Ordered new Sprinter

ACE

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I want to thank everyone who has posted both bad and good things about the Sprinter.
This helped me to decide to order a Sprinter.
Once it arrives and I have time to drive it I will be adding my opinion in hopes that it may help someone else to decide oneway or another.

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
I want to thank everyone who has posted both bad and good things about the Sprinter.
This helped me to decide to order a Sprinter.
Once it arrives and I have time to drive it I will be adding my opinion in hopes that it may help someone else to decide oneway or another.

Good luck with that. I hope you plan on spending more on it than a cargo van to operate. That said, I do like my Sprinter.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
That's true. It does cost more to operate a Sprinter, but I like to think that there's more revenue potential than in a regular cargo van. I get quite a few loads that never would fit in a smaller van. You get enough of those and you can offset the higher costs.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Is it also true that sprinters get such better mileage that it more than makes up for the higher price and costs?

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
Yes, I get many loads that will not fit in a van also, and I think my first post sound a little negative, I did not mean it to. I am glad I have a Sprinter.

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
Is it also true that sprinters get such better mileage that it more than makes up for the higher price and costs?

I don't know about that as I am not sure what vans get, and their fuel is cheaper. I get a little over 20 when I am running. My aux battery just alarmed out, and I am now idling to recharge it. Laptops burn major amounts of power for some reason.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Or if you change to a new line of work you still have the foundation for a very nice RV.

DC, as for your laptop's appetite I bet it is more the inverter or power adapter that is sucking up the juice.

eb

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
A 22 mpg Sprinter operator traveling 400,000 miles at todays avg diesel price of $4.72 will spend $85,818.

A 15 mpg Chev/Ford/GMC operator traveling 400,000 miles at todays gasoline price of $3.93 will spend $104.800.

That $19,000 fuel savings is worth thnking about

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
A 22 mpg Sprinter operator traveling 400,000 miles at todays avg diesel price of $4.72 will spend $85,818.

A 15 mpg Chev/Ford/GMC operator traveling 400,000 miles at todays gasoline price of $3.93 will spend $104.800.

That $19,000 fuel savings is worth thnking about

so Terry..whats a 1T extended GM van go for down here???

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Terry,

Based upon DCalien's report of 20 mpg and those Sprinter owner's I have spoken with that have the V-6 diesel, 19-20 mpg is the current average. Yes, the previous engines got a little better mileage, but let's compare apples to apples.

Calculate on 20mpg for the 2008 Sprinter and 19mpg for the 2008 Chevrolet Express 3500 that I just sold. (The new owner will verify the 19mpg too).

Now consider that the 2008 GM van costs $29,000 with every option but a trailer hitch and the 2008 Sprinter with fewer options runs about $39,000.

Factor in the higher maintenance costs for the Sprinter and the numbers still favor the GM van based upon economics.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
But, But, But david....a sprinter for us vets is a luxury...like you and your new outfit....to stand up and put your pants on....no man should have to be putting their pants on on their knees...

We did our pennace in a tuna can....just to reap the benefits of our hard work.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
But, But, But david....a sprinter for us vets is a luxury...like you and your new outfit....to stand up and put your pants on....no man should have to be putting their pants on on their knees...

We did our pennace in a tuna can....just to reap the benefits of our hard work.

Yep, I did a year in a Ford. I don't think I could ever go back to a short van again.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep, I did a year in a Ford. I don't think I could ever go back to a short van again.

Sometimes it's NOT all about the money....

If it were all about the money...we wouldn't have these condo-on-wheels going down the road...we'd still be in coffin bunks.

Sometimes being practical is just not practical....make sense??:D

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Yes, I totally agree that we trade one thing for another.

Increased comfort, but less fuel economy.

Increased capacity, but more buffeting by crosswinds.

My comments were merely to point out that the fuel economy of the GM van markedly improved in 2008 and the V-6 engine in the Sprinter decreased its fuel economy. This info is to help folks make their decision as to which van meets their personal needs, or what their budget will permit.

PS. If I were to put a tv, fridge, microwave and inverter in my new truck, it would have the same immenities as the Sprinter with a conversion package, but the Sprinter would cost me $16,000-19,000 more. That is a huge consideration.

As I have always said, I almost bought a Sprinter. It has great features and benefits for our craft. I just went a different route in my search for a markedly less expensive unit that fulfilled my needs.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, I totally agree that we trade one thing for another.

Increased comfort, but less fuel economy.

Increased capacity, but more buffeting by crosswinds.

My comments were merely to point out that the fuel economy of the GM van markedly improved in 2008 and the V-6 engine in the Sprinter decreased its fuel economy. This info is to help folks make their decision as to which van meets their personal needs, or what their budget will permit.

PS. If I were to put a tv, fridge, microwave and inverter in my new truck, it would have the same immenities as the Sprinter with a conversion package, but the Sprinter would cost me $16,000-19,000 more. That is a huge consideration.

As I have always said, I almost bought a Sprinter. It has great features and benefits for our craft. I just went a different route in my search for a markedly less expensive unit that fulfilled my needs.

I do believe there was a mandate for vans and such to hit 20 mpg's...

Agreed, David...just look at all the different configuration of vans we;ve seen over the years...all to suit the individual.
You made the best choice for you...Congrats.
Thats said..now go make some money and pay for it!!!*L*

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
David:

I wasn't trying to challenge any figures, I was offhandedly suggesting the Sprinter that ACE recently bought was a wise purchase based solely on the potential fuel cost savings. I don't argue which is best because to each his own; I prefer the Chevy/GMC.

I used the 15 mpg on a gas fueled van because that's been about the average mentioned by numerous GMC van owners in the forum and it also has been the average touted in the past by GMC. I won't doubt you had a 19 mpg Express but that's an anomaly. I've had two and I had to work at getting almost 18.

While we're comparing apples to apples, please explain how a tv, fridge, microwave and inverter in your new truck would be $16,000 - $19,000 less than a conversion pakage in a Sprinter. That's seems like apples and oranges to me.

DAN

Seasoned Expediter
19 mile per gallon ,only if you drive 50-55 all time,I drove Chevy,Ford(350 diesel-6.0 engine, the worst van I ever had) and if I got 16 mile per gallon, I was very happy.Now for the last 2 years I drive a Sprinter and if I get under 21mile per gallon I am not to happy.I thing that the Sprinter is the best choice for the expedite industry.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i love my sprinter, here at ceva used to egl
a couple of time van was in shop and they gave me a ford e250 to
drive cared half of what a sprinter could hold
only 2 pallet's instead of the 41/2, and no rollers had to work twice as hard to make any money and mileages was bad
with my sprinter getting 21.4 all the time
and have gotten as high as 25 mpg
but wind was right, and watched my foot and used cruised to
so sprinter more than makes up for it

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Not all Sprinters have the expensive conversion package. There are some really nice sleeper packages out there, but I chose to save the money and do it myself. I bought all the materials from Home Depot and spent a few hours one day building my sleeper. I now have a sturdy bulkhead wall with a bed, storage under the bed, a nightstand, and a cabinet big enough to hold my clothes, DVD player, playstation, (hardly gets used anymore) and printer. I did all that for under $300. Not too many custom packages for under $300. I have a comfortable sleeper that didn't cost me an arm and a leg.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Agreed, the pre 2007 engines get 20-21 mpg, but not the V-6.

I am fully aware of the mileage on pre 2007 Sprinters.

I fully understand that it is just our nature to champion that which we own. As I have said, many, many, many times before...I was within 24 hours of signing for a new 2008 Sprinter. I know it gets great mileage. I got 21mpg with my Duramax too, but it's maintenance costs are higher than the 6.0L and with diesel running as much as $1.00 more per gallon than gasoline...the math steered me away from the Duramax on vans 2 and 3.

My post is ONLY applicable to a 2008 GM 6.0L / Sprinter V-6 comparison.

Terry - A fully loaded expediter conversion package on a 2008 Sprinter will carry a price tag of around $50,000. The dealers I negotiated with came in between $49,000 and $46,000.