Votes: 20 66.7%
  • no

Votes: 9 30.0%
  • undecided

Votes: 1 3.3%

• Total voters

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
Hasn't seemed to affect us any so far...but on an interesting note, has anyone looked at the FAQ's that was sent to the driver web? One of them said that we were NEVER on more than one board at a time. Also said that Panther has NEVER had boards. Kinda misleading, what we were told about boards from the time of hire....oh well, we never paid much attention to that anyways, seemed like if you were lucky to be the closest one to the load, you'd get it. So far the new system hasn't created any problems for us. Sometimes it tries to send us to places that there are too many people at, but other than that, I don't have issues with it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The confusion, and frustration, comes from them not properly defining the boards, and the board boundaries. You could be on three boards that do 2 loads a day, or you could combine those boards into one that does 6 loads a day. Same thing. But, they didn't do it that way. Not even close. Panther says the boards are based on where freight comes out of, but they're not. It should be that whever you could have been on 3 boards, those three boards should now be a single board.

One look at the boards and you can clearly see that someone merely took a Zip Code map and went crazy, and did so with little regard as to where the loads actually come out, and likely distances where people can layover to wait for a load. For the most part, boards that average a load a day should be absorbed into another board.

Louisiana has 56 parishes (counties) and Panther carved up the state into 34 boards. Should be about 4. Florida certainly doesn't need boards in both Miami and Ft Lauderdale. One for the whole bottom half of the state should suffice.

In Ohio, we don't need both a Franklin and a Dayton board. A strong argument can be made for putting Cincinnati, Franklin and Dayton all on one board. Akron, Cleveland and Medina should all be on the same board. For that matter, Massillon and Wooster should be a part of it, too. One can sit in the middle of all that and never be more than about half an hour away from the pickup. Instead, you can be sitting 5 miles from a pickup and won't even be considered for it because you're on the wrong board, and they give it to someone 40 miles away who dropped off 2 hours ago and you've been sitting there for a day and a half.

miguy1957

Expert Expediter
The way I understand it is that you could be 5 miles from a load and not be on that board and been sitting for 2 days and someone could be 20 miles out from the load and just dropped off and they would be offered the load ahead of you because they are on that board and you are not.............dont seem quite fair if you ask me.
________
CALIFORNIA DISPENSARY

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Wouldn't be more prudent to just eliminate the use of 'boards' and use something like the nearest truck to the load idea?

This way two things may just happen, a faster turnaround time to find a truck and a reduction in time lost searching for a truck to cover a load.

Just a thought.....

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I was sitting at the J in Walton, KY. the qc informed me that Hamilton, OH did 3 loads a day. I got there on Tuesday around 1700 and as soon as i was there i was 1st on the board. I sat all evening on Tuesday, and half of the day on Wednesday with not a single load offer. I got sick of it and decided to head for home. Stopped in Columbus, Oh on the way to see family....(no way i'm sitting there) got rolling again and was 9 miles from the house in New Garden and Panther calls me wanting me to p/u a load in Coshocton, OH going to Lansing, MI. I had just listened on the sat radio saying that MI was getting hammered. I turned the load down and my qc beeps...well ya'll know by now that they "really" need my help. OK i take the load....and there is another long story in this.....but i made out on the load...so i'm still thinking, but i now have a 1st out and was still sitting in Lansing until 1830, so I finally left. probably just going to get to Bucyrus...unless there is another 1st out there. Other than that, ya'll have a good night. No, I don't like the new system b/c I had just got used to the old one. And the van count still isn't accurate like they say it is since I found otherwise.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The way I understand it is that you could be 5 miles from a load and not be on that board and been sitting for 2 days and someone could be 20 miles out from the load and just dropped off and they would be offered the load ahead of you because they are on that board and you are not.............dont seem quite fair if you ask me.

I would say this is a problem unless they are considering dwell time into the equation with a defined radius, which they are not. Very valid point.

Someone had the bright idea to to send a message via the QC stating the system is smarter than the driver.
Well...lets see

Unloaded in Binghamton with EM to Carahaga Lake, NY 0 loads in 21 days .........bad idea
Unload in Tampa, FL, EM to Miami with one truck there. 9 loads in 21 days ........bad idea
Unload in Aiken, SC and EM to the farms in Greenwood SC.
Fields are fenced off so no place to park except next to the barn.
Unload in Fargo ND, EM to Lake Norden SD. 2 loads in 21 days.....are you kidding me? Went to Rogers, MN

Just a few examples over the last several days. Oh yeah... forget Birmingham, AL. It isn't recognized? Ummm your either Trafford or Shelby zip codes.

Obviously we don't pay attention to the repositions other than to say no. Still need to do some tweaking on this system. It does take getting use to, and one has to "learn" the system.
I still think a consideration of drivers imput should have been used in this project.

Last edited:

Falligator

Expert Expediter
Oh yeah... forget Birmingham, AL. It isn't recognized? Ummm your either Trafford or Shelby zip codes.
Yep, as an example, I dropped in Saltillo, MS on Monday at 0800 got an em to Shelby, AL....called dispatch 2 loads in the last 5 days....hmmm am i sitting there??? NFW! and 3 vans sitting around Birmingham. I dh to Franklin, KY sat the night and was suffering with a case of the sinuses and a cold on top of it. Still trying to recover. Not a good Panther week. I sat in Cincy got a load to Lansing, Bucyrus had bunches of vans so I went home. Here I am.

Will someone please give us the old system back?! at least I stayed loaded. More than now.
I still think a consideration of drivers imput should have been used in this project.
Where was the driver council on this one????
I did talk to a guy at the J in Cincy who said that the system was working for him...except that day and was avg 1500 miles a week in his van. I asked him what he did and he said that he had been accepting every em they offered.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Where was the driver council on this one????

The Council was right there and available, and no one asked them for their input on the implementation of any of these changes.

I did talk to a guy at the J in Cincy who said that the system was working for him...except that day and was avg 1500 miles a week in his van. I asked him what he did and he said that he had been accepting every em they offered.

It's the luck of the draw and where you're at. I had 3 weeks there, in January, where I did way over 2000 miles a week, one week it was over 3000 miles. In the last two weeks, since the new system has been in place, I've done squat. But that's mainly due to where I've been, not so much the new system (even though the new system is a skud).

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
hey falligator u were sitting with my buddy terry at the flying j , he peeled out to anderson ind and still hasnt gotten a load...not on the indy board, grand rapids has 7 loads a day, much better board, they moved my buddy there from warren mi yesterday and hes headed to columbus 350 mile run

indydad11934

Seasoned Expediter
If you need another opinion on Panthers' new strategy I would like to share mine.
I realize that it has only been a week or so, but I've only managed 1 load for 200 miles in seven days.
I am not an old timer by any means (been with Panther for 2 1/2 years) but I've always managed to get my share of loads per week.
My only gripe is that I need them to explain the rules clearly....then I can play the game (on a level playing field). Calling my team and asking for assistance does no good.
I hope things will change for the better.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Idad, if you have been with Panther for 2 1/2 years you should know by now the game isn't played on a level field. I'm not sure it is even played on a field. Clear, well defined rules tend to muck up the operation. You are now passing through Nebulousville on your way to the Twilight Zone.

"Informed contractors are knowledgeable contractors.
Knowledgeable contractors are dangerous contractors."

-Rod Serling

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Do-do-do-doo ..... do-do-do-doo ......

"Please do not attempt to adjust your set ..... we control the horizontal .... and the vertical .... " :eek:

Falligator

Expert Expediter
hey falligator u were sitting with my buddy terry at the flying j , he peeled out to anderson ind and still hasnt gotten a load...not on the indy board, grand rapids has 7 loads a day, much better board, they moved my buddy there from warren mi yesterday and hes headed to columbus 350 mile run
Yeah, I seen your buddy indysdad at the J. Yeah I went home to...so I was thinking and got about 9 miles from the house and got a load offer I just couldn't refuse going to Lansing, MI for 284. So I dropped that one and headed back to the house was going to stay on the bucyrus, brd, but it was full, so I got home and in the morning I got a load going from Youngstown, OH to Kings Mtn., NC 538 loaded. Not bad. Now I'm on my way to Florida to take a much needed hiatus. Especially after what happened in MI. Will they ever plow the damn roads in Mi the right way? Or at all? Well, next time I post I will be holding a beer and soaking in the rays!

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
Other than collecting info from drivers we the Drivers Council were not involved in this change much. Because the program is controlled by what the Panther IT guys they are the ones that have to figure it out. At the next meeting we will have a lot to say about how we think it's working or not working as the case may be. But in the end it's up to the IT guys on this issue.
We will continue to offer input but the changes that will come down the road will take time. I am sure it isn’t an easy program to write.

groinster

Seasoned Expediter
Just to put my two pennies in...i was always told that we could be on more than one board at a time. If you sat in Dallas, you were on the Dallas and Ft. Worth boards and if you called your team, they would tell you your pos. on both. Now, I am only allowed to be on one board??? This sucks. But as with all new things, it will take some time to get used to. I was in the shop for most of the week, so i really haven't had a chance to see the "new system" in work. I just wish that they would correct the problem with macro 8. I can do a mess 8, see how many trucks are on the nearest boards, then call dispatch, or get to the other board, and the number is always greater. For example, mess 8 in Ft. Wayne, 1 truck in Indy. We get there and we are 8th out. I understand that people might come back in service, pod, etc. But that was a large difference. And it wasn't the first time that it has happened.

miguy1957

Expert Expediter
This is amazing to me that almost 40% of panther drivers would want to only show up one one board limiting the loads to be offered. Just totally AMAZING. Could someone explain this to me maybe Im missing something .... I dont understand. WHY you would only want to show on 1 instead of 2,3,4 or more????????????
________
Vaporgnie

Last edited:

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
naa we dont salt the roads here anymore, we ran out of money!!!! makes me wanna move south, shoveled 18 inches out of my driveway the other day..its 175 feet long, thought i was goona blow a valve,,,

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
If you sat in Dallas, you were on the Dallas and Ft. Worth boards....Now, I am only allowed to be on one board??? This sucks.
Yes, it does suck, but not because we can't be on two boards. If they would define the boards properly, based on common sense and where the freight comes out, Dallas and Ft Worth would be one board, not two, and there would be no need to be on more than one board at a time.

But noooooooooo!

We will continue to offer input but the changes that will come down the road will take time. I am sure it isn’t an easy program to write.

Did you take a look at the IT Hot Spot Project Explanation? OMG, yeah, you can bet it'll take time. Now they'll have to go in and re-learn how to do it all again, which means they not only have to make the necessary changes, they have to undo many of the ones they made. Yeah, it'll take time, two or three times longer than it should. If they'd just solicited information from the drivers in the first place, they wouldn't have to go back and redo all this.

And I promise you, unless they go in and completely redefine the boards, using common sense to do so, none of the changes they make will make any difference. And if they don't, they will lose good drivers and fleet owners in droves.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
This is amazing to me that almost 40% of panther drivers would want to only show up one one board limiting the loads to be offered. Just totally AMAZING. Could someone explain this to me maybe Im missing something .... I dont understand. WHY you would only want to show on 1 instead of 2,3,4 or more????????????

Well, it was explained to me that, before, where you were sitting on multiple boards, everybody on all of those boards were effectively lumped into a single FIFO board, anyway, and that with the new system those boards would be combined into a single board, thereby eliminating the need to be on multiple boards. Based on that, there's no reason to be on multiple boards, because it won't get you loaded any sooner nor will it expand the number of available loads.

However, that's not what they did. They grossly overcomplicated the simple, and did so in the quickest, easiest, most expedient manner. They should be embarrassed. But when (if) they get it fixed, there's no need to be on multiple boards.

Besides, before this new system came out, Panther NEVER had boards at all. Right?
36_2_49.gif