question for van drivers

sparkle8859

Seasoned Expediter
Whats the average amount of miles you do per week? And do you think it is more profitable owning a van or a straight truck?

WestSide

Seasoned Expediter
Just a newbie here, and if this were a pop quiz for us learners, I'd say s/t's net close to c/v's if driving solo. Teams can put in more miles but have to share profits, so net is only somewhat better. More miles don't necessarily equate to higher profits. Most vans seem to run under 1000 miles on average, s/t's more, though your mileage may vary.

Do I pass? :eek:

sparkle8859

Seasoned Expediter
I think you pass. My husband and I are in a s/t right now and want to start our own business. I can buy a van out right or have payments on a s/t. Trying to run the numbers but for a solo in the van and team in the s/t.I don't think I could handle teaming in a van.I love him but not that much!

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
going to fire your husband? *LOL*

with experience you'd do good solo in a van...especially no payments....

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
If i was averaging only a thousand miles a week as a solo in a CV, id quit...i have been with load 1 for 10 weeks, and most will tell you that it is slow right now...I have driven 15285 loaded miles and 1549 dh miles....I didn't run the Bolt numbers because i can't get into my old fleetvision account fro them, but i can tell you i had to run more miles then that to earn the money i did at Bolt.....

Now miles driven aren't the most important thing....I am running less miles at Load one, but making more money.....

And alot of solo ST's are not making that kind of money.....

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member
I once was a s/t o/o,and now am a van o/o.I wish I would of done this a long time ago,before thinking of getting into a s/t.The money is alot better, I will tell you that from experience, and anyone that knows me,knows that I keep extremely detailed records of all and every expense.S/t's are going to be too regulated, if not already.One day, vans will be, but not for now.

sparkle8859

Seasoned Expediter
What would you say your are average pay per mile is? I tried reading past posts,and it did not sound right. I am with Panther right now in a s/t but they said van rate is 1.10 plus FSC. The other posts i have read are saying like .87 cpm. I know they offer at reduced rate but it still doesn't sound right to me. Can you clarify for me.Thanks.

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
What would you say your are average pay per mile is? I tried reading past posts,and it did not sound right. I am with Panther right now in a s/t but they said van rate is 1.10 plus FSC. The other posts i have read are saying like .87 cpm. I know they offer at reduced rate but it still doesn't sound right to me. Can you clarify for me.Thanks.

Sounds like someone was dreaming that :D

When we were with them it was .70c pm plus FSC

I don't think it ever topped $1.00 pm inclusive of FSC

sparkle8859

Seasoned Expediter
no I got the o/o info and vans are now contracted a 1.10. I know last year s/t were at 1.35,but now there down to 1.25.Guess they changed it. But still .87 seems low. Am I wrong?

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
No offence, but I think the O\O who said Panther is paying $1.10 a mile for a Van is yanking your chain.:D In 2007 Panther was paying $.77 per mile plus FSC.

sparkle8859

Seasoned Expediter
No offence, but I think the O\O who said Panther is paying $1.10 a mile for a Van is yanking your chain.:D In 2007 Panther was paying $.77 per mile plus FSC.

I got it from Panther. Patrica Wells sent me an o/o pamphlet. In it it says vans are 1.10 plus FSC. Any way, what should I expect for CPM in a van on average? Does .87 sound right?

P.S I got the pamphlet 2 months ago.

Last edited:

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
I got it from Panther. Patrica Wells sent me an o/o pamphlet. In it it says vans are 1.10 plus FSC. Any way what should I expect for CPM in a van on average? Does .87 sound right?

I'm sorry but I really do not know what you are asking :(

if Panther told you its $1.10 why do you think its more like .87 ?

Must admit I agree with Bill - it does seem highly unlikely that Panther in a couple of years would go from taking on at .70pm plus FSC to $1.10 plus FSC

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I have to ask, if you have it print and they are going to put that rate of $1.10 pm plus FSC as your "contracted" rate in writing in your contract, why are you worrying if $.87 pm is a good rate and why haven't you already signed with them??

sparkle8859

Seasoned Expediter
I'm sorry but I really do not know what you are asking :(

if Panther told you its $1.10 why do you think its more like .87 ?

Must admit I agree with Bill - it does seem highly unlikely that Panther in a couple of years would go from taking on at .70pm plus FSC to $1.10 plus FSC

I read it on one of the back posts here on EO. I don't know if I want to go with panther,so I am asking as a industry average. The post I read was from last year.I am looking for a more recent average. What should I expect in reality,not pumped up recruiter talk.

sparkle8859

Seasoned Expediter
I have to ask, if you have it print and they are going to put that rate of $1.10 pm plus FSC as your "contracted" rate in writing in your contract, why are you worrying if $.87 pm is a good rate and why haven't you already signed with them??

Panther will offer you loads for less than your contracted price. thats why I am asking.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I got it from Panther. Patrica Wells sent me an o/o pamphlet. In it it says vans are 1.10 plus FSC. Any way, what should I expect for CPM in a van on average? Does .87 sound right?

For starters, I'd expect them to stand behind whatever they say, especially if it's in writing, lol.
Second: if they pay cargo vans $1.10 & FS, there's gonna be some current o/O's staging a riot, methinks. What they're getting is much less than that. [I drove a van for Panther 5 years ago, and didn't get that much!]