Roadcheck 2008

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Scuse this if it has already been posted, but didn't see anything..
Here is a link to check out last year's results: June 35 is Roadcheck 2008

June 3-5 is Roadcheck 2008
By Laura Walter

During June 3-5, approximately 10,000 trained, certified officers will blanket the roadways of North America for Roadcheck 2008, where they will conduct round-the-clock inspections to prevent truck and bus accidents and save lives.
Roadcheck is sponsored each year by Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA). The event calls on federal, state, provincial and local officers to conduct North American Standard Inspections and offer drivers educational materials on various aspects of commercial vehicle, driver and hazardous materials safety.

The inspections involve a comprehensive 37-step procedure with items related to vehicle, driver and cargo safety. The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) gives an overview of some of the items covered in each inspection.

Driver Inspection:

• License and endorsements
  • Record of duty status
  • Hours of service
  • Possible use of alcohol and drugs
  • Seat belts
Vehicle Inspection:

• Brake system
  • Coupling devices
  • Exhaust system
  • Frame
  • Fuel system
  • Lights
  • Safe loading
  • Steering mechanism
  • Suspension
  • Tires
  • Van and open-top trailer bodies
  • Wheels and rims
  • Windshield wipers
  • Emergency exits on buses

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We are in good shape so am not dreading being pulled in on a load where you do not have enough time to wait for the inspection. While going through Mississippi I was pulled over for a road side DOT inspection and passed with flying colors and have a yellow sticker on our windshield.
I was afraid when the officer pulled in behind me with lights flashing I was being pulled over for impeding the flow of traffic since my cruise was set at 55 mph. I was amazed when he told me he was going to do a road side inspection and it was such perfect timing. We were deadheading to layover and the weather was perfect to be outside of the truck. The officer was very professional and nice to boot.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We have found that most officers who have inspected us have been professional and a couple have been even nice!!! We did have a sticker that was good until June but lost that when the windshield was replaced. layoutshooter

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
22 years of driving 1 break adjustment ticket and that is the only ticket i ever got for the truck 1 warning for a "Perceived" air leak he couldn't find one but he was sure i had one. Point is spend the money to keep your truck in good repair only saves you money and time

EagleRiverWI

Seasoned Expediter
We are in good shape so am not dreading being pulled in on a load where you do not have enough time to wait for the inspection. While going through Mississippi I was pulled over for a road side DOT inspection and passed with flying colors and have a yellow sticker on our windshield.
I was afraid when the officer pulled in behind me with lights flashing I was being pulled over for impeding the flow of traffic since my cruise was set at 55 mph. I was amazed when he told me he was going to do a road side inspection and it was such perfect timing. We were deadheading to layover and the weather was perfect to be outside of the truck. The officer was very professional and nice to boot.

So how did it go? Are you going to make any money for what was probably a clean inspection?

Vinnie T

Seasoned Expediter
So this is revenue generating tricket writing extravaganza 2008?

Like truckers don't have enought to worry about and we are not probed enough throught every scalehouse?

jwc

Seasoned Expediter
Passed again But i wonder how many trucks were put out of service or how many hide during the inspection days

paid vacationer

Seasoned Expediter
On my way to pick up on the first day of roadcheck, got pulled in (Hubbard,OH). Pretty cool DOT guy, no violations, obtained yellow sticker, and $50 from company. Pulled in a MI scale next day, sent around back. Officer heading to my truck with creeper and flashlight saw yellow sticker, told me to "get on down the road". Love that yellow sticker. Love that $50 even more.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Why would we make money for a good inspection? As and owner operator I would expect a good inspection every time as we reply on our truck to make our living. I would assume our carrier would also feel the same way and would question not having a good inspection.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Paid Vacationer who are you with that you would get paid a bonus for taking care of your truck? I have not heard of such an odd practice before. Seems odd to get a bonus to me for taking care of what makes you a living while it is running not broke down.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Why would they give you a bonus for taking care of your equipment? I am at a loss here.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Wake up there caffee! Many don't own the truck, so, therefor, don't care. And, others, that own the truck, don't care. Just a paycheck in the short term is what matters, most. And, the "truck" is only part of the equation for a successful level one. To me, it's actually good business to reward a meager 50 for success, whether the driver is proud of their performance or equipment, or not..

smokn72ss

Seasoned Expediter
there were 3 trucks pulled over by isp ( Indiana State police ) yesterday from evansville to terre haute, in on 63/41 must be crackin hard on them ..

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Why would they give you a bonus for taking care of your equipment? I am at a loss here.

Two reasons. When a vehicle or driver is placed OOS, it costs the driver, but it costs the carrier more.

One, it's an incentive to actually check things and make sure everything is good. The majority of drivers, especially those who drive for an owner, aren't as likely to pay attention to the details.

Second, it lowers the carrier's percentage of drivers and vehicles that are placed OOS due to violations, which in turn lowers their insurance costs, not to mention a high OOS percentage is a red flag to DOT auditors.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Sounds good to me there jw. Buttt, there is a fella mentioned on a nuther thread, that has been with seven carriers in a short period. There are many like that. Makes little difference to them about a lease. It's about short term gain a lot of instances, not a career, like for many more. As turtle mentioned, it costs a lot to rescue some clown from the scalehouse. I used to give em a hunnerd for the same thing. It wuz just my job.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Now, that IS a tuff question ther jazbo. You should ease up a bit.

paid vacationer

Seasoned Expediter
Bob or Linda, while I agree with you about taking care of a truck and it being for ones own good, I didn't ask for $50. It's the company's deal and I certainly won't turn down money for doing something I would do anyway. They also pay for not having any log violations for the month too. Again, for my own good. I'll still take the money.