Panther 2019

TFTN-one3B

Not a Member
Owner/Operator
US Marines
Looks to be some changes coming for Panther. Meaning the only thing "Panther" about them will be the name.

From the sounds of it will not be good for O/0, Fleet owners, or Driver's. They have lost over 100 CV's alone(st, and TT also, just unknown numbers) since Thanksgiving according to Management. Which is not surprising due to how they have been treating us lately. The general consensus is among current OO, FO, and Drivers is Panther is going down the crapper.

Had to fight them for a $50 dry run last week. (Canceled the load via qc while enroute, but didn't call so didn't know until I arrived on site) Earlier this week had them reduce a different dry run pay(that happened during the day) by a night supervisor at 1230am the other morning for no reason. Just a couple of incidents within the past week . That coupled with the typical forgetfulness (lies) from incompetent dispatchers, lack of loads, no additional incentives to run crap loads, etc.....has resulted in this assessment on Panther.

I am not posting this out of anger, or in exaggeration. Just about anyone who has been with Panther a while will verify what's going on with them. This is also not meant to libel them in any way......this just an honest no BS assessment of them serving as a warning to whoever they try to sucker(recruit). Myself and others I know are actively looking to be moving on by the time the new contracts roll out.

TFTN-one3B

Not a Member
Owner/Operator
US Marines
I tried a couple smaller companies for a couple of years. Yes, they aren't making money if you aren't rolling.....but they were always trying to get me to run for .70-.75 so they could get the loads. They never cared where I went or what I made because their cut was the same.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I tried a couple smaller companies for a couple of years. Yes, they aren't making money if you aren't rolling.....but they were always trying to get me to run for .70-.75 so they could get the loads. They never cared where I went or what I made because their cut was the same.

I consider my company is small, well may be bigger small, lol...

I like it because it feels like working in a family oriented environment where everyone is addressed by the first name.

Sometimes my offrered rates are low, but I understood the reasons. Customers need the services, company the the contracts and we need to keep the customers happy. Once the customers gained trust with the company...ok then, let's negotiate and up the rates.

I like to operate the business with the team mindset so that I understand why my company do what they do. Therefore I contributed my part.

I accepted the lower rate for a reason, But I can say, in average, most of my offered rate are higher than lower. Also, there were a few mishaps runs that I had to absorbed the costs(ya it's the business expenses), things that the company should compensate and reimburse. Though I absorbed them, my company knew and remembered that. And in return, my compensations and reimbursements come in the form of futures loads with good rates. It happens that way in my experience with my company.

Just my thoughts.....

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
100 less cargo vans is a decent start.
True, but where does it stop?
Around and around it goes, where it stops nobody knows. I will report back when when my number gets called.
Perhaps ABF has decided that Str8's are profitable but vans not so much?
Perhaps, but Panther's van fleet is non-CMV. As such we vanners are subsidizing the rest of the fleet for FMCSA, IFTA etc. compliance oversight.

BigStickJr

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Could it be that some bigwig has decided that the unregulated vans could pose an unnecessary liability?
The ELD Straights are easier to control. And easy to prove compliance. ABF probably doesn’t really haul many shipments that they can’t afford to pay a straight.
If they did, for whatever reason, they could take the hit and it’d all average out.

Let’s dump hundreds of vans back into the market ( for jobs, not freight) and see what happens.

Grizzly

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I consider my company is small, well may be bigger small, lol...

I like it because it feels like working in a family oriented environment where everyone is addressed by the first name.

Sometimes my offrered rates are low, but I understood the reasons. Customers need the services, company the the contracts and we need to keep the customers happy. Once the customers gained trust with the company...ok then, let's negotiate and up the rates.

I like to operate the business with the team mindset so that I understand why my company do what they do. Therefore I contributed my part.

I accepted the lower rate for a reason, But I can say, in average, most of my offered rate are higher than lower. Also, there were a few mishaps runs that I had to absorbed the costs(ya it's the business expenses), things that the company should compensate and reimburse. Though I absorbed them, my company knew and remembered that. And in return, my compensations and reimbursements come in the form of futures loads with good rates. It happens that way in my experience with my company.

Just my thoughts.....
Mailer - 100% correct thinking!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using EO Forums mobile app

Horsecrap ....!
In my book, as a business owner I need to get paid accordingly for each and every load .... each and every cost incurred.
Ultimately I'm responsible to one team ... the one at home. Reputable business people understand this.
There's no reason why you can't have a great working relationship with a company .. and get paid!

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I ran for no less then .97 to $1.00 in a Sprinter. When the rate went down I stopped driving.

Reactions: guido4475

Treadmill

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

I ran for no less then .97 to $1.00 in a Sprinter. When the rate went down I stopped driving.
So I guess you won’t be back out soon. Lol

Last edited:
Reactions: BillChaffey

TFTN-one3B

Not a Member
Owner/Operator
US Marines

Lol yeah, I agree with Treadmill. Won't be seeing you back out.

Pay is about the same now for cargo vans as they are sprinters. About the only upside is in a sprinter, I can carry taller items. Be surprised how many company's ship those plastic crates that are 50 inches tall(which won't fit in a regular cargo van).

Reactions: T270_Dreamin

guido4475

Not a Member

Lol yeah, I agree with Treadmill. Won't be seeing you back out.

Pay is about the same now for cargo vans as they are sprinters. About the only upside is in a sprinter, I can carry taller items. Be surprised how many company's ship those plastic crates that are 50 inches tall(which won't fit in a regular cargo van).

I wonder how many companies out there charge the customer the same for a cargo van/ $printer, but pay the cargo vans less in order to make more money off the load. Or how many companies do not give the driver 100% of the fuel surcharge?.....too many companies make their money off of the driver in the form of ridiculous fees instead of making money off of the load itself.

T270_Dreamin

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

Not until I upgrade my truck, still in a 2006 Sprinter. It's just sitting on the street right now collecting dust.

TFTN-one3B

Not a Member
Owner/Operator
US Marines

Not until I upgrade my truck, still in a 2006 Sprinter. It's just sitting on the street right now collecting dust.

Well before you do upgrade and head back out, you best lower your expectations for rates. Average are what cargo vans used to be three years ago . Maybe every now and then might get a better paying one.....but you will be heading to a dead area .

guido4475

Not a Member

Well before you do upgrade and head back out, you best lower your expectations for rates. Average are what cargo vans used to be three years ago . Maybe every now and then might get a better paying one.....but you will be heading to a dead area .

Maybe the rates are fine, but it is the companies who are paying less and keeping more for themselves?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Looks to be some changes coming for Panther. Meaning the only thing "Panther" about them will be the name.

From the sounds of it will not be good for O/0, Fleet owners, or Driver's. They have lost over 100 CV's alone(st, and TT also, just unknown numbers) since Thanksgiving according to Management. Which is not surprising due to how they have been treating us lately. The general consensus is among current OO, FO, and Drivers is Panther is going down the crapper.

Had to fight them for a $50 dry run last week. (Canceled the load via qc while enroute, but didn't call so didn't know until I arrived on site) Earlier this week had them reduce a different dry run pay(that happened during the day) by a night supervisor at 1230am the other morning for no reason. Just a couple of incidents within the past week . That coupled with the typical forgetfulness (lies) from incompetent dispatchers, lack of loads, no additional incentives to run crap loads, etc.....has resulted in this assessment on Panther.

I am not posting this out of anger, or in exaggeration. Just about anyone who has been with Panther a while will verify what's going on with them. This is also not meant to libel them in any way......this just an honest no BS assessment of them serving as a warning to whoever they try to sucker(recruit). Myself and others I know are actively looking to be moving on by the time the new contracts roll out.

If you wait until the bomb drops, you'll be in a sea of refugees. If you honestly think you'll be quitting, better do it now.