Portable Generator?

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
I'm looking at getting a portable generator, someone I talked to said there's a 3500 watt model at pepboys that works great. I also want to get rooftop air.

1. Can a portable generator be hooked into the batteries to charge them?

2. Can the rooftop air be ran through the inverter like everything else, as long as the above is true (assuming the inverter is large enough?)?

3. If 1 is possible, but 2 is not, would the best setup be to run the rooftop air directly to the generator, and have the other stuff stay through the inverter?

4. If neither 1 nor 2 are possible, do I simply run everything through the generator (or is this a scenario that should simply be avoided?)?

Remember, I am not talking about an APU. I am specifically talking about a gas powered, portable generator, mounted inside a lockable sidebox.

Also, how many watts does a rooftop air unit pull?

Thanks for the help.

Sent from my rooted DroidX running official Froyo, using Tapatalk!

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I'm looking at getting a portable generator, someone I talked to said there's a 3500 watt model at pepboys that works great. I also want to get rooftop air.

2. Can the rooftop air be ran through the inverter like everything else, as long as the above is true (assuming the inverter is large enough?)?

3. If 1 is possible, but 2 is not, would the best setup be to run the rooftop air directly to the generator, and have the other stuff stay through the inverter?

4. If neither 1 nor 2 are possible, do I simply run everything through the generator (or is this a scenario that should simply be avoided?)?

Remember, I am not talking about an APU. I am specifically talking about a gas powered, portable generator, mounted inside a lockable sidebox.

Thanks for the help.

Number one the answer is yes. They call them "Battery Maintainers."
If your going to run that large of a generator why not run the roof unit direct and save the battery's? Matter of fact I believe the 2000 watt generator will run everything. The roof unit will use a lot when starting and cooling down, other than that it shouldn't use that much juice. I would save the batter's for refrigerator, micro, comp, tv etc.:cool:

Ad to this. A 1000 watt generator will run a roof top by itself with nothing else added. I don't know what your starting watts are. A lot of vans run an A/C unit like that.

Last edited:

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
So you would recommend the portable generator with battery maintainer, rooftop air direct to generator, the rest as is through inverter, which is through the batteries, which in turn will be charged by the generator...

Makes sense to me.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
The surge on from the Rooftop AC when the compressor cycles I think would be a bit much for the inverter to handle and you are going to eat batteries also...

I really don't know of anyone that runs their AC unit thriugh an inverter..might be soe, but not that i know of...

Run the AC right off the generator, thats what most if not all here do. Get a GOOD pair of house bank batteries and a decent size inverter and let that handle everything else..

As for those open inverters, some of them are k and good, thers make a bunch of "head noise"..noise of the cylinder head and they tend to "T" people of, and ake it hard to sleep..even for you....just something to think about....

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
1. Yes, in fact several generators have a small amp (6-10) 12 volt output just for that. If you don't have that kind, you can buy a small charger to maintain your batteries.
2. No, you should not (probably cannot) try to run a rooftop air off an inverter. Even if it works, it won't work for long. Inverters only tolerate so much extreme use before they blow.
We would strongly suggest a smaller (9,000 btu) rooftop air conditioner running on a 2,000 watt generator (no, a 13,500 or 15,000 btu air conditioner will not consistantly run on a 2,000 watt generator, you have to have a larger 3,000 watt generator to run a large rooftop) but you HAVE to have excellent insulation in your entire vehicle to allow a smaller unit to keep you happy. Run everything else off your storage batteries with a maintainer charger keeping the storage batteries constantly charging. This set up will use less fuel and be much easier to store/carry/use the generator. That's our quarters worth of opinion.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
For number 2, yes you can run an A/C unit off an inverter, doing that right now as I type but I also have 15 large batteries on line to handle the load and another 15 off line for backup.

Many inverters will handle the surge (3000w and up easily handle it) but if there is a problem with low voltage on the input of the inverter (dropping below 11.5 volts) then the inverter will go into a brownout state and burn up the compressor in the A/C unit. This seems to be a common problem with dorm fridges that are put into trucks.

Take the suggestion to run it off a generator directly.

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
I think what I'm going to do is get one of the small rooftop airs, because my truck is very easy to cool. Run it straight to a 3000 watt generator, sold at pepboys for only around $300-$400. Then continue running everything else from my inverter, while having the generator charge the batteries.

This setup will also be way, way, way, way, cheaper than those apus that never work anyway.

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
One more thing also. I might also put in the batteries specifically to run the other things in the trick, this way I ensure never to have a dead battery caused by something other than light or something.

And do these portable generators have the automatic starts, or can one be installed for them?

Thanks everybody. I think I've already got more than enough to go on.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
For number 2, yes you can run an A/C unit off an inverter, doing that right now as I type but I also have 15 large batteries on line to handle the load and another 15 off line for backup.
Sorry, man, but I call BS on that one.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Sorry, man, but I call BS on that one.

Ditto.....why would you spend the $$$ and effort to rig up.all.those batteries.....with the $$$$ that's into all of that just buy a small generator.....run your ac from it....and if you are going.to.reply with ...."think of all the gas it will use"....well if u can't afford or going to complain about the minimal among of fuel if would.use........go home.and park Ur truck.....
all those batteries had to cost a fortune???

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner

Thanks for the help.

Biggest problem U WILL HAVE...any generator u buy a pep. Ous is going to be ..
A. lOUD...and that is considered rude when parking next to the rest of us....

B. It's going to suck some gas!!!..

So with that said...with all of the ideas of inverters, battery..take that $ and buy a nice generator like a Honda or Honeywell...and be done with it...if you plan on staying in this business for a at least couple of more years ....it will.pay for it self...and u will be glad u did it.....u have to spend $ to make $..

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
I have a question. Is there an "extended range tank" for the Honeywell specifically, or will anything that is gravity feed work? We had grabbed a generator on our way down here, to Laredo, and picked up an ac unit last night. But the poor husband had to get out and refuel after about 4 hours. My other question is after the initial surge can you switch it over to "eco mode" to save fuel?

Last edited:

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I have a question. Is there an "extended range tank" for the Honeywell specifically, or will anything that is gravity feed work? We had grabbed a generator on our way down here, to Laredo, and picked up an ac unit last night. But the poor husband had to get out and refuel after about 4 hours. My other question is after the initial surge can you switch it over to "eco mode" to save fuel?

That is exactly the setup I have....a Honda 2000i with an extra 5 gallon tank...so that's 6 gallon total capacity....and the Honda.has the Eco mode..it uses a little over a 1/10th of a gallon per hour running my 5000 but ac.

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
What's is the price on the honeywell or honda?

Would a pepboys generator inside a sidebox, with a muffler, through a vent hole be enough to quiet and properly vent, without having the sidebox open during use?

Can you even put a muffler on one from a pepboys?

How much gas are you saying this thing will suck? 4-5 gallons in 4 hours is in no way considered savings to me.

And can a pepboys generator have electric start? Inside panel push button start?

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
aefce5d5-8bc1-3757.jpg

Here is my setup....

TMFGO45

Seasoned Expediter
That is exactly the setup I have....a Honda 2000i with an extra 5 gallon tank...so that's 6 gallon total capacity....and the Honda.has the Eco mode..it uses a little over a 1/10th of a gallon per hour running my 5000 but ac.

That's more in line with what I would want. Plus, I obviously wouldn't be running my air unless necessary, and most of the time it would come on just to charge my batteries. How much was your setup, how is it mounted, and does it have electric start and charge the batteries?

Jenny

Veteran Expediter
We bought a 9000btu roll around, that will be mounted behind the drivers seat. We went for a bigger one having an unpartitioned sprinter. I have to say I woke up cold a few times last night. Now is that extra tank the one that was specifically for the Honda, or is it the general one you can buy AT Northern Tool? I know I probably sound like a dumb girl but I know nothing about generators.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter

Many inverters will handle the surge (3000w and up easily handle it) but if there is a problem with low voltage on the input of the inverter (dropping below 11.5 volts) then the inverter will go into a brownout state and burn up the compressor in the A/C unit. This seems to be a common problem with dorm fridges that are put into trucks.

Take the suggestion to run it off a generator directly.

15 BATTERIES ?????????????????????????????????????????????:eek:

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
We bought a 9000btu roll around, that will be mounted behind the drivers seat. We went for a bigger one having an unpartitioned sprinter. I have to say I woke up cold a few times last night. Now is that extra tank the one that was specifically for the Honda, or is it the general one you can buy AT Northern Tool? I know I probably sound like a dumb girl but I know nothing about generators.

Your not a dumb girl to ask that. I question the mechanics of some guys.

To me if your running a Honda, buy Honda parts, that way there is no question it will work and work safely. You sure don't want to wake in the middle of a good sleep smelling gas or ????? Be safe.:cool: