Rev's Ride 1

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I learned early on not to put anything on the floor during the winter. I put some carpet down and it helped keep my shoes from turning to blocks of ice.

Nice job on everything there. Maybe you're more of a handyman than I am. I managed to get my sleeper built, but there was a bit of trial and error and quite a few mistakes before I got everything in there right.

I agree with you on the Touchdown Jesus on I-75. You'd think there are more pressing needs in the community that money could have been put toward, something more evangelical than a big statue that directs more laughter toward the church than anything else.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
In my experience, getting heat to go up is rarely a problem. :D

The bigger problem is how to arrange things so that your shoes are not ice cold when you climb out of that bunk in the morning sweating ...... because the temp at the ceiling is 85 or 90 degrees. :eek:

Your not going to believe this Rlent...I actually bungee cord my shoes to the ceiling in the winter!!! And hang my clothes as high as I can!

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Nice ride, Rev. When the Espar is installed, how will you get heat and cool up to the penthouse? Are the mirrors electrically controlled and heated? Do the mirrors have flat as well as convex surfaces? Seeing this rig makes me want to order up a van just like it and come out of retirement........................Not!!!!!!!!!! Let's see more pics when you get it lettered and all your stuff in it.

I had a very difficult time finding a chassis.

Had American Axle not been on strike, shutting down the GM production plant, I would have ordered power/heated mirrors.

My other 08 van had them and it is an excellent option!

Yes, the mirrors do have two separate surfaces. The upper is a very large regular mirror and the bottom mirror is a convex type.

One thing I would also recommend is the "Quad" headlamps. They provide much better visibilty at night. You have to take the chrome bumper to get them, but that is a plus too, because it is easier to clean bugs off chrome. Moreover, the black bumper gets stone chips and begins to show rust spots wherever there is a stone chip.

As my other trucker brothers and sisters have stated, getting heat to the bunk won't be a problem. I do have some ideas about how to evenly distribute the nominal heat rise, but more on that after I get the Espar.

Cooling? Actually, I like hot weather. I also like fresh air. Here is a great product that everybody wants to order after they have seen them on my truck.

Camping, RV, Camping gear, Van, Bee, West Nile Virus, Van accessories, bug screens, insect screen, bug shield, mosquito screen, mosquito netting

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Rev, do you have an intake/exhaust fan in the bunk area? Had one in my van directly over the bunk. Not quite as good as AC, but worked quite well in the summer. It could run to blow in or out. I actually used it in the winter to exhaust the body heat moisture out of the van. Also was a great source of sound to drown out diesel engines, gunshots, screams, etc. Remember, I was a Wally World Camper. Are you going to show pics when the van is lettered?

Last edited:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
OVM,

Yeah - I'd believe it. It didn't take me too long before I figured out that in the winter setting my shoes up on top of the refrigerator/freezer made them alot warmer in the morning when I went to slip them on. :D

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
RLENT, heat goes up in the winter, and heat also goes up in the summer. How does Rev get heat AND cool up?
Well .... like you said .... heat does go up, so getting it up isn't a problem. With the Espar (using the dial mini-controller - probably the cheapest option) the thermostat/temp probe that tells the Espar when it needs to put out more or less heat is on the intake - so if you don't want it too hot it might pay to run a piece of flex tube up from the intake - so that it can see when the bunk area at the top is warm.

Of course, you could go with the wall thermostat that actually lets you set a specific temperature. Probably a little more but maybe worth it in this application.

As for the cooling part, sounds like the Rev doesn't mind the heat. Me, I have a problem with warm humid air ...... if I were to go to bed in high humidity, I'd wake up a couple hours in and be strangling. Even if it's only like 75 degrees out .... me and humidity just don't get along. So this what I'm using:

MiniCool Compact

Highly efficient 12 volt AC unit - runs off an aux battery bank, low-profile and only weighs like 62 lbs, not even as tall as my Qualcomm bubble. I have it mounted directly over my bunk - so that it pours cool air down on me while I sleep (if ya can't get "cool" up then maybe the solution is just to be in it's path on it's way down :D)

I went to bed at the J in West Memphis this morning at around 05:00 with it running - it was in the high 70's and very humid. I woke up at around 15:00 and it was about 92 outside and really muggy. My battery bank had dropped from 100% of capacity when I turned it on, to around 76% I think when I shut it off at 15:00 or so - so it used about 1/2 of the available capacity - 'cause I don't discharge it below 50%.

A fairly pricey solution - but I gotta be able to sleep and get decent rest to be able to do this.

wallytrucker1

Expert Expediter
It's so , how do you say,..."cute"...lol..(another wisea## comment from a BIG TRUCK)...looks like a lot of planning and work went into it and looks great ,however needs something....oh I know, a FREIGHTLINER emblem.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Thanks Wallytrucker1.

Considering that I slept on the floor of two other cargo vans (Brrrrrr! Very cold for an old man) this feels like a "big truck" to me.

And now that I have marker lights the big trucks flash me over when I pass at night. Thanks guys!

Since it is half Chevrolet and half Unicell maybe I should get a custom emblem.

Chevycell? :D

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Since it is half Chevrolet and half Unicell maybe I should get a custom emblem.

Chevycell?

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Too funny!

On a serious note....

Actually, I have sold a few.

That is why I got such a great deal, because the dealership knew they would get referrals from me. ;)

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Jim,

The unit was around $3200 or $3300 and change plus installation. It did not include any batteries as I already had my own. I don't have an exact handle on the exact installation cost breakdown, since I had some other work at the same time. They relocated my roof vent/fan, installed the second section of headliner (which didn't come with the truck from the factory) and rewired my Espar (which was previously hooked up to my starting battery) into the aux battery bank. (That was somewhat involved because of the Espar's wiring harness, which Ray had very thoroughly secured to the underside of my truck - the harness had to be removed from from the wire loom and brought back in the vehicle.) The total bill was $4400 and something.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
For those of us technologically challenged just very basic q/a, how many batteries is this running from, approx what do the batteries cost, how long can it run before recharging is required and how large an area in volume is it cooling? I'm wondering if it would be a sensible addition to a D unit. Thanks.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
RLENT

Where did you purchase/get installed tis unit?

I think he mentioned Ray, who I think is at Espar of Michigan. I know that they sell them there but I wonder where else.

I too would like to know the details of the setup and if it can handle a well insulated sleeper. I would assume that it would if it is cooling a large area in a sprinter.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Yes, it was Espar of Michigan - a detailed (but not overly technical) reply is coming - perhaps later today or hopefully tomorrow at the latest. I'm at home now trying to get a few things done and I have a load that delivers in Battlecreek at 04:00 Monday and I need to get a little sleep before I head out.

Rev, I didn't mean to hijack your thread with this - I can start another thread, or I think that there is an existing on 12v AC units - and I could reply there if you would prefer.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
No, it's all good Rlent.

It ties in with what we are doing in the world of vans in general, and bunks in particular.

Please feel free to add your info.

At $4.15 gallon for gas and $5.05 for diesel, we all will probably start living in our trucks...literally.

A good heater and AC unit will most likely keep us put until the next load offer comes around.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Another dumb question..
I've heard a few of you lately, mentioning price of diesel over there is $5+ per gallon.. but the thingy at the top of the EO header is still saying $4.70..
Is this just becuz the header hasn't been updated, or is it an average all over the USA, or.. ?