Roads are a Shambles

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It doesn't matter where I drive every road I seem to run down is full of Pot Holes and one can see the Rebar in the cement. All the money that has " went into the Nations Highways " I sure don't see it. I see a lot of Cones and Barrels but no real road work. I walked under a bridge in Memphis Indiana Exit 16 and the Concrete was falling off the Bridge when a big truck drove across it. I look up and see the Metal of the Bridge that was once coverage by the concrete. I seen the same up in Michigan and over in Ill over by Chicago O hare. Pa I-80 and 70 and 76 is the same on the roads the same Big Pot Holes that been there on these roads for the last 2 years. Let not forget about 95 over by the Philly Airport. Then Let us not forget he Infamous NJ 295 and its Turn Pike as well and the Big Pot Hole festivities that displayed on the Bill Boards by the Governor. Yup that not the Half of it I sure has heck don't got to mention NY City and its Major Steer tire Busting Pot Holes. Nor the mere fact of their high toll, of which I have no Idea what they relay do with the monies. Did you know that the tap-en zee is $95.00 now and the George is following suite wow Angle Lopez thanks for the update My Friend. Yes all that money allocated for roads and I see nothing but a bunch of Cones and Barrels new ones at that. Oh did I forget a few states Yes I did Ohio Roads are just as bad and the same with West VA , Del, VA, NC. Ten and AR are at the top of the list as well. Talk yes I here a lot of talk, Talk of making I-80 all the way across a toll road from state ta state and 70 and 90 as well as 40 and 10 . Not to mention 95 all the way down to Florida and then the grand 64 as well too boot. Lets not forget the I-35 that runs bottom of Laredo Texas all the way too Duluth Minnesota that runs into 61 that runs into Canada at Grand Portage was to be part of the Pilot Program Tolls Yes Sir. So now The roads are full of Pot Holes the States Need the money to fix the roads and they all seem to have wasted the moneys buying cones and barrels now they need the material machines and workers to fix them and that's going to take money. The Federal Government is Broke so to speak, So talk of tolls to pay for it. For real. Well NJ u can not fix pot holes with cold asphalt needs to be hot so the money us spent on your billboard signs was wasted. I suggest save it and put it into the roads. The same goes for the rest of the States. I must admit Iowa and Nebraska Roads are a shambles as well. I wont mention CA as I know that's a mess too. But I give them a buy with all that Shaken going on and that big volcano that under Los Angels Hmm... Tolls Nation wide to pay for the roads the Pay plans just went by the way side as the loads are going to be at least 4 a mile or more just to pay the tolls and fuel. That being the case it may just end up cheaper to fly the freight in and use Local drivers to deliver the goods. 20 big Planes strategically placed may just come in handy after all. A few weeks ago the President asked for 308 Billion more for the roads. Where did the first set of money go to???? Oh that's right Cones and Barrels. Oh yes Schools as well but that's another thread. Fix the roads Please.

Last edited:

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I said all along..Each worker get 3 barrels,,when he is done working behind those 3 barrels he can move them up the road.
8 miles of barrels and we cant open 30ft of road bed a day.. Why are we tearing up 8 miles each way with out finnishing one side..Example: I-69 Mich Ind state line being repaved for I think 3rd time since I have owned this truck.
Why are we opening up new sites when the one 10 miles up the road isnt finnished?
Counted 5 patrol cars sitting in 2 seperate groups in Ohio on I-75 friday night..Who/how is that paid for? What fund? These patrol cars are doing nothing to deter or slow down traffic at all.
What fund is paying for all the noise barriers or million dollar landscaping being done?

Questions are endless..But remeber we are shovel ready,,,We just need to get the Mexicans up here to do what the unions and states have failed to do.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
While you're banging down the road full of potholes you see the them building a Million dollar
rest area...fancy clean port-a-johns would work too!

letsdrive

Seasoned Expediter
I always wonder am I the only one that does posted speed in construction zone or did they pass a new law t b at says drive as fast as you like

Sent from my SPH-L520 using EO Forums mobile app

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I always wonder am I the only one that does posted speed in construction zone or did they pass a new law t b at says drive as fast as you like

I like the signs that says,,Truck left lane only..Only to find out drivers are reading it as;
Trucks keep left only if you want too.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Of course they barrel of ten miles to work on a couple of feet. It is called guaranteed employment.
Thank a union.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Just like the pet rock..I missed the boat,,I could have designed those barrels. These barrels have brought on a whole new industry.. Called traffic control by a private company.Actual road workers worked don't set them out. Yep there goes another budget..
Anyone remember when they used little round balls filled with fuel oil and a wick?

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I said all along..Each worker get 3 barrels,,when he is done working behind those 3 barrels he can move them up the road.
8 miles of barrels and we cant open 30ft of road bed a day.. Why are we tearing up 8 miles each way with out finnishing one side..Example: I-69 Mich Ind state line being repaved for I think 3rd time since I have owned this truck.
Why are we opening up new sites when the one 10 miles up the road isnt finnished?
Counted 5 patrol cars sitting in 2 seperate groups in Ohio on I-75 friday night..Who/how is that paid for? What fund? These patrol cars are doing nothing to deter or slow down traffic at all.
What fund is paying for all the noise barriers or million dollar landscaping being done?

Questions are endless..But remeber we are shovel ready,,,We just need to get the Mexicans up here to do what the unions and states have failed to do.

Did you go to Dunkin at the Petro gets a Case of Hot Joe in the box and some Donuts and pass them out to them as a good Samaritan? Saturday A Dad and Daughter locked their keys in their car in a Toyota Solara convertible The lady was very up set and so was the gentleman must have been her dad. They didn't have Triple AAA and Pop A lock wanted 120 to come out. They were asking people for help as I was walking in to the Loves. They asked Me and I got the car open for them in a short Min. Remind me of the knuckle heads in the service that would lock their keys in their cars when we would meet for PT. Never failed to have to pop a lock or 2 every day. Before any one blows a gasket yes I did an ID Verification before I popped the Lock and check the Registration after I popped the lock. All was good she was the owner. Her Dad was happy and so was she. Then I walked over to the Pilot that's when I noticed the concrete falling off the Bridge when big Trucks went over it. Only in Memphis In go figure. Yup..... Thought we get some hail on Sunday, but just got a sprinkle here. Clouds towards Jeffersonville IN looked real mad today on Mothers day.

Last edited:

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Anyone remember when they used little round balls filled with fuel oil and a wick?
We used to call them a flaming pizz pot. :eek:

1000994f0a6bd75256b0123dacc1e757.jpg

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Of course they barrel of ten miles to work on a couple of feet. It is called guaranteed employment.
Thank a union.

And here I thought it was called 'thank the morons who injure & kill construction workers, so they feel they need ten miles of barriers and a couple LEOs in cruisers for their safety'....
Like the concrete crash barriers in front of public buildings, the Secret Service protection for even ex presidents [and their families?], the metal detectors everywhere, even taking your shoes off at the airport: it's an overreaction to highly publicized [but not all that common] threats, IMO.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
While you're banging down the road full of potholes you see the them building a Million dollar

Wisconsin I-90 north of Madtown, both east and westbound sides. I'm a fan of Frank Lloyd Wright and prairie style architecture. These two rest areas are a beautiful example of prairie style architecture and a wonderful tribute to Wisconsin's native son. But is it really necessary to sink large amounts of tax dollars into what should be a utilitarian facility. Parking, running water and toilets in a clean safe environment is all that is needed.
WII-90RestArea1_zps8ffd5230.jpg

WII-90RestArea2_zps21ed20d2.jpg

Not to be outdone by their neighbor to the east, Iowa is getting on board the opulent rest area wagon. The I-35 northbound rest area, just north of Des Moines, was razed. A few miles up the road construction is under way for two new rest areas, one on either side of I-35. Below are two rest areas somewhere in Iowa.
IowaRestArea1_zps1a4f0d11.jpg

IowaRestArea2_zps20ec6afa.jpg

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Wisconsin: where having an upscale place to get off the road 'when nature calls' is a priority, but education, not so much. [Gov Walker cut the education budget, along with Medicaid,]
Seriously: rest areas for 4 wheelers are truly not even needed any more, with 24 hour gas stations at many exits, so what's the rationale for sinking scarce dollars into them?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wisconsin: where having an upscale place to get off the road 'when nature calls' is a priority, but education, not so much. [Gov Walker cut the education budget, along with Medicaid,]
Seriously: rest areas for 4 wheelers are truly not even needed any more, with 24 hour gas stations at many exits, so what's the rationale for sinking scarce dollars into them?

This country has increased education dollars time after time and has nothing to show for it. Personally I believe the thought that the only way to improve education is via massive spending is a ruse. I think you will find countless success stories at well run charter and private schools that spend far less per student than their public counterparts.

Sent from my - Fisher Price ABC - 123

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

What about all the fancy bike lanes, downtown restorations, art works, etc that highway dollars are wasted on? Toll roads should be the best but are often the worst!

Sent from my SCH-i705 using EO Forums mobile app

Big Al

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

I always do under the speed limit everywhere, it almost makes one wonder if that is unsafe because of all the crazies :)

Sent from my SCH-i705 using EO Forums mobile app