Panther QC

mamaduck

Seasoned Expediter
I don't know where to post this since I have to have permission and I don't so I am going to post it here.

The QCs have been down company wide for 2 weeks on and off they are trying to fix them update etc.

Why should we have to pay for it $35.00 when we keep having to waste our time and money to call Panther about every thing and then calling us.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I've raised that very question myself, and so far no one at Panther wants to offer up anything remotely resembling a valid, intelligent explanation. In addition to having to pay for a service that is not being rendered, there are untold cell phone minutes having to be burned to deal with the problem, not to mention the untold hours wasted sitting there in the cue waiting for someone to pick up the phone.

Being a computer guy I can understand glitches and stuff, but at this point I have to wonder if they have even identified the problem in the first place. If they have, it should have been fixed already. I also wonder why they did an "upgrade" without knowing, for sure, what was going to happen. That's "Information Technology 101" type stuff. You walk it through, test it out, and be utterly prepared to go back if things don't work out as planned. Clearly, they did no planning whatsoever. The problems manifested themselves immediately, and they should have known what the problems were just as quickly, and then remedied the situation in short order. Instead, the problems continue, now going on three weeks.

Since the upgrade I have had three Load Acceptance messages go through automatically, without having to call in. I have had one, count 'em, one POD go through automatically. I have had one Depart Shipper, and thus an automatic Comdata Card load, go through automatically. I've looked closely at the Satellite Position History and note that there are times when 4, 5, 6 hours go by between updates. It's pathetic. By any criteria you choose, the system doesn't work, and hasn't worked for nearly three weeks, yet they're still charging people for it. I wonder what would happen if everyone began picking up and delivering freight with the same level of competence as those who are in charge of fixing this problem.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Con-Way Now had some Q.C. update related problems that lasted a couple of weeks. The following month no Q.C. fees were deducted from our settlements.

It would be nice if Panther reimbursed us, but I suspect they would totally screw up our settlements.

Falligator

Expert Expediter
:mad:It also doesn't help when you pod out of a load to send in your macro 8 and it doesn't come back. How am I supposed to make an informed decision when the qc's are screwing up. It's definitely fustrating to say the least and even more fustrating knowing that I am paying 35$ per week for this crappy service. It's a good thing Panther is on my list of 5 people to call with AT&T, or I'd be going over my minutes. It gets really fustrating when it starts interfering with my profitability. And not to mention the dispatchers or "anyone" at the office for that matter doesn't seem to know when they are going to be fixed. On the anger level I give this issue 8 out of 10.:mad:

dletheridge

Seasoned Expediter
Researching
We are also having the same kind of problems.

Funny thing is that before the update we weren't have any problems. Since the update ....... :(

I'm also an IT ex (is there any such thing as an ex-IT?) and this doesn't make sense to me either.

The folks that I have talked to suggest that the only 'band-aid" is to power off the unit for 20-30 minutes, then log off and then back on. Done this about 3 times - same problem.

I wonder if I need to call Panther and offer my professional service? Pretty sure that there are enough former IT and telecommunications out there that could figure the problem out.

Didn't they also do an upgrade to their computer system lately?

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
The update for DOD loads is wreaking havoc on those that have reefers. Something about a box that needs to be added to the reefer unit so that the QC will talk to it.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I have heard everything from updating the system to changing portals to adding GPS etc. in the trailers. Everyone should get a rebate depending on what they are paying. Kinda like rates, what is charged I think varies between owners.
That 35 a week if you are paying that is a carrier profit center. The real cost the carrier pays is about $11.00 a week. Or, that is what it was last year.

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well from what I saw and understood, each subscriber is in control of a lot of things like firmware updates. The push comes from Qualcomm but the subscriber tells them to "make these changes" and then it's done.

Now it seems to me that either Panther is not really complaining to qualcomm or they don't care. It may just be the case where they are not complaining to qaulcomm to get the issues fixed. I don't think with the number of units on the road and in many cases some really important freight being monitored by qualcomm, that they would let some issues sit.

Intergration into Panther's system may be another issue, not knowing their IT but knowing their competitors, it may be a case of poor project managment on different levels and simply resolved.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Might be on to something. If it is the same people who put that ridiculous board program together (likely the same) then it might be awhile for the completion.

Desperado

Seasoned Expediter
i hope it happens soon what ever they are doing/ some of the phone people don't know how to inter information right

Zoli

Veteran Expediter
I don't know why we have the 'driver council'?????? Why we still have to pay the high QC fees if the QC is not working?????

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Dear Panther,
I wonder if you need a good IT project manager who can pull your integration projects together?

It seems that you can shorten the length of time from concept to roll out with the right people who have experience in both IT management and your industry.

miguy1957

Expert Expediter
I don't know where to post this since I have to have permission and I don't so I am going to post it here.

The QCs have been down company wide for 2 weeks on and off they are trying to fix them update etc.

Why should we have to pay for it $35.00 when we keep having to waste our time and money to call Panther about every thing and then calling us.

Dont look for a return on any QC fees, Think about it. $35.00x say 1000 trucks $35000 per week x 52 weeks =1.82millon per year before they even move 1 load of freight, they probly have their office payroll covered. You dont think they are going to give up that cash cow........do you............

dancorn

Veteran Expediter
Dont look for a return on any QC fees, Think about it. $35.00x say 1000 trucks $35000 per week x 52 weeks =1.82millon per year before they even move 1 load of freight, they probly have their office payroll covered. You dont think they are going to give up that cash cow........do you............

They could honestly be called a Fat Cat.
Pun intended!
:D

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Yeah, I agree this sucks and we should get our qualcomm fees reduced at least. No sign of that in my paycheck today. Should I consult the "magic 8 ball or the Oigee board with and ask it when our qc's are going to be fixed.":mad: