Cargo Van Rogers, Mn T/A...

guido4475

Not a Member
Good morning.....

I love a T/A and Petro. They make me feel welcome. Their facilities are usually hospitable and clean, including the restrooms. Parking lots are usually kept up in all ways, unlike the Flying Pilots.

Van expeditors are generally a quiet, neat and clean type of people, respectful of their surroundings. Our vehicles are usually quiet when idling.

So, imagine my surprise when I am outside, checking fluids, etc this morning at the Rogers, Mn T/A, when a T/A employee comes up to me, pamplets in hand, instructing me that expedite vans are no longer allowed to park up front, but in the designated "bobtail" section in the large truck lot. There are 7 expedite vans here so far.

I kindy ask him why. He responds with " door dings". People are complaining about door dings. And he goes on to say that vans are too big for these spaces, in which I asked him, "so a full size suv is not??"...

I went onto explain to him how we vanners prefer quiet surroundings, not the noise of a bobtail idling, the smell of the big trucks, the smell of piss, the worry of being waken up to being backed into. ( yes, that has happened)...anyways, nothing I said or suggested was going to phase this guy. Im not sure if this is an isolated rule, or chainwide, but just thought I'd give everyone a heads up. They just errected a sign in the front parking lot. Id post a picture of it, but this website says the file is too large.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Good morning.....

I love a T/A and Petro. They make me feel welcome. Their facilities are usually hospitable and clean, including the restrooms. Parking lots are usually kept up in all ways, unlike the Flying Pilots.

Van expeditors are generally a quiet, neat and clean type of people, respectful of their surroundings. Our vehicles are usually quiet when idling.

So, imagine my surprise when I am outside, checking fluids, etc this morning at the Rogers, Mn T/A, when a T/A employee comes up to me, pamplets in hand, instructing me that expedite vans are no longer allowed to park up front, but in the designated "bobtail" section in the large truck lot. There are 7 expedite vans here so far.

I kindy ask him why. He responds with " door dings". People are complaining about door dings. And he goes on to say that vans are too big for these spaces, in which I asked him, "so a full size suv is not??"...

I went onto explain to him how we vanners prefer quiet surroundings, not the noise of a bobtail idling, the smell of the big trucks, the smell of piss, the worry of being waken up to being backed into. ( yes, that has happened)...anyways, nothing I said or suggested was going to phase this guy. Im not sure if this is an isolated rule, or chainwide, but just thought I'd give everyone a heads up. They just errected a sign in the front parking lot. Id post a picture of it, but this website says the file is too large.

So they continue to try and improve the parking for all, at the expense of few, and he complains.

guido4475

Not a Member
Good morning.....

So they continue to try and improve the parking for all, at the expense of few, and he complains.

What do you drive van or straight? So do you think it is smart to have unregulated vans taking up space that regulated vehicles need more?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
You can call TA corporate and get a clarification Find out if this new bobtail parking space rule is corporate wide.

A similar situation happened a few years ago at the TA in Ontario, CA. They were kicking expediters off the lot and telling everyone to go around back. I called to get a clarification and the next day got a call from someone really high up at the TA, and a few hours later got a call from the manager of that TA. The policy hadvbeen clarified just that quick, and expediters could park out front again.

Very different lots in Rogers and Ontario, though, so I dunno. Never been a fan of parking there in Rogers. The lot is tight and crowded. I will say that I've received far more door dings there than I've given out (which is zero). I'll park there in a pinch, but I'm just as likely to go around the corner to Cabella's or down to Walmart

guido4475

Not a Member
You can call TA corporate and get a clarification Find out if this new bobtail parking space rule is corporate wide.

A similar situation happened a few years ago at the TA in Ontario, CA. They were kicking expediters off the lot and telling everyone to go around back. I called to get a clarification and the next day got a call from someone really high up at the TA, and a few hours later got a call from the manager of that TA. The policy hadvbeen clarified just that quick, and expediters could park out front again.

Very different lots in Rogers and Ontario, though, so I dunno. Never been a fan of parking there in Rogers. The lot is tight and crowded. I will say that I've received far more door dings there than I've given out (which is zero). I'll park there in a pinch, but I'm just as likely to go around the corner to Cabella's or down to Walmart

Yes, I spent the rest of the day at Cabella's as well. Far more quiet.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This has been now reported at isolated locations for TA, Loves & Pilot/Flying J. Go through threads for this year alone ...

My take ..
Certain locations are putting this policy into place for a variety of reasons. Simply too many vans not to be noticed anymore.

At least you weren't woken up in the middle of the night or had your vehicle towed.

Fortunately there's plenty of other options for a quiet nights rest.

Reactions: Worn Out Manager

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
All in all I do like the Cabella's there because it's so quiet and you won't get bothered, and you're not bothering anyone else .

Can't park at Stockmen's anymore, not unless you have a fuel receipt displayed on your driver side door window.

Reactions: skyraider

guido4475

Not a Member
All in all I do like the Cabella's there because it's so quiet and you won't get bothered, and you're not bothering anyone else .

Can't park at Stockmen's anymore, not unless you have a fuel receipt displayed on your driver side door window.

Stockmans has an excellent fish dinner. Or at least they used to back in the day. But I never cared for the noisy area, either. The Inner Grove Heights Pilot was not very van freindly the last time I was there years ago.

Reactions: Turtle

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Knot just we vanners that are overpopulated. Hard to go past an on/off ramp at night that doesn't have a row of 18 wheelers lined up or a rest area where they are on the shoulder out onto the highway. I often wonder if it's the "hours of service" rules or just that many more trucks.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Knot that it matters, but the problem is a lack of big truck parking spots in the locations where they are most needed.

Worn Out Manager

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Knot that it matters, but the problem is a lack of big truck parking spots in the locations where they are most needed.
Oh, no question! I have also noticed that the newer Loves & PFJ'S do NOT have as many T/T spaces as the older ones. They are focused on selling fuel and retail at C-Store.

Reactions: ntimevan

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Oh, no question! I have also noticed that the newer Loves & PFJ'S do NOT have as many T/T spaces as the older ones. They are focused on selling fuel and retail at C-Store.

Not true with the Loves. Most of the new ones I've seen have plenty of parking. Not to mention they're redoing a number of them, and adding more parking.

guido4475

Not a Member
I'd rather run at night. Less 2 week wonders out there, less car traffic, better time can be made...most of the "solar powered" drivers all tucked away in their sleepers....lol the whole driving process is just more speedy at night.

The only thing to worry about is deer when running at night.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'd rather run at night. Less 2 week wonders out there, less car traffic, better time can be made...most of the "solar powered" drivers all tucked away in their sleepers....lol the whole driving process is just more speedy at night.

The only thing to worry about is deer when running at night.
I used to like driving at night because you can get away with some crazy stuff you can't during the daytime. You're more invisible at night lol.

robin280

Seasoned Expediter
The TA in Denton, Texas made me move from in front to in back. They guy carrying the clipboard came out and informed me where to park, walked a little bit to show me, then went back inside. After I moved my van to the unobvious van parking, then I had to go inside and sign the clipboard the guy had been carrying. I don't go there anymore. Now back to Love's. I was kicked out at 3am from the Loves on the south side of Memphis, because of their 2 hour signs.I stayed away from all Love's for a while, but eventually stopped in once in a while. I stopped at the new Love's in Sidney, Ohio last week. Beautiful store, very spacious. I needed a copy of my BOL so I went to the fuel desk. They charged me $2 for single copy, not a FAX! When I explained that a copy only costs customers 25 cents, the manager told me it is a customer print and it all costs $2 per page. I'm off of Love's again. The only business they will get from me is my BATHROOM business.

guido4475

Not a Member
The TA in Denton, Texas made me move from in front to in back. They guy carrying the clipboard came out and informed me where to park, walked a little bit to show me, then went back inside. After I moved my van to the unobvious van parking, then I had to go inside and sign the clipboard the guy had been carrying. I don't go there anymore. Now back to Love's. I was kicked out at 3am from the Loves on the south side of Memphis, because of their 2 hour signs.I stayed away from all Love's for a while, but eventually stopped in once in a while. I stopped at the new Love's in Sidney, Ohio last week. Beautiful store, very spacious. I needed a copy of my BOL so I went to the fuel desk. They charged me $2 for single copy, not a FAX! When I explained that a copy only costs customers 25 cents, the manager told me it is a customer print and it all costs $2 per page. I'm off of Love's again. The only business they will get from me is my BATHROOM business.

It's a shakedown that is only going to get worse as time goes on, unfortunately. Drivers are being taken advantage of.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
That TA in Denton, the lot is not inviting or conducive for van parking. Been there once ,and the few grew times I've been up there I've just gone to the Love's without any problems

That Love's in Memphis, at least they're consistent about kicking vans off the lot. I hardly ever see any parked there. Many years ago I pulled in there to grab something to eat, rhythm pulled over to the side lot to eat it, and was heading to Jackson. It wasn't 5 minutes before they were knocking on the door to kick me out. They at least let me finish eating. Never been back there.

I stay at Love's quite a bit, even though their drinks and snack are even more expensive than a PFJ I've rarely had any problems. It seems that you're more likely to have a parking problem at one that's close to or inside a bigger city. Although, just last week I parked at the one downtown on the river next to the Thermo King in St Louis for 2 days with no problem. I stay at the one in Perrysburg all the time. But my primary spots are PFJ and Walmart

There are lots of Walmarts where you can't park, tho. I usually check out the Google satellite view of one before I go there, to see if there are any tractors parked there, and to see the size and layout of the lot.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
There are lots of Walmarts where you can't park, tho. I usually check out the Google satellite view of one before I go there, to see if there are any tractors parked there, and to see the size and layout of the lot.
There was a thread a while back about which walmart was ok and which was not. Maybe it can be found.

Reactions: Turtle and ntimevan