no idle states

greg334

Veteran Expediter
if it is eating belts, it is an alignment problem, may not be an issue with the alignment between the units but it could be one of those things where one of the units are just off center line.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
That may be but not one can find it. They seem to always check the pulley alignment and that is it. I don't know how to check alignment of the units. This thing has been into several Carrier service centers and NONE have been able to make it work right. Layoutshooter

greg334

Veteran Expediter
If I remember right the alignment may not be an easy thing to figure out. when I looked at one a couple years ago while my reefer was being fixed (I had all day to kill), I thought about the frame and how it sits on the truck. looking at it carefully (I had all the covers off of it) and seeing how things are mounted, it looks like if the unit is aligned off the truck, and then placed on the truck. When the unit is bolted down on the mounts (frame), the sub-units like the A/C pump and generator may be moved just so slightly off center where they will tear up a belt.

Make sense?

I know another type, I forget the name, seems to have a metal welded frame that is attached to the truck frame and the three I seen being serviced were actually twisted so slightly.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
Ours apparently has some kind of electrical problem. When it quits it flashes the error code for that. Last time it was worked on, they just replaced a capacitor with one from another APU (I got the right name for it now! :D ) and it worked for several days and quit again, with the same error code.

We reset it, start it up again and it will run for a minute or two and then quit. Sometimes when we reset it and start it up again it will run for up to 10 minutes before it quits. When it quits it's always followed by the same error code. Hopefully when we get it worked on this next time they will actually be able to find and fix the problem. Otherwise I may just think about that big hammer and pry bar, though I think the owner may object! lol :D

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
That may be but not one can find it. They seem to always check the pulley alignment and that is it. I don't know how to check alignment of the units. This thing has been into several Carrier service centers and NONE have been able to make it work right. Layoutshooter

Just like all mechanics now days. They go thru some classes and they are mechanics. They only know what they are taught in class. Don't know how to use common sense and try to solve a problem. If the book didn't tell them how to solve a problem, they don't know how, simple as that. Its not like back in the days, you tell someone what the problem is, they have an ideal what may be the problem, look at it, and say "oh here is your problem".

Those days are way gone unfortunately. You might find one or two good mechanics now days, but they are a dying breed.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I can picture what you mean, I don't know if I can picure it in real life. Speaking of belts. It has been about 500 hours. Time for a change soon. I also have been looking at gas generators on-line. Some advertise that they are CARB compliant and are legal for sale in CA. I wonder if I buy one that is NOT legal for sale in CA if I can use it there? If so, why is it different for diesel, other than CA hates diesel? Layoutshooter

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
I suggest no one supports any deliverys for CA? After their food and merchandise runs out, they might change their mind. :)