Rev's Ride 1

Packmule

Expert Expediter
David,

Nice ride!! I really like the flat floor above wheel wells, makes for a lot of extra cargo space.

Is that a single wheel rear axle under 10K GRVW or duel rears with a 12K rating?

Did you go Gas or diesel?

I might suggest you insulate the overhead in the cab, it will make it a lot quieter and COOLER.

Excellent job!!

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
you should get you a big vinyl sticker put on each side that says "prayer mobile". Since you are a preacher man and all. I like the looks of it.

MR.SNAPPY

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Dave,
I seen your truck sitting in Blacksburg,SC at the Flying J Tuesday morning and was going to come over and talk to you and check out the new ride but you had the window shades up and the cones set up. I was parked across from you in the RV parking.

I got a load around 11:00 so I will catch you the next time...looks like the only thing you need to do now is update those faded orange cones with that shiny new truck....LOL... Be Safe......

Last edited:

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
i came upon him once and didn't knock either. seems like there is no time BUT that moment to make contact or else that opportunity is gone forever.

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
i came upon him once and didn't knock either. seems like there is no time BUT that moment to make contact or else that opportunity is gone forever.

We came across Ontariovanman in Oak creek,WI a few weeks ago at the J,and respecting the closed curtains did not knock.Sure wish the lot lizards would respect the same rule.DD.

(OVM,we will catch up with you one day I am sure)

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
We came across Ontariovanman in Oak creek,WI a few weeks ago at the J,and respecting the closed curtains did not knock.Sure wish the lot lizards would respect the same rule.DD.

(OVM,we will catch up with you one day I am sure)

And we were in eating! But thanks for the consideration!

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
What special requests did you ask Unicell to do in order to make your van better for your job?

Cargo Box length can be any distance in "one foot" increments so I trimmed the length to reduce GVW.

Solid "Set Back" wall to separate me from the freight. Over the years I have hauled some "stinky" machined parts. The smell gave me a headache. I wanted a sealed cargo area. Additionally, some carriers require a sealed cargo area to haul "any" type of Hazmat load.

LED tube lights to brighten and reduce load on battery.

3/8 sidewalls in cargo box to reduce GVW

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Nice ride, Padre!!!

BTW, I thought of you when we passed Touchdown Jesus on 75. ;)

Too funny!

We refer to that chunk of concrete as the same.

What a waste of money!

Act 19:26 Moreover ye see and hear, that not alone at Ephesus, but almost throughout all Asia, this Paul hath persuaded and turned away much people, saying that they be no gods, which are made with hands: (Emphasis mine)

Thanks for the kind words!

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
David,

Nice ride!! I really like the flat floor above wheel wells, makes for a lot of extra cargo space.

Is that a single wheel rear axle under 10K GRVW or duel rears with a 12K rating?

Did you go Gas or diesel?

I might suggest you insulate the overhead in the cab, it will make it a lot quieter and COOLER.

Excellent job!!

Thanks for the tip on the overhead.

So far the cut out roof hasn't seemed too hot yet. It looks like it will hit 90 today here at Rock Hill, SC. I'll jump in later and feel the roof.

I went with a 6.0L. The Duramax is a great engine, but it adds 700lbs more to the GVW. I traded extra living room for reduced cargo weight and the Duramax would have turned me into an RV and not qualified to haul the minimum required.

It is a Dual Rear Wheel at 10,000lbs GVWR.

Believe me, it was a difficult chassis to locate.

One thing for sure, it rides so much smoother than my regular SRW cargo van built on the same platform. The wheelbase on the new truck is also 4 inches longer so that has a positive effect on the comfort level as well.

Thanks for your advice!

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Dave,
I seen your truck sitting in Blacksburg,SC at the Flying J Tuesday morning and was going to come over and talk to you and check out the new ride but you had the window shades up and the cones set up. I was parked across from you in the RV parking.

I got a load around 11:00 so I will catch you the next time...looks like the only thing you need to do now is update those faded orange cones with that shiny new truck....LOL... Be Safe......

Oh, wow! Sorry I missed you. Usually, I am inside. Just look for a guy with a ton of junk on the table in the Driver's Area or the Restaurant.

PS. I'll polish the cones for you. :D Uh, while I am waiting for the QC to beep!

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
David;

Beautiful truck! You really put some time into making it comfortable.

I am curious, what does this vehicle now weigh "empty" - meaning sitting full of fuel, with you and your belongings in it?

Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter
John

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Uh, yes....belongings is the issue with me.

I am carrying a mobile office in truck, so I am in the process of transfering most of it back into the house.

I have enough capacity to run for any carrier, but I have a goal of 17mpg. 15mpg is the best I have achieved to date. Reducing weight is one of the easiest ways to improve fuel economy.

7000-7500lbs would be a realistic estimate after I make a few adjustments.

Being only two weeks into the dynamic testing, you can be certain that I am tweaking a few things here and there.

I am still on the Maiden Voyage. ;)

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
are12,

Now that I have the six-wheelin feelin, and chicken lights, can I park next to you at the truck stop? :D

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement.

Hope to see you soon!

are12

Expert Expediter
We will even save you a spot but, with that fancy van of your's, you may put our truck to shame!:eek::eek:

We will definitely be watching for you, would love to see your ride up close.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Nice ride, Rev. When the Espar is installed, how will you get heat and cool up to the penthouse? Are the mirrors electrically controlled and heated? Do the mirrors have flat as well as convex surfaces? Seeing this rig makes me want to order up a van just like it and come out of retirement........................Not!!!!!!!!!! Let's see more pics when you get it lettered and all your stuff in it.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
In my experience, getting heat to go up is rarely a problem. :D

The bigger problem is how to arrange things so that your shoes are not ice cold when you climb out of that bunk in the morning sweating ...... because the temp at the ceiling is 85 or 90 degrees. :eek: