Panhandler...to give or not to give, that's the question.

cubansammich

Not a Member
I have been broke, out of work, with a wife and kid. I never begged. I never robbed or stole. It can be done. It takes effort, sacrifice and character. Qualities that seem to be lacking in many.
Verifiable first hand accounts make solid arguments, especially when the source is undoubtedly virtuous.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Verifiable first hand accounts make solid arguments, especially when the source is undoubtedly virtuous.

You could ask my wife, but you would likely call her ....................... too. How about her cousin? He has 7 kids, wife does not work. Home schools them all, 1 graduated from college, one in college now, no loans.Wife does NOT WORK! ONE INCOME. Mom and pop business. OH YEAH! Their income is FAR below the "poverty level". They own a home, cars, and have NEVER taken public money. Must suck to only know weak people. I tend to hang around strong people. Much better examples of how it should be. Your ice pick is getting Really old.

Last edited:

cubansammich

Not a Member
You could ask my wife, but you would likely call her ....................... too. How about her cousin? He has 7 kids, wife does not work. Home schools them all, 1 graduated from college, one in college now, no loans.Wife does NOT WORK! ONE INCOME. Mom and pop business. OH YEAH! Their income is FAR below the "poverty level". They own a home, cars, and have NEVER taken public money. Must suck to only know weak people. I tend to hang around strong people. Much better examples of how it should be. Your ice pick is getting Really old.
What an interesting story of your wife's cousin's family history. It would indeed suck to only know weak people but I fear we are veering off topic with these interesting anecdotes about your personal and family's self sustained history.

It may be best to go back to the topic at hand and whether or not we help people who ask for handouts and why.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter

If we were to follow the logic you put forth on a regular basis, what your wife's cousin has done is merely what one is supposed to do..

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lets knock off the personal cracks even tho some have introduced personal info into the topic!
Do you give to panhandlers Yes or No

Pretty simple question.... The whys are NOT required.

cubansammich

Not a Member
Lets knock off the personal cracks even tho some have introduced personal info into the topic!
Do you give to panhandlers Yes or No

Pretty simple question.... The whys are NOT required.
If you are referencing the "Must suck to only know weak people" directed at me I assure that I can handle my own battles without moderator support but thank you for the effort if it was indeed in my behalf.

I agree with your determination that the personal stories detract from the thread, in fact I mentioned the same thing a few posts back.

Oh well back to the topic at hand.

Sometimes I wonder what people have done to get in the situation they are in. I know most likely it is self induced, but many of them are mentally ill. I then try and imagine being homeless and an impending storm and looking for shelter in the woods under a tarp and all that would go along with being in that situation. I give a few bucks or some food here and there, it doesn't affect my life and maybe makes someones day a wee smidgen brighter. I try to not judge but instead imagine being in such a bad situation. If I get played for a fool sometimes so be it.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter

You should rephrase that "does not work".
Raising 7 kids and homeschooling sounds like about 4 jobs to me!!!
Kudos!!!

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
But I keep a case if bottled water in the van. If the traffic light timing is right, I grab a couple of those and hang them out the window.
I've never been turned down. Being broke makes one thirsty.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If you are referencing the "Must suck to only know weak people" directed at me I assure that I can handle my own battles without moderator support but thank you for the effort if it was indeed in my behalf.

I agree with your determination that the personal stories detract from the thread, in fact I mentioned the same thing a few posts back.

Oh well back to the topic at hand.

Sometimes I wonder what people have done to get in the situation they are in. I know most likely it is self induced, but many of them are mentally ill. I then try and imagine being homeless and an impending storm and looking for shelter in the woods under a tarp and all that would go along with being in that situation. I give a few bucks or some food here and there, it doesn't affect my life and maybe makes someones day a wee smidgen brighter. I try to not judge but instead imagine being in such a bad situation. If I get played for a fool sometimes so be it.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by layoutshooter
I have been broke, out of work, with a wife and kid. I never begged. I never robbed or stole. It can be done. It takes effort, sacrifice and character. Qualities that seem to be lacking in many.

cubansammich responded:

you are a prolific sniper....that is a compliment. Why because I am inferring that you are an edumacated person...and you've been warned before about sniping....

I am sure also Layout will not infer ANY member is a weak person as he has done in the past....this goes to point that too much personal info can be a detriment to most subjects as such info can be taken very personally when used against that person at a later time...
This is NOT a personal confessional web site.... Leave your deeply personal stuff at the door.....EXPEDITING is the main focus here......other stuff belongs in the soapbox. Thank you....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes... the odd time I get suckered in by a beggar.....but so goes it...makes me feel better....I should not be the one feeling bad....hopefully my donation helps them out in some small way.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Just walked in to a Lowe's here in Michigan. A guy walking out of the exit door asked if I could spare a dollar.
Now, I understand people's needs for "a dollar" can vary.
But why would one walk into Lowe's if they were going to walk out asking a guy in cargo shorts, a HOB t-shirt and flip-flops for a dollar?!?!

Do you think he's panhandling inside of Lowe's?
Wouldn't that be a stretch?

Maybe the gentleman was a buck short on a purchase?

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Drat. Now I feel bad cause I have been in line behind several over the years and donated up to a couple of bucks.
Lesson learned.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by layoutshooter

cubansammich responded:

you are a prolific sniper....that is a compliment. Why because I am inferring that you are an edumacated person...and you've been warned before about sniping....

I am sure also Layout will not infer ANY member is a weak person as he has done in the past....this goes to point that too much personal info can be a detriment to most subjects as such info can be taken very personally when used against that person at a later time...
This is NOT a personal confessional web site.... Leave your deeply personal stuff at the door.....EXPEDITING is the main focus here......other stuff belongs in the soapbox. Thank you....

You know what they say on the third strike.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

I've been broke, out of work, with a kid, too - no wife, though [I'd have welcomed another adult to help out!].
The experience never made me believe "if I did it, you have no excuse", because I recognize that sometimes, it's just [for lack of a better word] luck that makes the difference. Right place, right time, karma, whatever. Life doesn't give us what we deserve, good or bad, mostly.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Iv'e been broke plenty of times. Having some cash in the pocket is much better.:p The closest Iv'e been to homeless is being in San Francisco when home was in Connecticut. I worked for $.60 per hour 10 hour days & they with held taxes although I don't believe the IRS ever saw them. We got 1\2 hour for lunch. A fellow worker offered to teach me how to panhandle. I passed. Slept in $.50 admission movie houses that were open 24 hours. If you were caught sleeping a cops night stick or a perverts hand would wake you in a hurry. Personally I believe there's work for anyone if they want it bad enough.

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The problem I have with the whole panhandling thing is besides tax free money as I mentioned earlier, just like welfare, what was designed to be a short term crutch to help people through a rough patch, all to frequently ends up turning into a "lifestyle".

People get a taste of being on the dole or get a few bucks in their pocket that they didn't have to work for and just like the staples button, too many of them say "that was easy" and what was once a short term solution becomes a life long way of living.

There's a guy in our town with a sign that says "I'm broke and trying to get home, any help appreciated". Problem is, he's been broke and trying to get home for the last three years now. as it's not possible to tell the truly needy from the con artists anymore, I just have to make it a policy to say no!