Ok the Nissan delivery trucks are rolling out

idtrans

Expert Expediter
I delivered to Nissan today in Canton, MS and saw the van trucks all over the place mainly in white. ok I looked at one and it is very tall but to darn short only for like maybe 3 skids but I am 6'3" and I can stand up in the back they wouldnt let me take any pics.

They should have made these like 4 feet longer and they would sell like crazy then. and add highbrid to the picture and sell out. LOL

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The dealer in Houston has had one tall roof and one short roof, both in white, sitting on the lot for at least 2 days now.

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
Saw one go by me on the back of a car carrier. High roof. Looked pretty good to me, better than the pictures I had seen.

fired at you from my Droideka

idtrans

Expert Expediter
they are very nice looking but nissan made a huge design error the units do not have a long wheel base model. and that will kill them in the expediting industry IMHO. but i am sure we will see guys buying these to use.

guido4475

Not a Member
they are very nice looking but nissan made a huge design error the units do not have a long wheel base model. and that will kill them in the expediting industry IMHO. but i am sure we will see guys buying these to use.

I could never understand why someone would buy a short wheelbase van for the expediting industry to begin with.Makes no sense, when space is the name of the game.But, yes, I see them out there all over, even a Ford E-150 short wheelbase.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
Regarding "Short Wheel Base"
How many recruiters do you think say to a prospective Expediter "what type of truck will you be driving?. We recommend long wheel based Vans. Or this type of straight truck or Tractor"

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
We drove to Nashville and looked at the high top 2500 at Action Nissan. While the drivers area is great. It would be tough to get two skids in and have any room left. With the back doors closed the 120" cargo length shrank to about 110". With two skids the seats would amost be straight up. There just isn't much room to move in this unit. If you are a solo and can sleep on the freight, maybe it would work with two skids. As a team the non driver would have to sleep in the front seat. Its a nice seat but I don't think I want to sleep in it all the time. Lots of leg room if you are tall. And the engine is easy to work on cuz its up front under the hood with no dog house. The Manufactors rep told us that the long wheel base extended version would be out in 18 months. He said it might be better for expediting.

usaf6186

Veteran Expediter
We drove to Nashville and looked at the high top 2500 at Action Nissan. While the drivers area is great. It would be tough to get two skids in and have any room left. With the back doors closed the 120" cargo length shrank to about 110". With two skids the seats would amost be straight up. There just isn't much room to move in this unit. If you are a solo and can sleep on the freight, maybe it would work with two skids. As a team the non driver would have to sleep in the front seat. Its a nice seat but I don't think I want to sleep in it all the time. Lots of leg room if you are tall. And the engine is easy to work on cuz its up front under the hood with no dog house. The Manufactors rep told us that the long wheel base extended version would be out in 18 months. He said it might be better for expediting.

Did you see what the GVW rating was on the door? Jerry Lee

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I bet their marketing department has a few tricks up their sleeve yet. Nissan wont make a bad unit or a unit that wont sell well. The intro of this new van well sell well for many marketing areas, we in expediting are just a blimp on their radar at the moment. It will be worth the wait for the extended unit. With a lack lust economy and slow freight, no hurry here on my part. I own a one ton cv extended, and rarely am i to capacity, avg load around 300 lbs, one skid 99 pct of the time, maybe 2200lbs everyonce in awhile. Two skids is rare for me overall.:D

zero3nine

Veteran Expediter
I bet their marketing department has a few tricks up their sleeve yet. Nissan wont make a bad unit or a unit that wont sell well. The intro of this new van well sell well for many marketing areas, we in expediting are just a blimp on their radar at the moment. It will be worth the wait for the extended unit. With a lack lust economy and slow freight, no hurry here on my part. I own a one ton cv extended, and rarely am i to capacity, avg load around 300 lbs, one skid 99 pct of the time, maybe 2200lbs everyonce in awhile. Two skids is rare for me overall.:D

I'm with you there. I usually roll with a single pallet or a bunch of loose cartons or a single machine part. Plenty of room to leave my bunk folded out in the standard length E350.

fired at you from my Droideka

greg334

Veteran Expediter
we in expediting are just a blimp on their radar at the moment.

At the moment?

seriously?

Try forever.

If you ever get a chance to talk to some Ford or GM marketing exec and ask them why they don't market their vans to expediters, you may find this response - what's that?

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
At the moment?

seriously?

Try forever.

If you ever get a chance to talk to some Ford or GM marketing exec and ask them why they don't market their vans to expediters, you may find this response - what's that?

Exactly. To state that Nissan "missed the mark" on what is probably less than 1% of their target market is crazy. It'll do just fine.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
At the moment?

seriously?

Try forever.

i don't know about that. lynch truck in waterford wi showed me a chevy van in the "expediter package". included insulated walls, and e-trak on the floor. more specifics i don't remember. it was a couple 3 years back.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I could never understand why someone would buy a short wheelbase van for the expediting industry to begin with.Makes no sense, when space is the name of the game.
Don't you own a Ford? Is it possible you are confusing wheelbase length with box dimensions?

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
had a chance to look at new nissan van
look's nice
driver's seat lay out of dash good set up and passager seat fold done and able to use as more office space and glove compartment between seat's really good
1/2" taller than sprinter
2 pallet spaces shorter

kubusio

Active Expediter
had a chance to look at new nissan van
look's nice
driver's seat lay out of dash good set up and passager seat fold done and able to use as more office space and glove compartment between seat's really good
1/2" taller than sprinter
2 pallet spaces shorter

And thats where Nissan F...ed up. These things would sell like hot cakes if they added few more feet. Besically its a residential construction van and we all know that went down the drain few years back. Large construction companies will buy GM or Ford and I dont see a reason for an expeditior to purchase the Nissan if you can only fit 2 skids. They also didnt do anything interesting with their engines. Why wouldnt they make a diesel option?

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
And thats where Nissan F...ed up. These things would sell like hot cakes if they added few more feet. Besically its a residential construction van and we all know that went down the drain few years back. Large construction companies will buy GM or Ford and I dont see a reason for an expeditior to purchase the Nissan if you can only fit 2 skids. They also didnt do anything interesting with their engines. Why wouldnt they make a diesel option?

How much of a market are they losing by not building an extended version? Do you really think expedited vans account for many sales overall?

kubusio

Active Expediter
How much of a market are they losing by not building an extended version? Do you really think expedited vans account for many sales overall?

More than we think and not only. Its only 10' from seats to the back door. Even a contractor will think twice before he buys it to see if he can fit 12' lumber into it. A siding guy will not be able to fit his aluminum brake in the back of it. they should of added at least 2 more feet. I just think they limited themselfs to a very small market. Electricians, plumbers, cleaners, and bakeries. Just my 2cents

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I dunno but it seems the vast majority of cargo vans are regular length. I guess we'll see.