Nice to read something positive

broker

Seasoned Expediter
Hubby took me to the world largest truck stop yesterday in Iowa.
My third visit here and I just love the place.
I picked up the November 2008 issue of Trucking 2000, mainly because on the cover was a couple that were leased with an Expediting company. I was interested in hearing their story about the business.
This was the medicine I needed. All I have been reading on here has been the doom and gloom theme.
I encourage anyone who needs a little positive shot in the arm, about starting a new career in Expediting, to pick up a copy.

On another note, had a real shock.
This place has a dentist. I would call him something else but that woukld not be fair, as he could not defend himself.
$170 to clean your teeth, IF THEY DO NOT HAVE MUCH BUILD-UP! Are you kidding me?
Guess he thinks like the airports, where else you going to go? No competition.
Kathy

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think you see a little more of it because of the slumping auto sales. Companies that were heavily reliant on this industry are quickly having to reinvent themselves. That affects the vans much more than the other types of vehicles. That is why you are starting to see rate adjustments. I certainly think only some parts are getting really pinched. Others probably not as much.
Our FSC has come down slightly, but so has the fuel prices.
Outside of that, no huge changes.
And......170 for teeth cleaning? Thats a racket.

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
I don't come to EO as often as I used to because I will be thinking I am doing all right, then when I read here I get suicidal.:eek:

Ok not really, but I would rather read positive, or funny posts than the doom and gloom I often read here.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I personally believe that there is a certain segment here that whines about the doom and gloom just to keep people from entering the business and just maybe taking what they feel they are due.

If i had listened to those people, i wouldn't be sittin in this "J" parking lot after dropping a load and making a nice pay day.

I the key is reading and seeing the trends in the post, some will whine, some will talks facts and some will blow smoke up your butt, its up to you to see what is what and make your descisions based on your needs, not those of someone whining about how bad it is!

I posted in another thread about closing one of my businesses, it just didn't work for me, i lost a bit of money, but I didn't whine about the industry, i cut my losses and moved on.

Now that all being said, yes it certainly is good to read about successes verses the whining and doom and gloom. LOL, yea I am a newbie, and I am sure I will take a hit in this businesses sooner or later, but at this point it is all good, and I am getting a few PM's from people looking at this business and forum thanking me for being positive and not whining. Its a good feeling!!

Last edited:

twinpopusa

Seasoned Expediter
170 bucks to clean yer teef??!! Isn't a toothbrush and some floss cheaper?? Jeez, the humanity!!! Life stinks!!! :D

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If some want to call it whining, fine. But the reality is that this is not a good time in trucking, be it the expedited segment or others. To tell noobs to "come on in, the water's fine" would be irresponsible. Some will still do well, some may even have a record year. That will be balanced with people that drop out and those that struggle through. Acknowledging reality isn't whining.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
An why, ya spose some struggle thru, and others drop out?? Let us read the sob stories.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
highway wrote:

But the reality is that this is not a good time in trucking, be it the expedited segment or others. To tell noobs to "come on in, the water's fine" would be irresponsible. Some will still do well, some may even have a record year. That will be balanced with people that drop out and those that struggle through. Acknowledging reality isn't whining.

Reality is not whining, you are right, but reality is different between you and me and the next person. when a newbie comes to this page and ask if he can make it in this business, the "pat" answer is most often, "don't do it, you won't make it, everyone os going broke.." That is not reality. Yea to say freight is slow and rates are down it SOME carriers are realities, but no one has the ability to tell anyone that they can't make it in any business.

As i said, i have had a few PMs, and even phone calls since I started posting here. I have never told anyone that this is a piece of cake and you will make money hand over fist. I've a guy that has 2 kids and a wife that doesn't work to do something else, but that was because We talked and i knew more then i'd have ever got from a handle pull of post. This week I told a single guy that is a TT driver now and is single that he can do this, again because I talked with them and knew more about his situtation.

So the reality is that nothing stays the same, its slow , but will recover, if a person sits themselves up to succeed, chances are they will, start out with little or no reserve and not having researched any business, chances are you won't make it....thats business, not just the expediting business.

As for some struggling through, and some not making it at all, and still yet others maintaining and some even thriving, to be totally honest, while i'd hate to see anyone crash and burn and lose everything they have, those things happen everyday in every business sector, no one wishs it upoj another, but its a fact of business , and i don't lose an hour of sleep worrying about it.

Plan, work smart and do what you have to do to suceed, chances are better then good that you will.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The reality I was talking about was the current economic conditions and how they relate to trucking. That's the same for us all. It certainly makes it tougher place for a newb to make a go of it, but not impossible. As an example, a newb could lease on with one of the carriers that has a reputation for low rates and do well enough to get by.

As far as the "pat answer"... We have people come on here and tell us a very little bit about themselves and then ask, "can I make it in this business?" It's only prudent to let them know that, for a variety of reasons, there are people that don't survive in this business, while some thrive. Not only just in the business, but even people within the same carrier. Like you have, I've had people PM me asking about the business. Usually, they say they chose me to PM because I don't appear to one of the "cheerleaders" for the business. I tell them that I don't want to urge them to go one way or another, it's their decision. If the "pat answer" isn't that this is a bed of roses, I see nothing wrong with that.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
I don't see anyone saying it is a "bed of roses", but i do see the doom and gloom on a regular basis. Yes we all will acknowledge that freight rates are down and freight is slow, but we each have different needs and we won't all drive for a carrier that has 500 vans. If a person just drove to a popular truck stop and seen 4-6 vans from the same carrier and a few other vans from other carriers, im pretty sure he could tell who isn't moving alot of freight after those same vans sat for 48 hrs.

I read here for months going back 2 yrs, i read the good, the bad and the ugly. But the basis to make good money if you set yourself upright for alot (not all) people.

I appreciate facts and hearing that it is hard to make it, but when i read strictly negative stuff, i tune it out, as i do with its all good also. But there is a middle ground and it can be found here if a person looks hard enough, but the negative by far out weights any positive, and that isn't the reality.

Slow and low? Yes. Everyone in the industry straving, not by any chance.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
That is refreshing Chef. There are many more "goals" than simply running hard for a couple days and going home, or, running to buy that next great toy, or running for....... that next material thing. Many jes don't tink of it as a career. It has to be instant in their mind. Having typed that, i'm tink'in that broker would be very happy with being at the iowa 80 frequently (the Taj), and (i'm assuming) be very comfortable in a 100" camper w all the goodies a 16ft box @ 150K and no capacity and no income. BUT, what'll happen if'n she drops in on the J at Gary, In, or, any of em at east Memphis, or, acouple hunnert more I could mention??? Now, we gots us a brand new ball game. Spose?? Look er over good there wannabes. It can be wunnerful and profitable, but, look er over, and make sure you are committed.

broker

Seasoned Expediter
A little refresher, I forget that not everyone has been following my Days of our Lives soap opera.
My hubby has 30+ years of T/T, O/O, cross country under his belt. He had been watching this Expediting business for over a year. We decided a couple months ago, this is for us.
Very soon we will be , as Willy sings, "On The Road Again".
We made a trip in the family car a few weeks ago, driving into 4 states. He stopped at the worst and some of the best truck stops, to show me what I was getting into.
He told me of the night he showered with bugs that came up out of the drain at one.
So, yes, I have seen the best and some of the worst.

Now, for the $170 teeth cleaning (without xrays even)
We went up to Cedar Rapids to a regular dentist in town for him. $60 and he says it was the best cleaning he had ever had.
I'm still learning and this (plus I couldn't find a GPS for less than $250) taught me another lesson. Don't buy anything at a truck stop, unless you have to.
See you all soon, at one of the better truck stops.
Broker
Kathy

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
As far as truck stops, it is just matter of whether one knows the good ones from the bad.
If they are bad, pick one that you like and works.
No need to complicate the simple.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
truck stops are for buying fuel.What else would you want to do there?I sleep in motels,for supper had a great mexican dinner at hildas,in channelview txs.This afternoon will be eating Cajun in Louisiana.Most drive to get ther loads off,I drive to see where i may get a good meal next

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
nightcreacher wrote:

Most drive to get ther loads off,I drive to see where i may get a good meal next

While i have a frig full of vacuum sealed homemade food most often, I have a weak spot for good BBQ!! I can't past a BBQ place, sometimes i eat it 3-4 times a day! My GPS as their locations flagged in my Favorites!! :D

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I got to do this.. LOL.

Why all the fuss about 100" sleepers and 16 foot boxes? IF your carrier can keep those busy, who cares? Not everyone needs a 30 ft box to keep busy.

Just sayin .... :cool:

Dale