Portable Generator?

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I made it..I came up with the idea...cut all the parts...and my brother welded it ...( I'm not a good welded AT ALL)

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

shmekeru

Active Expediter
I made it..I came up with the idea...cut all the parts...and my brother welded it ...( I'm not a good welded AT ALL)

asjssl can you share the idea thought ). I found a welder he will do it for me. But I need to explain him how I want it and get the parts. I would like you to take a couple close pictures of the generator box and even open the door and take some pictures of how did you drill and got the wires through the door. I am going to print out your setup and show him how did u attached the welded metal box to the rear door. Also what happens when it's raining? Is the top of the generator protected from water pouring on?

Thanks.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I am not tryin to be a pain here, but if you found a welder that can build a box and he can't figure out what is needed simply by looking at the generator and then figuring out how to mount it on a metal door....id be looking for another welder....this is as basic as it gets for most any mechanically inclined person....

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I am not tryin to be a pain here, but if you found a welder that can build a box and he can't figure out what is needed simply by looking at the generator and then figuring out how to mount it on a metal door....id be looking for another welder....this is as basic as it gets for most any mechanically inclined person....

I agree its a.pretty simple box with a door .....the only thing I need to do / change is put a another door on the other side to create cross venalation..the gen can get pretty hot in the hot hot weather....pm me ur email ill fwd you some more pictures if you like....its totally sealed from the weather...

Monty

Expert Expediter
My setup looks like this. That is a 5,000 btu a/c unit. I does fine as long as I can keep the sun off that frickin bus windshield up front! (I'm going to get one of the reflective covers for it)

It takes me about 5 minutes to set up "camp". The ONLY thing the generator powers is the a/c unit, and the 500 watt converter, that keeps my batteries charged. The microwave, fridge, etc runs from the inverter, and not the generator.

Attachments

• S1480004.jpg
    S1480004.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 98
  • S1480005.jpg
    S1480005.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 86
  • S1480006.jpg
    S1480006.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 82
  • S1480007.jpg
    S1480007.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 79
  • S1480008.jpg
    S1480008.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 89
  • S1480012.jpg
    S1480012.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 74

shmekeru

Active Expediter
I agree its a.pretty simple box with a door .....the only thing I need to do / change is put a another door on the other side to create cross venalation..the gen can get pretty hot in the hot hot weather....pm me ur email ill fwd you some more pictures if you like....its totally sealed from the weather...

asjsssl you have a pm.

shmekeru

Active Expediter
My setup looks like this. That is a 5,000 btu a/c unit. I does fine as long as I can keep the sun off that frickin bus windshield up front! (I'm going to get one of the reflective covers for it)

It takes me about 5 minutes to set up "camp". The ONLY thing the generator powers is the a/c unit, and the 500 watt converter, that keeps my batteries charged. The microwave, fridge, etc runs from the inverter, and not the generator.

Notanewbie, thanks for posting the pictures. I like your setup. What I don't like is chaining the generator outside every time I have to get some sleep. I want the generator attached to the door also because I don't like the idea having the generator inside the van. Also I've seen a lot of CVs and Sprinters beside their roof top units having a ceiling vent. I was thinking should I get one of those installed too so I have air circulating since I have a separator between the cabin and cargo or the roof top unit would do it ?

Monty

Expert Expediter
The Sprinter does have a fan vent ... it cools the sleeper compartment ..

Some have asked about the dimensions, etc .... I have 104 inches on the floor in the cargo area. Just enough for two pallets.

That buklhead is just 1x1 steel tubing, installed from the conversion folks. There is a laminated sheet of wood paneling the grey material is glued to. It is not air tight, but close.

The a/c unit is resting on one of the 1x1 crossmembers for that bulkhead. What I need to do is install another exhaust fan in the cargo area, as it need to vent for the a/c, right now I just leave the back door open a bit.

The generator sitting out side is not an issue, and I do not start it if I'm just giong to nap for a couple of hours, I just idle the van engine.

Here is a picture of the conversion done by Midway Specialty Vehicles in Elkhart. The link to their website is:
Midway Specialty Vehicles – Your Custom Sprinter, Van, and Truck Conversion/Upfitter -

Attachments

• expediter1.jpg
    expediter1.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Might be a stupid question, but here it goes...can those small generators fit under the van? Then you wouldn't have to worry about rain etc

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Might be a stupid question, but here it goes...can those small generators fit under the van? Then you wouldn't have to worry about rain etc

Road grime..salt ....rain would kill em....

Monty

Expert Expediter
I've never measured the sleeper area, but it is about 6' .... I would imagine, what you see in the picture, is what you get.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I was talking about when people are parked and don't have a box like yours

As in sliding it under the truck. Only way to know for sure would be to measure it.....

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
NOTANEWBIE what kind of generator is your BLUE one that is chained to your tire . thanks

Monty

Expert Expediter
If you click on the picture, it will get larger, ya know. And yes, it is a Yahama, 2000I .. I did not need the inverter function, honestly, since everything but the a/c is powerd from an inverter already ... but, it makes storage and movement a lot easier.

briggie1

Seasoned Expediter
i have a sprinter and tried the house air mounted in the back door and it would not cool my van and i am insulated real good, so i put a roof air on top which i found new at my local camper store for $680, it is a colemam power saver mach 3, and i run it with a honda 2000, which is mounted on the back door, and i have been in the mountains below sea level everywhere and it has started everywhere, i even leave my generator run on eco mode, the only time i cant is when it is to hot like a 100 degrees in the middle of the day, i have a extra 6 gallon tank on the generator also,, i wouldnt of did all this but i have 2 little dogs that travel with me and they need the cool air,

Speedwagen

Seasoned Expediter
Is a chain a good enough theft deterrent to keep the generator where it belongs? I read that all of the small portables have plastic handles that people who want it more than you cut with a saw to steal.
I figure that being in the vehicle with it running should keep the hoodlums away?:)

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Is a chain a good enough theft deterrent to keep the generator where it belongs? I read that all of the small portables have plastic handles that people who want it more than you cut with a saw to steal.
I figure that being in the vehicle with it running should keep the hoodlums away?:)

Depends how soundly you sleep