Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Trucker Path is pretty decent.. You can filter for Walmarts, truck stops, fuel stops, even Thermo King and other services.

I also have DAT Trucker,, which has parking information. It's not as good as Trucker Path, tho It's better for truckers who use the DAT load boards

Reactions: RoadTime

guido4475

Not a Member
Trucker Path is pretty decent.. You can filter for Walmarts, truck stops, fuel stops, even Thermo King and other services.

I also have DAT Trucker,, which has parking information. It's not as good as Trucker Path, tho It's better for truckers who use the DAT load boards

I had it, but forgot why I deleted it.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
At night the Walmart in Van Wert looks like a truck stop. Eventually Walmart will ban trucks at all there stores rather than a select few. I can think of a few Walmarts that steel girders over the entrances at the 10' level with signage banning trucks. The Coralville, IA and Louisville stores are a couple.

guido4475

Not a Member
At night the Walmart in Van Wert looks like a truck stop. Eventually Walmart will ban trucks at all there stores rather than a select few. I can think of a few Walmarts that steel girders over the entrances at the 10' level with signage banning trucks. The Coralville, IA and Louisville stores are a couple.

Like I said in a different thread, Walmart told the hired parking lot management company that they are tired of paying for knocked down lightpoles, run over bushes and curbs, smashed carts, etc. Truckdrivers bring it upon themselves.

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The Walmart in the Wisconsin Dells area (I-90 Exit 89) has had signs posted no truck parking for about a year. The last time I stopped there were a few trucks parked next door at Home Depot.

For overnight van parking at Cabelas, do you park in the truck lot or the car lot?

Any vanners overnight at the Hoffman Estates Cabelas just north of I-90 northwest of Chicago; or the one on the east side, south of I-80 off Indianapolis Blvd?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
For overnight van parking at Cabelas, do you park in the truck lot or the car lot?
I park around back with the trucks and RVs. Less likely to bother anyone or be bothered. And it dramatically reduces the chance of door dings.

I have parked 3 out 4 times at Hoffman Estates They have striped truck parking over on the side, dnd I just perk in a car parking space in the next row, usually farthest away from the building. They have a 6ssty elk burger in there

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Trucker Path is pretty decent..
Do you pay the membership fee?

I don't. Free version works good enough for me.
Same here, I did not buy it. I only use Trucker Path and DAT Trucker about 2 or 3 times a year. In a van, those apps can come in handy when you're an hour or more from the closest truck stop, and the apps can give you some ideas. I imagine they are far more useful for big trucks.

guido4475

Not a Member
Well, my multicarrier friend is at the T/A across from the Dallas Flying J. They just put a florescent notice on his van with no explanation other than no vans up front....

Just an FYI...

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Well...as an emergency I will use a Walmart first, truck stop second...

Last 12 years, first rest stop on the way home has served me just fine. Got tired back in 2006 of self important employees / bored police knocking on the van.

Never been bothered by anyone at a state rest stop, ever. And no money sucking temptations on the way to the bathroom!

Certain rest areas appreciate a chat with the staff if staying longer than the day, all have been great to me. Most I've ever had to do was move farther from the front doors in TN (which I would do anyway)

Edit: also never had a "door ding" probably due to parking near people that actually own their vehicles...

Last edited:
Reactions: guido4475

guido4475

Not a Member
I like most Walmarts for the peacefulness and cleanliness. Mainly in the southern states, I notice that the Flying Pilots are becoming overtaken by the homeless living in their vehicles. I've seen a girl living in her car actually open the door, put her feet on the curb, and whizz right in broad daylight. Nice...(I have the pictures to prove it)...lol The parking lots are filthy and stink, even up front. Not all, but quite a few. Than there are the bobtails...wedging themselves in between cars and vans...idling...weedburner exhaust....

Reactions: brokcanadian

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I Expedited 10 years but I never entered the typical lifestyle.
My “worst” conditions were a new Volvo with a 72 inch ARI. 500 hp.
People felt sorry for me in the 72 inch sleeper.
Dinette, 2 burner cooktop, large fridge, convection microwave, Direct TV, Espar ( or webastco ) Onan, roof air, and a small bed so the wife couldn’t get too far away.
We suffered through that by running a Tucson/ San Diego/ San Fran triangle for 5 years.
Typically 4 days per week with a private parking space in Fontana and a new car there.
1000 to 2000 miles per week at AA&E or TVAL short haul rates.
We enjoyed it and stayed out of truckstops and rest areas for the most part. Had truck parking near sisters pool in Phoenix and truck parking at a pastor friends church in a small town outside Sacramento.
I’m thankful I missed the typical lifestyle.
In ten years probably less than ten trips to border towns and can’t remember an auto plant load.
Why am I here?
Like Rags, too much free time in retirement.