no idle states

jsbiker

Seasoned Expediter
anyone have a handle on the laws to idling in the different states and Canada?

And what are you doing about it?

it looks like the cost of the units are high and payback for using them is going be long term.

Thank you

jsbiker

Seasoned Expediter
ok sorry
I was told by a dot buddy :eek: that states are going to start giving out fines for truckers that let trucks idle for over XX hrs.
and are looking for power units on all trucks with Sleepers so that the truck motors is not run at truck stops and rest areas.

i was dold that 22 states have the law in place at this time. but have not used it yet.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
From what I understand if you have a pet in the truck you can idle. So, best thing would be to go to a shelter and give a poor dog or cat a home. We have two small babies in our truck, a 6 pd shiitzu (extra small for a shiitzu) and a little 5 pd yorkie.

A dog or cat is also great company and give un-conditional love. :p

Had to spell it shiitzu as the forum seems to think it is a different word when spelled correctly! lol

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
As of Jan 1 this year you can no longer use the Pet as a reason to idle in Cal. The Cal law says if you have a pet you must have an outside house and tie the critter out side of the truck you also must put food and water out with them

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
As of Jan 1 this year you can no longer use the Pet as a reason to idle in Cal. The Cal law says if you have a pet you must have an outside house and tie the critter out side of the truck you also must put food and water out with them

WHAT! You have to be kidding? Why I wouldn't put my babies outside at home moreless a truck stop. And in 100 degree plus weather? Why, their little brains would fry! Where did you hear this? Oh my, now I'm really upset! :eek:

RoadDawgg

Expert Expediter
And exactly how do these geniuses expect drivers to sleep on a nice 100 degree sunny day? And do they know what happens when a driver doesn't get their sleep?

Good God, legislators are incompetent. Well, I suppose we already knew that, but still....

Christopher

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
They expect the truck to equipped with an APU. When I bought my straight truck 2 years ago, it wasn't even a consideration that I wouldn't have one.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Having an APU makes sense to a point. Mine, at least, does not. It does not pay for itself do to allllll the repairs that are needed to keep it up and running. The engine is good, the heat ok and the AC part sucks. The belt drive system is poorly designed too. I have a ProHeat. It also may or MAY NOT be legal in Cal. I can't make sense of thier law. It is confusing to my pea brain. Maybe I need some "Bail Out" money to get a new one. One that works, does not break a lot and is legal in Cal. layoutshooter

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Layout,
Here is a cure, pitch the APU and get a generator and a separate A/C unit. If the problem with CARB is really a problem, get a 40 gallon tank put on the truck, use gas and no more CARB issues - they only care about diesel units.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I just may look into that next year. I can't do anything this year. It may take all this year to make up for the "hurricane mess" from last year. That is a very good idea though. For the most part the gasoline generators seem to run quieter thier diesel counter-parts too. Layoutshooter

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
Layout,
Here is a cure, pitch the APU and get a generator and a separate A/C unit. If the problem with CARB is really a problem, get a 40 gallon tank put on the truck, use gas and no more CARB issues - they only care about diesel units.

Don't know about a 40 gallon tank gasoline tank. From my understanding, if you have a gasoline tank over a certain size, you have to follow certain rules. Not sure if its hazmat or something else. A friend who had this done was telling me about it, so he had a small tank installed instead. I'll find out the details from him and post it here.

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
They expect the truck to equipped with an APU. When I bought my straight truck 2 years ago, it wasn't even a consideration that I wouldn't have one.

yes a piece of equipment that for newer trucks is not only unable to make it compliant to the standards but that the engineers are not even sure if they ever will be able to.

So yea i think that deserves a what the hell are they thinking

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
We are having to idle, again. Our generator died, again. It is such an annoyance. The next new trucks that our owner gets are going to have solar panels and gel batteries. He says the problems with the generators on his trucks gives him such a headache. Me too!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Let me know how that solar thing works. It seems to me that it will take an awful lot of batteries and panels to keep the AC and everything else running for an entire weekend.

Ok mjolnir131, sounds like you made the choice I would have made on that run. I say a truck that looked like yours pull into the "TA" I am at in CT. Just was wondering if it was you, guess not. Layoutshooter

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
Let me know how that solar thing works. It seems to me that it will take an awful lot of batteries and panels to keep the AC and everything else running for an entire weekend.

Ok mjolnir131, sounds like you made the choice I would have made on that run. I say a truck that looked like yours pull into the "TA" I am at in CT. Just was wondering if it was you, guess not. Layoutshooter

Well, from my understanding, with the gel batteries, we suppose to have 12-14 hours of juice to run the air conditioner, depending on how frequent it actually turns on. The new trucks that we will be getting, the sleepers will be better insulated, to help keep it cooler and warmer, which ever is needed at the time. And I'm told, they are planning to put solar panels on top the 22' box from the front to the back. So, I'm guessing it will charge the batteries during the day as we are using it and still have enough juice for the night.

But, here comes my logic. During the winter months, when it snows, everybody knows how the snow builds up on top. If the now is covering the solar panels, how is it suppose to get sunlight? I keep asking that, especially the one who is supposedly come up with this plan, can not or will not give me a straight answer.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter

That's what I'm wondering about too. I don't know all the in's and outs and if's, and's or but's about the whole set up and how it works. I'm just hoping it's more reliable than our stupid generator! lol