about try hours so I'm sure once expediting completely picks up you will run as hard as everyone else.

Are they giving you solo runs because the wifes permit? I know when I had mine my trainer had to stay on duty when I drove. That could be the issue and I would have her take her road test and see If it improves.

Correct. Until the permit is a CDL they will treat the truck as a solo.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Correct. Until the permit is a CDL they will treat the truck as a solo.

Yea that's what I was thinking. Same as a kid with a learners permit.

Also as stated chances of finding another carrier who will sign you on with a permit is going to be very slim.

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
You probably haven't given your current carrier enough of an opportunity. I know nothing about them, but it seems everyone is pretty slow right now...it is January.

You can't change the things that are out of your control, but you can change the one significant thing that IS in your control. You have the perfect opportunity to spend some time...a lot of time... going over everything from the pre-trip inspection to practice driving to backing, parking, docking, etc, etc. Use the time to get that learner's permit turned into a CDL. That will benefit you now AND later. You have the lemons, and with just a little effort you'll have some lemonade.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
A couple of things come to mind, Stay where you are at for one year or so, you have a good fleet owner so jumping to a different fleet owner will not help anything. I assume you are waiting on an automatic so your wife can drive it and then pass her CDL. In the mean time try teaching her how to drive the manual transmission.

Slow down to the mid fifties when driving, and improve your MPG. Try and get your driving record squared away, after all it is yours.

Four thousand miles a week is not a realistic expectation (when you are a team). Closer to 2750 a week if the economy doesn't get worse.

Get a MENTOR!

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
I think the first misconception about expenses is the fuel surcharge. It's a surcharge, not a "charge." The fuel surcharge was instituted to offset the cost of running when fuel rose about about $1.25 a gallon. It may or may not equal the actual cost of running, which is why the one buying fuel is getting 60% of the take, compared to the other party's 40%. That's why if you get a deal where the owner pays for fuel, you will only get 40%. Budget accordingly.

Our 2012 number have been nowhere near expectations. I know it's only the first two weeks, but it seems like a different planet from the first couple weeks of 2011.That doesn't mean some won't have a couple of awesome weeks back to back. Just know that things might not go your way. Unfortunately, some who enter the industry with desperate needs end up making bad decisions for themselves because they just don't know their cost of operation. Sitting is most definitely harder during the winter (at least for me), but getting antsy can cost you a lot of money.

I wish all newbies would understand that the economy is still on a downturn, and expedite is not the instant provider of success. If you can make it through this, you can make it through almost anything.

As far as changing carriers goes, anytime you change carriers, it will cost you time and money.

DieselDriver

Seasoned Expediter
You have to much baggage, find a less demanding career...the issues you have are way to much to be handled here.
You need to find a driver that has been or is about broke to learn what not to do and then a successful one to figure out what you should do.
I don't care if you have been with a company for a day or 10 years, if you are not getting enough miles you need to leave. As you will learn most recruiters are bare faced liars and lie to your face and then smile at you like a used car dealer. But ALL trucks sit time to time.
As you can see there are to many topics to cover here, all I can tell you is I went through 3 companies in my first year until I found a good one...I went from having my last $200.00 in my fuel tank and being broke to running 2000 miles on a bad week and up to 3500-4000 miles in a good week...driving solo...and I still have complaints with my current company, but they don't lie to me, so I will stay until something better comes along...good luck and safe driving

BigCat

Expert Expediter
You have to much baggage, find a less demanding career...the issues you have are way to much to be handled here.
You need to find a driver that has been or is about broke to learn what not to do and then a successful one to figure out what you should do.
I don't care if you have been with a company for a day or 10 years, if you are not getting enough miles you need to leave. As you will learn most recruiters are bare faced liars and lie to your face and then smile at you like a used car dealer. But ALL trucks sit time to time.
As you can see there are to many topics to cover here, all I can tell you is I went through 3 companies in my first year until I found a good one...I went from having my last $200.00 in my fuel tank and being broke to running 2000 miles on a bad week and up to 3500-4000 miles in a good week...driving solo...and I still have complaints with my current company, but they don't lie to me, so I will stay until something better comes along...good luck and safe driving

Why? He isn't asking if he should quit expediting. He is asking if he should switch carriers.

Also he has only been there for a month. Started in the slowest months which was a problem as far as the miles.

Stick it out and see if it gets better. If not then leave but I'm just saying it has been slow for me and many others here.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Good afternoon!
I need some suggestions please.

1. Take Jefferson's fuel surcharge information to heart. He describes it correctly.

2. Distinguish between the things you can control and those you cannot.

The economy and season is beyond your ability to affect. You can only view it as best you can (a skill that can be developed) and make plans accordingly. There is little you can do to get your carrier to gin up more freight. That work lies more in their hands than yours. You have some influence with your fleet owner where your continuing communications and performance may result in getting the truck you want. But when it comes to total control, you need look no further than yourselves. Think about the things you can do, on your own, right now, that will improve your circumstances.

Your wife has a learner's permit and you have access to a truck with air brakes. That puts her just a road test away from getting a proper CDL. If a HAZMAT endorsement is needed (enhances future opportunities if nothing else) get it too.

3. Turn obstacles into challenges that you are determined to overcome.

Yes, an automatic transmission is preferable, but if you cannot get your hands on a truck that has one right now, work with what you have. Millions of drivers, including many women, have driven trucks with standard transmissions. That skill can be learned. Unlike many expediter wannabees, your wife has the truck and time to practice with, and you to coach her as needed.

It may well be a mental barrier that keeps you focused on an automatic transmission that is out of your reach at the moment. Focus on the transmission at hand. Change your minds about what you believe she can drive. Learn not just to drive that truck but to master it.

Who says she can't drive a standard transmission truck and why do you believe it? I know a whole lot of truck drivers who would say she can.

4. Focus on the positive. Time is on your side. Every day that ticks by is a day closer to putting three years between you and two preventables. You are in a truck right now that can be used to get the CDL your wife needs. You are connected to a fleet owner that is highly regarded by many who drive their trucks.

5. Use your waiting time to develop yourself as a professional. You are already doing that by reaching out here and talking to others about the industry and your business. Identify subjects to study that will expand your industry knowledge and improve your decsion making.

If you have a TV in the truck, leave it off until you have studied for an hour. In your wife's case, use the time to study and practice with and understand standard transmissions. In your case, focus on topics that will help you increase your income and understand freight better.

You have been told freight is slow this time of year. That may well be correct but before accepting that as the final word, study that statement a bit. Why is it true? Is it true for all carriers and classes of freight? Is it true in all parts of the country? Some people seem to be running. What are they doing that you are not? Among trucks at your carrier, some will be busier than others. What are they doing that the less busy ones are not?

Make a study of this by talking to other drivers, people at your carrier, your fleet owner, and others who are in a position to know. See: Getting Freight; What do the Busy Drivers Do?

Since getting freight to generate revenue is an immediate priority, use your non-freight-hauling time to learn more about getting freight.

You can use your free time to study the contract under wich you operate and the lease terms between your carrier and fleet owner.

Money is another immediate priority. That's another topic you may wish to focus on. Do you know your operating costs exactly? Do you know your personal expenses to the penny? Do you know how to develop not only a budget but he mindset to enjoy keeping a good set of business books? All of that can be learned.

If such topics seem beyond you, change your mind about that. Just as your wife can change her mind about her ability to master a standard transmission, both of you can change your minds about mastering the topics successful expediters master.

Last edited:

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think the first misconception about expenses is the fuel surcharge. It's a surcharge, not a "charge." The fuel surcharge was instituted to offset the cost of running when fuel rose about about $1.25 a gallon.

I agree with Jeff but I have come to use the f.s.c. as a means to cover the rate cuts I have taken over the years. I rarely accept a load where the f.s.c. does not cover at least 90% of the total fuel cost and sometimes I make money on the f.s.c.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think the first misconception about expenses is the fuel surcharge. It's a surcharge, not a "charge." The fuel surcharge was instituted to offset the cost of running when fuel rose about about $1.25 a gallon. It may or may not equal the actual cost of running, which is why the one buying fuel is getting 60% of the take, compared to the other party's 40%. That's why if you get a deal where the owner pays for fuel, you will only get 40% OF THE LINEHAUL. Budget accordingly.

Our 2012 number have been nowhere near expectations. I know it's only the first two weeks, but it seems like a different planet from the first couple weeks of 2011.That doesn't mean some won't have a couple of awesome weeks back to back. Just know that things might not go your way. Unfortunately, some who enter the industry with desperate needs end up making bad decisions for themselves because they just don't know their cost of operation. Sitting is most definitely harder during the winter (at least for me), but getting antsy can cost you a lot of money.

I wish all newbies would understand that the economy is still on a downturn, and expedite is not the instant provider of success. If you can make it through this, you can make it through almost anything.

As far as changing carriers goes, anytime you change carriers, it will cost you time and money.

For clarification...see bold in red....I think it is important to add,,,

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Seems to me that this driver and a third came to the table with just about all the baggage a Carrier could handle.........and are blaming the carrier for giving them an opportunity that they are not taking advantage of.

"Roasted goose hunters", possibly????

Lifestyle.....work for nothing.....starting in our 50's.....stay out for weeks..... letting a "farce" preventable stand because of "money", seems the
tween the line on this one are getting pretty narrow and full.

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good afternoon!
I need some suggestions please. My wife and I started in this Expediting business out on the road December 2nd 2011 with a small company called Try Hours. I'm not going to bad mouth this company this is not my purpose. They told us when we came in December that both December and January are very slow. Boy they weren't kidding! We have basically been idle a huge part of this time. Without exaggeration we do a load and then "sometimes" sit 3 days before we get anything else. We don't own our own truck and are using theirs on a 60/40 split with us getting the 60 but having to pay "all" fuel costs, they get and pay for everything else with the 40. Most the time the FSC is not enough to cover the fuel and then it comes right off the top of our check leaving very little left for anything really. So it is slow, but it aint that slow I see. Like I said we are with a small company. And I have to say the people at this company are as nice as you would ever want to be associated with, but the trouble is they don't have the workload like the bigger companies. The heavy hitters, like FedEx, Panther, Landstar, will pull up next to us in the RV section of the truck stop, sit a while and then be on their way with another job, we still sit.
Here is our issues affecting us from getting on with the busier companies.
Fedex, wont hire "me" because I have a couple preventables that are less than "3 years old". The one preventable I claim, the other is a farce and won't go away. I tried and without hiring an attorney "money" I don't know what to do with it but sit on it for another year and wait.
The other problem is my wife has a Class B "learners permit" and experience is getting in her way. I have a Class A, with 4.5 years driving experience.
Who would hire us knowing my wife has a learners permit only until she can drive and adjust to the truck that could keep us very busy for another year, and who knows if they are great to work for permanently?
Expediter Services got us over to Try hours with a promise of delivering a truck there with an automatic transmission. The truck that they did get for us wound up being promised to FedEx and had to go there. Now they say hey we are still behind you hang in there and we will try our best to get a truck "no promises" for you but make sure you "explore all your options".
I like the people at Expediter Services as well, very friendly, and call to talk personally telling us how things actually are. No crap!

That is why I am here now coming to you guys. Who will hire us that can keep us vey busy and pay a 60/40, with them taking the 60% plus paying all repairs plus the fuel, tolls, and scales?

We had a couple last night call us with a truck that did have a automatic transmission that wanted to pay us only 28% leaving them with 72% to pay for everything else. With that kind of pay a couple would not make nothing.

At 28% if a couple were lucky enough to get 4000 miles a week at Try Hours pay of 1.20 per mile that would pay $4800 - 28%= $1,344.00 before taxes for the entire week for two people to be out there for 24/7.

No way, in my opinion that is a rip off! Does anyone else feel that is fair pay? How many people are getting 4000 miles in a week "regularly" anyway ? So any mileage less than my example would put people on skid row. I'm sorry but I can't work for that. Can you?
We are a couple in our mid 50's, our kids are raised and gone. We want this job lifestyle at least for now. Is there anyone out there that will hire us that you know of or is reading this now.

We are more than willing to be out on the road for "weeks" at a time if the pay is rewarding.

Please call my cell phone number only if you can pay us a fair days wage, in exchange for a fair days labor. If you are greedy, please leave us alone. Thanks for any "positive" input we recieve. Mark 309-373-5730

I am sorry..but maybe you should just do something else....you have your heads in a cloud...see IN BOLD....first of all 4,000 miles as you are a solo at this moment...ain't going to happen....not on average...almost $1400 a week and NO responsibilities toward truck ain't that bad in your situation.....beggars can't be too chosey...
For real you have nothing to offer a carrier besides warm a seat and hold the wheel...Good Luck

paullud

Veteran Expediter

So you want an owner to be more concerned with your greed?

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
"Please call my cell phone number only if you can pay us a fair days wage, in exchange for a fair days labor. If you are greedy, please leave us alone. Thanks for any "positive" input we recieve. Mark 309-373-5730"

There are no "wages" in this business. When you decided to become an expediter you started you own small business. Looking at this as "being hired" or "getting a wage" will almost insure that you will end up losing out. It is a business and needs to be treated as such.

Most the time the FSC is not enough to cover the fuel and then it comes right off the top of our check leaving very little left for anything really.

The FSC is not intended to cover your fuel costs 100%. It is intended only to help offset the expense.