Panhandler...to give or not to give, that's the question.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I once saw a guy with a sign that said, "Why lie? I need $ for beer."
I gave him $5. Honesty worked on me.
Sent from my EVO using EO Forums mobile app

cranis

Expert Expediter
Driver
Was out in Omaha a few years back and they actually (at the time) gave permits to panhandle.
Were not allowed to do it at banks or other financial locations and were not allowed to 'ask', for it.. or walk up to you.. If caught they would lose permit and fined. thought this was funny..
Do not know if it is this way now,,

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The simple way to stop panhandling is for people to stop giving.

They are only there because enough people do give them something. I don't blame the panhandlers, I blame the people that support them.

People usually do it for one of two reasons. Either they are stupid and naive enough to believe the are actually doing someone some good, or they have guilty consciences for something they have done in the past and this somehow makes them feel better about themselves. Either way, there is enough people out there that fall into those categories to make it worth the panhandlers while.

They have signs that say don't feed the bears, maybe they need one for panhandlers as well.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
That's what I tell 'em every time. But today it was a little bit different (I should say a case of desperation), a Spanish woman, maybe early 30's, asked me for something to drink, then change to spare, and since my answers were no, she offered me an "oral activity". I guess she got scared when I said a loud NOOO, cause the next second she was gone.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using EO Forums mobile app

Is it possible that she might be a dentist? Lol.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I was in one of the dozens of Wal Marts in Springfield MO a couple of weeks ago. A young couple which seemed to be quite fit were sitting on the curb with a sign " we need a little help". It occurred to me they could go inside, sit at the computer and probably be working the warehouse that night.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter

They are only there because enough people do give them something. I don't blame the panhandlers, I blame the people that support them.

People usually do it for one of two reasons. Either they are stupid and naive enough to believe the are actually doing someone some good, or they have guilty consciences for something they have done in the past and this somehow makes them feel better about themselves. Either way, there is enough people out there that fall into those categories to make it worth the panhandlers while.

They have signs that say don't feed the bears, maybe they need one for panhandlers as well.

That simply is not true,I have met and helped people that were truly down on there luck,I agree there are some that just bum because they can and sometimes it is hard to tell the difference,but to say that no one needs help is crazy.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
I was in one of the dozens of Wal Marts in Springfield MO a couple of weeks ago. A young couple which seemed to be quite fit were sitting on the curb with a sign " we need a little help". It occurred to me they could go inside, sit at the computer and probably be working the warehouse that night.

Maybe they could get a WalMart job and maybe they did,but it is hard not to eat for 2 weeks while waiting on a pay check.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
in va bch offered to share my lunch one day and they though i had just insult them
next going over the over pass on shore drive , was up high in my western star
they were just getting out of there cars and putting on there work cloths
and they were driving better cars then most people
now i just call cop's in newport news , va they can't begg on street or in public

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
in va bch offered to share my lunch one day and they though i had just insult them
next going over the over pass on shore drive , was up high in my western star
they were just getting out of there cars and putting on there work cloths
and they were driving better cars then most people
now i just call cop's in newport news , va they can't begg on street or in public

Yes there are fakes out there.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Just walked in to a Lowe's here in Michigan. A guy walking out of the exit door asked if I could spare a dollar.
Now, I understand people's needs for "a dollar" can vary.
But why would one walk into Lowe's if they were going to walk out asking a guy in cargo shorts, a HOB t-shirt and flip-flops for a dollar?!?!

Do you think he's panhandling inside of Lowe's?
Wouldn't that be a stretch?

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Just walked in to a Lowe's here in Michigan. A guy walking out of the exit door asked if I could spare a dollar.
Now, I understand people's needs for "a dollar" can vary.
But why would one walk into Lowe's if they were going to walk out asking a guy in cargo shorts, a HOB t-shirt and flip-flops for a dollar?!?!

Do you think he's panhandling inside of Lowe's?
Wouldn't that be a stretch?

Ya never answered. Could ya spare a dollar? Yes or No :rolleyes:

cubansammich

Not a Member
I judge on a case by case basis. If I have a buck or two, some gas or food and believe I am helping someone I will. If they have made a fool of me I can live with that. I sleep better when I have helped someone.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter

Had I never been broke in my life I might concur. I hope you never fall on hard times. Karma is a mofo...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I avoid giving any of my limited funds to what may likely be scam artists. I prefer to give my charity funds to legitimate charities. Charities that are free of government, the United Way etc. Charities that depend on real people to do real work. One of my favorite HUMAN charities linked below.

Penrickton Center for Blind Children

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Had I never been broke in my life I might concur. I hope you never fall on hard times. Karma is a mofo...

I have been broke, out of work, with a wife and kid. I never begged. I never robbed or stole. It can be done. It takes effort, sacrifice and character. Qualities that seem to be lacking in many.

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Panhandlers get tax free money. That in itself is a reason not to give.

At least with a reg charity you get a tax receipt.
( some reg charities are no better than panhandlers either judging by what percentage goes to administration vs what goes to actually helping people).