question for van drivers

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I talked to a Panther driver other day in Laredo that was happy he got a .50cpm load out of laredo to NY state sorry I will stay parked for .50cpm no way ! And I promise you panther got full rate and just put the screws to that driver !

I highly doubt it. Now it is possible that Panther sent a LTL load at that rate for a van, but it wouldn't have been expedite.
Not obligated to take it, but giving the option as that would have paid better than a empty move.
One has to see ALL of the picture, and not just part of it.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Unless the Panther driver was from East Texas and liked where he was, why not take it. 2000 miles or so. Even after fuel he should be up $600.00 or so. Colder climate but maybe a better chance for Freight.;)
What little experience I have, I find a little money has so far been better then no money.

Unforgiven

Not a Member
I am from Florida as well, Do I need this reflective tape on sprinter? I got carolsine heater will this be good as spar?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Unless the Panther driver was from East Texas and liked where he was, why not take it. 2000 miles or so. Even after fuel he should be up $600.00 or so. Colder climate but maybe a better chance for Freight.;)
What little experience I have, I find a little money has so far been better then no money.
Sometimes no money is better than a little money. Cost Per Mile is Cost Per Mile, always. 50 cents a mile is great if it takes you someplace you want to be, rather than deadheaing on your own dime to get there, but that someplace needs to be a real place and not just "outta here", 'cause 50 cents a mile to haul freight will cause you to lose money. Many people take the position of a little money is better than no money, and before they know it they don't have the money to replace brake pads.

General rule is that a third goes for operating expenses, a third goes to the truck, and a third goes to the driver, but that only works when you have three thirds to divy up. If he gets 20 MPG, which he probably doesn't, and fuel is $3.15 a gallon, then he pays out $315 in fuel (16 cents a mile), leaving roughly the $600 you stated. But CPM is CPM, and most people's CPM is more than just fuel costs. Again, not that big a deal if a lead takes you home when you need to be there and it's that or deadhead on your own dime, but for a regular run, I dunno. Between fuel, wear and tear, insurance, van payment, a bazillion other very real expenses, and the CPM could be in the 42-44 cent range, leaving 6 or 8 cents net revenue, for a 2000 mile run. That's $150 or so for 2.5 days work.

Considering that the average for most cargo vans is 6000 miles a month, I'm not sure running one third of your monthly miles for nearly no money is a very good long term strategy, and all it would take for many drivers is just one run per month like that (two for sure) to see them out of the business within a year or so because they can't afford to do the regular maintenance, much less any unexpected repairs.

Too many people put gross revenue over what you're actually keeping. They get that high mileage woody and don't even think about the net revenue. They figure it'll all come out OK in the end. That's how the Flying J got into trouble, when the new CEO started kingdom building with acquisitions to see that revenue jump, but in the end they were hemorrhaging money, just like many cargo van drivers do.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I understand the CPM. There are posters on here who say they have sat anywhere from 7 days to twenty one days in Laredo waiting on Freight. If they are living on Saltines & Tap water it might save them something. There is a post here some where today of a driver dead heading from Laredo to I think Memphis. Unless my E350 is over loaded, 1200 -1500 lbs of Freight will hardly change my fuel mileage at all. Personally I would drive to New York State for $.50 per mile before I would sit in Laredo for seven days or more waiting on Freight.
But that's just my business plan, faulty as it may be:p
P.S. I'm extremely impressed by you Battery Bank. Very professional & neat.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The thing is, you can run loads crisscrossing Midwest Hеll all week long, 5 or 6 loads, sit another two days over the weekend, and at the end of it all you're at 1500 miles, or less. Or, you can sit in Laredo for a week, get one run for 1500 miles, same thing. Except less deadhead. :D

Whenever I get a load offer to Laredo, if I don't want 5 days off, or at least wouldn't mind it if it happens, I don't accept the load. If I take the load an get loaded out sooner than that, great, but I never expect it.

I remember a while back one guy on here talked about sitting in Laredo for several days, then deadheaded to someplace, Nashville, I think, and then the next day got a load to Michigan or something. He went on and on about how smart that move was. Well, until someone pointed out that he had just deadheaded 1100 miles for a 500 mile run.

Never take a load to any place that you're not willing to deadhead out of, or that doesn't pay enough up front for you to do so.

BTW, thanks on the batteries. :)

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I can guarantee you two things, one, the Panther van driver wasn't offered a load from anyone at Panther for 50 cents per mile, and two, if Panther offered any load at a reduced rate of any kind (which reduced rate loads out of south Texas is very likely), they didn't get full rate for the load and are just putting the screws to the driver.

I have seen panther drivers get offered 65 cent per mile loads out of Laredo before with my own eyes. Now that's 65 cents per mile on the base rate plus whatever the weekly fixed fuel surcharge is. They would have still made almost 80 cents per mile on the load. The driver turned the load down and sat for a few more days.

Now when Bolt is offering .44 cents, that is the whole enchilada. There is no fuel surchaged added to that amount! There is no reason for anyone to run freight that cheap. I know people who always get full rate coming out of Laredo regardless of how many other vans are down there.

I have never ran a reduced rate load out of Laredo. Then again, I have never been loade out of Laredo ever. I have always deadheaded back up to Kansas City or on down to Los Angeles for a week or rest and relaxation!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I have seen panther drivers get offered 65 cent per mile loads out of Laredo before with my own eyes.
I have, too. But not 50 cents. And talking with someone at Panther who knows for sure, neither have they.

I've never been offered one at 65 cents out of south Texas, but 3 weeks ago I got one out of McAllen at 67 cents, plus a 13 cent FSC for a total of 80 cents. Panther got paid 90 cents for it. It's a shipper's market in south Texas, and they set the rates. If anyone is getting loaded out of Laredo at full rates (and judging by the load board it ain't happening very often) then the shipper failed to take advantage of that, or the carrier booked it and ate the difference to the driver to give the driver their "full" rate.

fortwayne

Not a Member
If Panther is telling you that they are paying $1.10 for C/V I would guess, and like I said I am only guessing - that is the rate for 'Premium' freight.....if not then is it much lower..but that is just my guess.

I drove for at least one company that signs you to a contract that lays their rates based upon 'Premium' freight, everything else you get is a percentage of whatever they get..so generally 65-70% of whatever rate they sell their souls for.

Bottom line, before you lease, heck before you even go in for training, before you even fill out an application - get a copy of the carriers contract.

I don't see any reason for a carrier not to provide you with one before you waste your time and theirs with an application.....if the contract isn't to your liking then move on.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I have, too. But not 50 cents. And talking with someone at Panther who knows for sure, neither have they.

I've never been offered one at 65 cents out of south Texas, but 3 weeks ago I got one out of McAllen at 67 cents, plus a 13 cent FSC for a total of 80 cents. Panther got paid 90 cents for it. It's a shipper's market in south Texas, and they set the rates. If anyone is getting loaded out of Laredo at full rates (and judging by the load board it ain't happening very often) then the shipper failed to take advantage of that, or the carrier booked it and ate the difference to the driver to give the driver their "full" rate.

I've booked three loads out of Laredo lately for a full rate, but on each of those occasions I had a customer call me with the load rather than post it. Nobody's getting full rate on a bid board load out of there right now.