Portable Generator?

shmekeru

Active Expediter
My 2000i has been in a box for over a year and still running strong ...period.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

asjssl I like your setup. Can you get us more details about what A/C unit are u using and I would really like to see some picture of the generator through the back door and also some picture of your A/C unit. Is it a roof top a portable A/C unit. Thanks

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Just a plain ole 5000 btu window shaker...it cools the van with no problems EXCEPT in laredo in the peak of the day.....a roof top ac that the 2000i will run ...would be another grand....so for 99.00 I have this.....I get a few "looks and laughs"...screw em....I'm comfortable...
aefcf1ef-5777-3d97.jpg

Picture size edited to 620 pixels wide. - Turtle

Last edited by a moderator:

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
Just a plain ole 5000 btu window shaker...it cools the van with no problems EXCEPT in laredo in the peak of the day.....a roof top ac that the 2000i will run ...would be another grand....so for 99.00 I have this.....I get a few "looks and laughs"...screw em....I'm comfortable...
aefcf1ef-5777-3d97.jpg

Picture size edited to 620 pixels wide. - Turtle

Another grand for a rooftop air? I thought those things were only a few hundred bucks? Maybe a 6-9000 btu ra perhaps?

Sent from my rooted DroidX running official Froyo, using Tapatalk!

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Another grand for a rooftop air? I thought those things were only a few hundred bucks? Maybe a 6-9000 btu ra perhaps?

Sent from my rooted DroidX running official Froyo, using Tapatalk!

U find a new one for a few hundred ....call me ill buy it.....

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I am with Asj, you find a 6-8000 btu rooftop ac new for a "few hundred"..call me...maybe we can get a even better price if we buy 3-4 of them...a 6-8000 btu unit is going to set you back a minimum of $8-$1000. plus installation...unless yo do it yourself including running power up to the roof...well unless you are ok with a cord and plug hanging fron the roof....
LOL, my 10,000 btu window shaker cost me $370 and my 12,000 btu roll around single room unit i used in my cv cost me $479...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
U find a new one for a few hundred ....call me ill buy it.....
Coleman Mach III PS (Power Saver), 13,500 BTU, or the Coleman Polar Cub at 9,200 BTU. Both run off the Honda 2000i, and both cost less than $1000.

The critical issue here is the subjective definition of "a few".

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Coleman Mach III PS (Power Saver), 13,500 BTU, or the Coleman Polar Cub at 9,200 BTU. Both run off the Honda 2000i, and both cost less than $1000.

The critical issue here is the subjective definition of "a few".

Define less than a thousand...well I'm cooling my whole van all in with generator,box, ac. unit for 1200.00 .... spent my $$ on The heart of the system....the gen.....didn't cheap out on that part....ac units are a dime a dozen...
You sure you can run those ac. With a 2000???

Last edited:

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
7-800 retail, 635-650 on sale...still not a few hundred...but less then a grand....

So were both wrong...

Us bolt guys don't have that load 1 fu $$$....ill stick with my 99.00 ac......Lol

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Define less than a thousand...
A sum not more than and not equal to one thousand. :D

To me, $200 is a couple hundred dollars. A few would be three or more, but less than a thousand. Once it reaches a thousand, it becomes a thousand. But a few hundred is indeed a very subjective term.

You sure you can run those ac. With a 2000???
Of course I am.

If you have a generator and an air conditioner that won't play well together, especially for the startup, it's actually a very easy fix. It's actually a fix that should probably be considered even if your generator will start the A/C with no problems, which will save a lot of wear and tear on a $1000 generator. Get a Supco SPP6E "hard start capacitor". It's $40 if ordered from here in Lousville, where they have a lot of information on the thing, or about $25 at other online retailers. It's a very popular mod with the RV (and boat) crowd. The model number SPP6E is the one you want. Trust me. Coleman also makes a hard start kit, but the Supco one is better.

Some may be thinking, "What? A hard start capacitor? I've never heardasucha thing."
Well, now ya have. Life can be funny that way, huh. I never heard of one until I watched someone install one. Took 10 minutes and no knowledge of air conditioners at all.

Here's a RV Air Conditioner Hard Start Capacitor How-To complete with pictures and everything. Yay.

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
If you have a generator and an air conditioner that won't play well together, especially for the startup, it's actually a very easy fix. It's actually a fix that should probably be considered even if your generator will start the A/C with no problems, which will save a lot of wear and tear on a $1000 generator. Get a Supco SPP6E "hard start capacitor". It's $40 if ordered from here in Lousville, where they have a lot of information on the thing, or about $25 at other online retailers. It's a very popular mod with the RV (and boat) crowd. The model number SPP6E is the one you want. Trust me. Coleman also makes a hard start kit, but the Supco one is better.

Some may be thinking, "What? A hard start capacitor? I've never heardasucha thing."
Well, now ya have. Life can be funny that way, huh. I never heard of one until I watched someone install one. Took 10 minutes and no knowledge of air conditioners at all.

Here's a RV Air Conditioner Hard Start Capacitor How-To complete with pictures and everything. Yay.

This is something I've heard about, but have never seen it. Thanks!!

I guess it would work on one of the portable room a/c units just as well? Edit: Looks like it will after some reading.

Last edited:

shmekeru

Active Expediter
A sum not more than and not equal to one thousand. :D

To me, $200 is a couple hundred dollars. A few would be three or more, but less than a thousand. Once it reaches a thousand, it becomes a thousand. But a few hundred is indeed a very subjective term.

Of course I am.

Turtle or anybody who knows out there. I did buy a Honda 2000i and a Coleman 9.2k roof top unit for my Sprinter. Now I am looking for somebody who can install em. Can u guys recommend a place where I can get these things mounted on. I want the Honda 2000i to be in a box attached to one of my Sprinter' rear door, just like asjssl has it attached to his Chevy' rear door.
Thanks!

Last edited:

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Any good RV shop should be able to install the AC unit if you can't do it yourself...it is a 14 inch hole....

There are "boxes" available, but they can cost almost as much as the generator...you might stop at a a good welding /fab shop, take the generator with you and tell them how you want it mounted and stored...they should be able to make something in a day or so.....

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Installing the roof top ac isn't all that hard.....angle grinder tape measure ...9/16 deep well socket and a hour or 2 of ur time....

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
LOL, my 10,000 btu window shaker cost me $370 and my 12,000 btu roll around single room unit i used in my cv cost me $479...

are you using both? have you insulated the box yet or are you cooling the fiberglass body alone?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Jack Berry wrote:

are you using both? have you insulated the box yet or are you cooling the fiberglass body alone?

Not using either of them...when i put the new van on the road, I left the 12,000 unit at home ...just forgot to take it as it we march and not reall on my mind...Well, once in Laredo, I went out and bought the 10,000 unit ....then a few weeks later I was taking it out, and tripped over my own feet and dropped it on the ground, putting a nice 5 in crease and scratch in the pass door of the new van and busting the ac unit to pieces...:rolleyes::eek:

So, the 10,000 was really over kill..i could get the van down to 65 in laredo...Yes the left full wall is insulated 8 ft back with both reflextic foil and the 3/4' form board...the 1st 6 ft of the ceiling is insulated with the reflextic foil and there is a 10 ft freigt blanket that hangs as a wall 6 ft back from the back of the seat. And the floor is insulated with the reflextic and plywood over that...

I now use a 8000 btu unit and it works just fine and has gotten the van down to 68 while sitting in 100* temps in Ala...

I need to finish the interior before the winter (hopefully before the expo) and then I really don't feel the need to do anything more other then install the mylar wall between the freight area and the front to keep everything up front as far as heat and cooling....

shmekeru

Active Expediter
Jack Berry wrote:

Not using either of them...when i put the new van on the road, I left the 12,000 unit at home ...just forgot to take it as it we march and not reall on my mind...Well, once in Laredo, I went out and bought the 10,000 unit ....then a few weeks later I was taking it out, and tripped over my own feet and dropped it on the ground, putting a nice 5 in crease and scratch in the pass door of the new van and busting the ac unit to pieces...:rolleyes::eek:

So, the 10,000 was really over kill..i could get the van down to 65 in laredo...Yes the left full wall is insulated 8 ft back with both reflextic foil and the 3/4' form board...the 1st 6 ft of the ceiling is insulated with the reflextic foil and there is a 10 ft freigt blanket that hangs as a wall 6 ft back from the back of the seat. And the floor is insulated with the reflextic and plywood over that...

I now use a 8000 btu unit and it works just fine and has gotten the van down to 68 while sitting in 100* temps in Ala...

I need to finish the interior before the winter (hopefully before the expo) and then I really don't feel the need to do anything more other then install the mylar wall between the freight area and the front to keep everything up front as far as heat and cooling....

chefdennis can u please recommend a reasonable place for mounting the ac roof top unit that I recently bought for my sprinter and also mounting the honda generator on my rear door in a metal box as some people had it done. I was looking over this forum and couldn't find almost anything.
Thanks.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
shmekeru wrote:

chefdennis can u please recommend a reasonable place for mounting the ac roof top unit that I recently bought for my sprinter and also mounting the honda generator on my rear door in a metal box as some people had it done. I was looking over this forum and couldn't find almost anything.
Thanks.

post #54 on THIS thread...

chef dennis wrote:

Any good RV shop should be able to install the AC unit if you can't do it yourself...it is a 14 inch hole....

There are "boxes" available, but they can cost almost as much as the generator...you might stop at a a good welding /fab shop, take the generator with you and tell them how you want it mounted and stored...they should be able to make something in a day or so.....

You want to buy a box for the honda, look at this link...as i said, they are expensive...but other then having on made for you at a welding / lab shop as I said, this is what is avalable:

http://www.hayesequipment.com/hayes_products.htm

Last edited:

shmekeru

Active Expediter
Installing the roof top ac isn't all that hard.....angle grinder tape measure ...9/16 deep well socket and a hour or 2 of ur time....

asjssl where did u get the box that holds you generator from? Did u buy it o had it done yourself ?