Panther 2019

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver
I still cant help but wonder if the drivers company is charging the party paying for the load for a straight truck, but yet paying those guys in a Cube garbage rates, and pocketing the rest.
It can be different. There are companies that get a lot of cubes and hire drivers for slaves. There are also owner operator cubes and they make better $ then any van you know.

What a glorious Day!

TFTN-one3B

Not a Member
Owner/Operator
US Marines
Small straights carry ramps which make them dock high at loading. So it works out!
I can assure you, if you showed up at any of the shippers i used to pick up from, you would have been turned away.

I've seen vans like his turned away for such a thing. Another reason was they needed to drive the items in and set it down with the fork truck. Couldn't slide them in per policy .

I still cant help but wonder if the drivers company is charging the party paying for the load for a straight truck, but yet paying those guys in a Cube garbage rates, and pocketing the rest.
I would almost bet they are. Or at least have tried. I mean, can't blame them for trying cut corners and make a buck.

Mantia67

Seasoned Expediter
Owner/Operator
That’s why I quit driving for them got my own DOT number and Freight insurance. I got 4 load boards that I bid freight from and just saying my loads don’t pay less than 1.25 mile. So quit bitching and do something.

Reactions: SoG

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver
That’s why I quit driving for them got my own DOT number and Freight insurance. I got 4 load boards that I bid freight from and just saying my loads don’t pay less than 1.25 mile. So quit bitching and do something.
Word up!

What a glorious Day!

Reactions: Mantia67

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
There are companies that get a lot of cubes and hire drivers for slaves. There are also owner operator cubes and they make better $ then any van you know.
Which one are you, slave or owner/operator?

Reactions: SoG

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver
Which one are you, slave or owner/operator?
I am a very rare breed. I dont own the truck I drive but operations runs as if I did. Meaning nobody tells me where to go. I bid loads with dispatch and choose prices. The only way it would be better is if I owned a truck, better income. Hopefully some day

What a glorious Day!

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver
So you are a driver that drives for an owner. Very rare indeed!
Moot it's very different when you operate as an o/o with a smaller pay then actual owner operator than a guy who has no say in when he works or where he drives. I met many guys driving for companies and I heard many horrible stories which lead me to realise that the way I work is a huge blessing. I truly wish more people would drive for themselves, especially in the country we live in it's possible for right about anyone who is willing to move a little out of the comfort zone. That said I want to say that I respect any driver, o/o or not. Job can be hard, dangerous, long hours and a lot of time away from home. So to everyone here I just want to say one thing: RESPECT.

What a glorious Day!

Reactions: brokcanadian

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And not only that, he drives a cube van that thinks it's a straight truck. ;)
With Ramps ... don't forget the Ramps that make you Dock Plate high ..
Oh yeah , i guessing the Cube Van pictured in his signature is the White Cube Van that Sexually Identifies itself as Small Straight Truck ...

guido4475

Not a Member
It can be different. There are companies that get a lot of cubes and hire drivers for slaves. There are also owner operator cubes and they make better $ then any van you know.

What a glorious Day!

Bullsh*t. Yea, right.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So you are a driver that drives for an owner. Very rare indeed!
Moot it's very different when you operate as an o/o with a smaller pay then actual owner operator than a guy who has no say in when he works or where he drives.

An owner/operator is a person that owns and drives (operates) a vehicle for hire.

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
But some companies tell you where and when to go while calling you an o/o, not every carrier is "enlightened"

Edit: I know I'm posting here. I have never worked for Panther, or any carrier mentioned in this thread, but had a problem with Canadian carriers treating me like an employee in the past

Last edited:
Reactions: Road Pirate

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
But some companies tell you where and when to go while calling you an o/o, not every carrier is "enlightened"
Sure they can tell you where and when to go. As an O/O you can decline their offer. You even have the ability to tell them where to go.

Reactions: brokcanadian

brokcanadian

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sure they can tell you where and when to go. As an O/O you can decline their offer. You even have the ability to tell them where to go.
Yes! But some carriers will terminate you for saying no. I put an explanation above, some still run owner-ops like employees

SoG

Active Expediter
Driver
That's what I am trying to tell you. It's not about technicalities and terms you use to identify someone. It's about a day to day work. I get to operate as an o/o which is so much better because there are so many freedoms that come with it! Most "company men" can't take work more or less if they so choose. There is always a "boss".

What a glorious Day!