Not to offend Big Cats but...

ihamner

Expert Expediter
I would never deliberately offend anyone but I'm curious. Do the Panther elite drivers have company shirts? I'm trying to figure out this situation. We were picking up on a base and a Panther Elite "D" truck was right in front of us. The couple had on tee shirts - no indication they represented any company. When they pulled away from the loading area (loaded with explosives) their placards were attached with bungy chords! Also their tool box was attached with chains!!! Just curious - does this sound like an "Elite" truck to you???

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
not being allowed to discuse elite services i can say panther will not give out much of any clothing that has a panther logo o it. and only give out hats the first part of the year if you manage to be in seville. something about a law suit they lost and you being an employ if your wearing a "uniform"

note to self try getting back pay from the cubies and bears

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Uniforms don't classify one as an employee, necessarily.
And marketing an "Elite" service doesn't make it so, either - if the truck India saw was more than a rare misfit, the customers will catch on, no doubt.

ihamner

Expert Expediter
I guess my main concern was not so much the lack of dress code as the condition of the truck. Items attached with chains and bungy chords just doesn't seem very professional or safe.

romoore245

Expert Expediter
I see the problem with the cords ans chains but what is wrong with tee shirts. We wear tee shirts all the time.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You can't force independent contractors to wear a uniform. That is in direct violation of IRS rules with regards to determining status. Not the only item, but is listed as one of them.
If a contractor wants to wear Panther logo'd shirts or jackets, they can be had at this link. Garment Specialties appearl catalog

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Maybe it was one of those customers that Greg was talking about in another thread, they did not want any fancy trucks showing up. Or maybe they were just trying to blend in with the FedEx trucks.

bernieh48

Veteran Expediter
Well first off I see 2 different points here.
First one being I can understand your concern about the safety of what the truck looked like. I'm sure if the customer had a problem with it though they would have said something to Panther about it.

On the shirts issue with the Elite division. Those wishing to get some can purchase them online.

Last edited:

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Not necessarily about having an issue; but rather the price. I know if I were paying for Elite, and a band-aid truck pulled up, I'd be wondering exactly what it is I'm paying for.

jwc

Seasoned Expediter
hey since i'e been in elite services iv'e seen a lot of fed ex and landstar trucks not looking to hot eather seen a fed ex the outher day that i wouldn't have used thier steer tires as trailer back ups i think its true across the board not just the cats

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Dave,
I think there would be an exception to that IRS rule because the Elite services is an optional program, not a requirement to be a contractor so uniforms are one area that is part of the whole package because you are representing the company as the best it has to offer.

AND I too would be concern about the way that some things are done.

Placards held on with Bungees?

Interesting to say the least.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Was it really an elite truck? Can't non-elite trucks haul a/e loads? If it was an Elite truck, it would have the added Elite logo on the side, much like White Glove trucks do.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have hauled chartered air freight shipments through Panther Elite Services in my lowly cargo van.

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
i bought myself a few black polo type shirts.... at walmart.....to wear when im doing loads....
but im having a hell of a time trying to find out where i can get the panther logo for them.