Ordered new Sprinter

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Terry - A fully loaded expediter conversion package on a 2008 Sprinter will carry a price tag of around $50,000. The dealers I negotiated with came in between $49,000 and $46,000.

That's why I built my own sleeper. I paid $40k for the van and did the rest myself. Those conversion packages are just too expensive for me to justify, but to each his own.

As to the mileage, I get 20 in my '07 if I keep the speed under 70.

This business is just so individualized. If you find a vehicle that meets your needs and you're making enough of a profit to live the life you want, then that's what counts. The Sprinter is a great van, but it's not for everybody.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Agreed, the pre 2007 engines get 20-21 mpg, but not the V-6. I am fully aware of the mileage on pre 2007 Sprinters.
You might be a little low on your fuel mileages there David. Of course it will vary by driver ...

You've just had two people (geo and Charles) that own and drive post '06 Sprinters, state that they are getting 20 or better (up to 25 in geo's case) - so are they just making this up ?

Charles: Ever try driving it at 55 and see what you would get ?

And as far as '06 and earlier, I have consistently gotten 24 to 26 mpg on my '06 long and tall Sprinter 2500 - even loaded. And I've hit over 27 a few times. But I do drive fairly conservatively (55 to 63 mph and light on the pedal) I think OVM has mentioned he is seeing similar numbers.

I have a friend with the same year and model - awhile back we were discussing strategies to keep down costs and one of them was driving slower when you have the time on the load.

He called me the other day and said "You ain't gonna believe this .... I just hit 29 mpg on this load .... I drove it all the way at 50 mph." (Obviously, not always practical to do this ....)

Of course, that's all a bit moot at this point because you can't get the L5 in the Sprinter anymore. I would agree that it probably wasn't real smart on Chrysler's part to go with an engine that got worse fuel mileage.

Like Charles said, you can roll your own on the conversion package and save considerable. Some folks won't want to do that and will spend the $10K on the expediter conversion package. All I can say is they are willing to dig a little deeper into their pockets than I would be, considering what you get for that $10K.

I built my "conversion package" (sleeper bunk and desk in place of passenger seat) from 3/4" cabinet grade oak plywood I got at Carter Lumber for less than $100. I took them a cut list based on my design with all the cuts laid out for them to do when I bought the wood - all I had to do was assemble and install it (and apply the 4 coats of polyurethane. :D)

I certainly have less than $750 in the bunk/desk setup (including a $265 custom-made mattress) and probably less than $500. But then I saved enough by doing it myself that I could afford some other stuff that I wanted to make life on the road a little more bearable.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
I agree totally.

I am only making baseline comparasions.

Of course, there will always be exceptions....that prove the rule.

The majority of drivers I have spoken with personally put their 2007 or 2008 V-6 at 19-20mpg. I know from experience that there will always be folks who operate the truck in such a manner as to exceed the median range.

For instance, I got 19mpg out of the 2008 Express 3500, but most drivers do not. Why? Simple, different driving habits.

And the sleeper...I built mine too.

My desire is not to contend with those who exceed the nominal parameters of this craft.

I only seek to offer info to the guy or gal who is about to sign for a brand new, fully loaded, expediter truck. Why? Because many folks do not have the tools, the time or the skills to set up their own truck. That is why aftermarket businesses are in business.

OVM, Rlent, Turtle, CharlesD and few others have chosen to invest sweat equity into their businesses. I salute you all.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My comments were merely to point out that the fuel economy of the GM van markedly improved in 2008 and the V-6 engine in the Sprinter decreased its fuel economy.

David, what did GM do to make such a dramatic improvement in fuel economy for 2008? My experience with a 1998, 5.8L and a 2004, 6.0L have been low 16's for m.p.g.

I idle very little. Occasionally in the winter to stay warm while waiting for freight at a shipper. Otherwise I have my heater on or I'm in bed. Rarely in the summer, unless I absolutely, positively need a few hours of sleep and must run the a.c.

Until recently I would set the cruise at 67 m.p.h. Now I am running at 65.

Are you are basing your fuel mileage from your former van and its onboard computer readout? I believe these to show inflated numbers. I have a ScanGauge that plugs into the onboard computer. It consistently shows higher m.p.g. numbers compared to my fill to fill method. Despite what some may think, the fill to fill method is very accurate. Especially averaged over 11 years.

The Areocell looks very aerodynamic but its extra height, weight and dual wheels will slightly decrease fuel mileage as compared to a standard G.M. van.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
another anomoly

I'm another anomolous 07 Sprinter driver. My mileage has dropped to 19 mpg. The reason I'm getting such average results is because I added 500+ lbs of gear to the roof of my unit (apu+ac, but that's another story). All the extra wind drag permanently removed a minimum of 2 mpg from my numbers. The average driver isn't wasting so much to extravagance.

eb

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
let me throw this wrench to the mileage question.

yesterday i spoke to a tri state chev van driver. he had a honda gen welded on a frame to the front, and a/c thru the back door, two cabinets, invertor and 1500 watt heater, mw, toaster and cooler(or was it a micro fridge??) and a dmax and he gets 23 mpg at 60 mpg. he said can haul over 3000 lbs.

mileage once again is at 60 mph. even a sprinter suffers over 60.

sprinter conversion package is $10k over the base price of a new sprinter. so we are talking 55K for a midway/sprint/expediter. still lots of money on the table along with the interest.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
sprinter conversion package is $10k over the base price of a new sprinter. so we are talking 55K for a midway/sprint/expediter. still lots of money on the table along with the interest.

I'd like to see the numbers on how many people who have Sprinters went with the expensive conversion packages. I've met a lot of folks around the country and I've only seen one so far.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
let me throw this wrench to the mileage question.

yesterday i spoke to a tri state chev van driver. he had a honda gen welded on a frame to the front, and a/c thru the back door, two cabinets, invertor and 1500 watt heater, mw, toaster and cooler(or was it a micro fridge??) and a dmax and he gets 23 mpg at 60 mpg. he said can haul over 3000 lbs.

OK? This is cutting it close, like the van owner who told me he can haul 4000lbs with his box van...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Those accessories come up to 200 lbs approx. and then there's the personal belongings...I'll assume it was the extended van?
I'd say the 3,000 is do-able..But Terry is the GM man...he''d know for sure...

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I had to squeeze ounces to make 2500 lbs, that is why I am asking, I don't believe you can do 3000 with a generator, MW, cabinets and so on out of a Duramax chassis.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I had to squeeze ounces to make 2500 lbs, that is why I am asking, I don't believe you can do 3000 with a generator, MW, cabinets and so on out of a Duramax chassis.

The Honda Gen is 42 lbs + the A/C and then theres gas for the gen...I don't think so either...not legally....

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That is very true. You can save 1900 over the life of a sprinter van but the sprinter van will also cost 20 thousand more than a cargo van. If you want to really make money in a cargo van as well as be more versatile. You can just by a used chevy G3500 cargo van with a 5,7 liter engine that gets 16 to 17 miles per gallon and have a box put on the back of it for 4500. If you can find a decent used van for around 7500 bucks and then have a box put on it, you can be just like a sprinter. Plus a box truck is wider than a sprinter which will in turn make you more versatile.

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
There are alot of good ideas and informattion that have been shared here. That is what makes EO a valuable site.

I chose the 170" extended Sprinter for a number of reasons.
A]Length of gargo area. [185"]
B]Height.
C]Fuel usage. [19-21 MPG]
D]No Logging [Do not haul Hazmat].
E]Rear Doors. [Barn doors]
F]Easier to build sleeper. [Because of Shape]
G]Have two E350's one is a 4x4 [Want something that can haul longer loads]
H]Selling Straight Truck. [Tired of logging and sets outside when not in use]
I]The freight I haul mostly is long or tall and not very heavy.
J]Can Park inside warehouse.
K]Resale. [They seem to hold value better]

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
yep....everyone has thier reasons...for what they purchase, just like we all don't marry the same type of person...:)