question for van drivers

sparkle8859

Seasoned Expediter
No sorry was looking at the wrong one its .70 cpm I am so sorry wrong packet. My bad! So should I average it at .70

sparkle8859

Seasoned Expediter
If i was averaging only a thousand miles a week as a solo in a CV, id quit...i have been with load 1 for 10 weeks, and most will tell you that it is slow right now...I have driven 15285 loaded miles and 1549 dh miles....I didn't run the Bolt numbers because i can't get into my old fleetvision account fro them, but i can tell you i had to run more miles then that to earn the money i did at Bolt.....

Now miles driven aren't the most important thing....I am running less miles at Load one, but making more money.....

And alot of solo ST's are not making that kind of money.....

What was the average CPM for thoes miles?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
My gross per mile is sometimes over a dollar a mile sometimes under a dollar, but nothing close to $.87 pm/ I will say my gross income on those 15,000 miles is more then 15,000, but i can say that is NOT the industry average...

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
It really all depends on what you're looking for. The Load 1 guys seem to have the biggest paychecks in the industry, by far. No one's shown me a paycheck, but they all seem to be pretty happy on here. Not sure where you're from but there's prolly local companies that would pay more per mile, but you're not gonna get the near miles ya get w/ Load 1.

When I was w/ EGL (now Ceva) they might put 3 little boxes in your truck. One would go 20 miles paying $15, the next one 35 miles (adding 15 miles to your trip) paying $30, & then another one 60 miles (adding 25 miles to your trip) out paying $50, something like that. Then maybe coming back you'd only have a 60 mile run for $50. So ya'd end up that day making $145 for 120 miles.

So at the end of the week you'd maybe make $7 or 800, where as the Load 1 drivers seem to be making well over $1,000 most weeks. Which one you feel is better is a personal choice. The local driver is home every night & the Load 1 driver makes a lot more $$.

I'd say of the main companies that give a fair amount of miles, Load 1 seems to be the top end on a $/mile basis. Don't use them as the "industry average" though, cuz as you've seen other companies pay a lot less.

In the end, if you're happy that's what counts. Good luck to ya.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
If i was averaging only a thousand miles a week as a solo in a CV, id quit...i have been with load 1 for 10 weeks, and most will tell you that it is slow right now...I have driven 15285 loaded miles and 1549 dh miles....I didn't run the Bolt numbers because i can't get into my old fleetvision account fro them, but i can tell you i had to run more miles then that to earn the money i did at Bolt.....

Now miles driven aren't the most important thing....I am running less miles at Load one, but making more money.....

And alot of solo ST's are not making that kind of money.....

there are way to many vans in Laredo,,guess we better quit,,we aint moving much here,,just to the resturants and back,lol:eek:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Quit!?!? LO, ok...but id think that payin for the gas out of my pocket to move to another area would be a good idea...

When there are a bunch of units down there or anywhere for that matter, 2 things happen, your chances of getting loaded are worse and when you do, chances are it pays less....

Spend what, $70 for tank of gas, run up to Houston, maybe get a load to Chicago or detroit...because there are only 4 units in the area and your company was able to get you loaded quicker and at a better rate...just a suggestion....but hey Christmas is less then 2 weeks away, so maybe home is a good option...I know if i was going to sit for 7 days, id rather do it at home instead of Laredo..but then TJP spent 9 days down there ....

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
Quit!?!? LO, ok...but id think that payin for the gas out of my pocket to move to another area would be a good idea...

When there are a bunch of units down there or anywhere for that matter, 2 things happen, your chances of getting loaded are worse and when you do, chances are it pays less....

Spend what, $70 for tank of gas, run up to Houston, maybe get a load to Chicago or detroit...because there are only 4 units in the area and your company was able to get you loaded quicker and at a better rate...just a suggestion....but hey Christmas is less then 2 weeks away, so maybe home is a good option...I know if i was going to sit for 7 days, id rather do it at home instead of Laredo..but then TJP spent 9 days down there ....

Totally agree - You have to spend money to make money :D

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Sparkle keeps asking 'CPM" isn't she asking Cost Per mile?.:confused:
In which case both OOIDA & Eagle cost calculator are available on line.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
yea cpm as we know it is cost per mile, but from how her post have gone, i "assumed" she was looking for "cents" per mile...but the again we all know what happens when one "assumes"...lol for me it just means i am a "Bigger" one...:D

sherms80

Seasoned Expediter
I am a solo in a sprinter owner operator, and put on about 2100 miles per week. I have only been in the business 2 months and I am not even close to the one to ask for advice on any of the questions being asked. I do know if I had a S/T and teamed up with my son, we could get double the miles easily. The people I haul for want me to get the S/T but I own the sprinter outright and do not want payments YET.

Thank you everyone for your knowledge and I will keep reading and learning the business!!!!

Sherm

Hightech_Hobo

Expert Expediter
I moved from a straight truck to a Van in April of this year...Gross Revenue has definately dropped...but profit and net seems to be comparable. For me this is more of a lifestyle and I definately prefer the Van from that viewpoint. I can park the sprinter anywhere I want and not be bothered by authorities. A choice to move is much easier as cost is so much less and if its friday at 17:00, easy decision to go home or my daughters or to a friends house.

I use the entire sprinter for a sleeper if no load so I have "elbow room" during down time it's easier to drive and I laugh at the scale houses as I just drive by..no logs and no hassles or complicated decisions if I just want to move...Just turn the key and go.

Overall I am VERY happy with my decision to move to a sprinter and if I'd quit screwing off so much I think the money would be about the same when it's all said and done. I also work with a GREAT company who puts up with my eccentricities and "shoot from the hip attitude.

I will say once I say yes to a load..Its mine..Win lose or draw and I agree with the "If you cant be on time....Be early!!" school of thought.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
No offence, but I think the O\O who said Panther is paying $1.10 a mile for a Van is yanking your chain.:D In 2007 Panther was paying $.77 per mile plus FSC.

I talked to a Panther driver other day in Laredo that was happy he got a .50cpm load out of laredo to NY state sorry I will stay parked for .50cpm no way ! And I promise you panther got full rate and just put the screws to that driver !

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I talked to a Panther driver other day in Laredo that was happy he got a .50cpm load out of laredo to NY state sorry I will stay parked for .50cpm no way ! And I promise you panther got full rate and just put the screws to that driver !

What evidence do you have to support that statement?

guido4475

Not a Member

I was talking to a freind of mine, who is down in Lareo last night, and she told me the Bolt guys were getting offers of .44 cpm coming out of there, and they were told they had better take it, freight is real slow out of there,and no telling when they will get out of there.Some took it, and there are some holding out for full rate, she was saying.But then again, she is deadheading from Laredo to Memphis...Ouch!!!

Gotta say, I never had a problem getting out of there with ASE, no matter how many were jammed up down there.

sparkle8859

Seasoned Expediter
I moved from a straight truck to a Van in April of this year...Gross Revenue has definately dropped...but profit and net seems to be comparable. For me this is more of a lifestyle and I definately prefer the Van from that viewpoint. I can park the sprinter anywhere I want and not be bothered by authorities. A choice to move is much easier as cost is so much less and if its friday at 17:00, easy decision to go home or my daughters or to a friends house.

I use the entire sprinter for a sleeper if no load so I have "elbow room" during down time it's easier to drive and I laugh at the scale houses as I just drive by..no logs and no hassles or complicated decisions if I just want to move...Just turn the key and go.

Overall I am VERY happy with my decision to move to a sprinter and if I'd quit screwing off so much I think the money would be about the same when it's all said and done. I also work with a GREAT company who puts up with my eccentricities and "shoot from the hip attitude.

I will say once I say yes to a load..Its mine..Win lose or draw and I agree with the "If you cant be on time....Be early!!" school of thought.

Thank you for that I really appreciate the straight answer.Its sometimes hard to get here. So you don't need a log book or have to go through scales? What about when hauling hazmat? I'm thinking were going to try this If it fails we will only be out 8 grand instead of having a truck payment to worry about. Do you think for our first one a used van would be ok?

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You will need to log and scale when hauling hazmat. A used van would be a great way to start as long as know what you're getting.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I can guarantee you two things, one, the Panther van driver wasn't offered a load from anyone at Panther for 50 cents per mile, and two, if Panther offered any load at a reduced rate of any kind (which reduced rate loads out of south Texas is very likely), they didn't get full rate for the load and are just putting the screws to the driver.