New York City

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Going to NYC, deliver Monday morning...this is a first for us. Any tips, words of advice, must sees, etc? Also what's the best bet for a truck stop? I've been told it's best to go to a New Jersey truck stop! Thanks!

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Going to NYC, deliver Monday morning...this is a first for us. Any tips, words of advice, must sees, etc?

As previously stated by asjssl, deliver and get out. Do not go in the night before. Go in early in the morning, before rush hour, then deliver and get out.

Use the weekend to learn the rules and plan your route. Use online mapping programs to preview your delivery address ahead of time. Have a backup plan in case you cannot park as you intend.

The rules and truck routes are shown in this Free New York City Truck Route Map. Study this resource "cover to cover." You'll be glad you did.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Going to NYC, deliver Monday morning...this is a first for us. Any tips, words of advice, must sees, etc? Also what's the best bet for a truck stop? I've been told it's best to go to a New Jersey truck stop! Thanks!

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(

Get in and get out. There ARE places that are relatively safe AND LEGAL for overnight parking, but those are far and few between. IF you are with FDCC you can follow their routing. We have found it to be right in every case but one in 7 years. When in that area we go to the Petro in Bordentown, NJ.

Where in NYC?

guido4475

Not a Member
I'd go into Connecticut for a truckstop if it was me. Watch you're mirrors, especially when being passed by other trucks in the city.Their driving style is a sight to behold.A language barrier will also be evident. I used to be on a dedicated back in the day, Cleveland to NYC, 3 trips a week, for a year.Try and google earth the place you are going to, so you know in advance what to look for.Keep all valuables out of plain sight, and make sure every compartment, side box door, etc is locked.Keep you're phone on you at all times.And don't get frustrated if you pass up the place. It will take time to get to where you are going.Be patient.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
I always try to go in the Apple about 3am or so, the bar flys have gone, parking at delivery is more available, and, depending , you may be able to stay. Regardless, leaving and having to go back thru that mess for a load ain't too bright. If you have a presence of mind in the madness there to look for a parking spot (they do appear), and stay on the Island and place yourself in a close proximity for freight there. Your stay will provide other rewards also by being able to watch a whole nuther culture that you are prolly not acustomed to. Relax and enjoy.

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
We're going to Macy's department store on 34th street.
Ateam thanks for information and guide I will definitely read it and have a back up plan. Our delivery is at 7:00am so we planned on getting there earlier than 7:00 am just to account for traffic.
On the bright side I have friends close in Jersey so maybe I can stop in for a visit! :)

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I go in early am, like 5 am, find my drop, get out and go back to secaucus wal mart for some shut eye, i charge 250 extra just for going there no matter what, so if i go there its worth it, i can always find loads in jersey, lots of stuff leaving nyc but in daytimes so i pass it by good luck and keep safe manhatten isnt that bad.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We're going to Macy's department store on 34th street.
Ateam thanks for information and guide I will definitely read it and have a back up plan. Our delivery is at 7:00am so we planned on getting there earlier than 7:00 am just to account for traffic.

Been there. Plan on being there no later than 5:00 a.m. That gives you time to find your way through the city in lighter traffic and get back on track if you get lost or something else goes wrong. Truck parking used to be allowed in back of the building. It has been a while since Diane and I were there so that may no longer be the case. Bring money to pay for parking. Maybe they do it by credit card now. That is something to research. Loading zones are nice but usually busy.

I say parking is allowed but I remember it as a very busy place with garbage trucks and street sweepers coming through. Men with badges made us move more than once to make room for those trucks. We drove around the block to get settled back in.

Roads are very rough and add to the stress when you experience them for the first time. Stop and take a breath if you feel the need. Don't worry about the people. They understand your predicament and will signal their sympathy by blasting their horns, calling out in foreign tongues and making hand gestures. ;)

Ignore them. The instant they get by they don't give you a second thought. They deal with trucks and other traffic on those streets all day long. After good preparation and two or three trips in yourself, you'll be a pro.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
They understand your predicament and will signal their sympathy by blasting their horns, calling out in foreign tongues and making hand gestures. ;)

They may even inform you of some things about your mother you never knew before.:rolleyes:

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Lol! Well my fiancee's mother has been married 17 times idk if they can tell him anything we don't know!
It'll definitely be an experience...at least it's a leisurely trip so we will be rested and can have a woosa moment before attempting to drive through the Big Apple! :D

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Look at the bright side. You don't have to deal with the mess we did two years ago in NYC. NO ONE, not the shipper, FDCC OR us, paid ANY attention to the meaning of the date when we booked a load that picked up one block off of Times Square. It was March 17th, St. Patrick's Day!

WHAT A ZOO!! Drunks in green hats were everywhere, at 11AM. Police cars full of balloons and candy. People running around like deer during the rut! Paying NO attention to what was going on around them. It took HOURS to go a couple of blocks and some of that was will assistance from the Police.

I finally found a spot to stick the truck and Mrs. Layoutshooter went around the corner to pick up the small box that was our freight!

We have to cross the parade route, twice, that day. They had built in 'spaces' in the parade that the cops would waive traffic through those 'holes'.

We run NYC often. Why? It pays good, or we would not do it. I sucks every time we go in. We go in, or out, based on the customers needs. It is what it is. I hope it is worth the money for you. THAT you won't know till it is over.

GOOD LUCK!

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Lol! Well my fiancee's mother has been married 17 times idk if they can tell him anything we don't know!
It'll definitely be an experience...at least it's a leisurely trip so we will be rested and can have a woosa moment before attempting to drive through the Big Apple! :D

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(

17 times, for real?

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I'm sorry that I do not remember his screen name and cannot find his post, but someone in the Open Forum recently said he was very familiar with and experienced in NYC driving and offered to help anyone who asked. He would be an excellent resource for a first-timer. Maybe he will ID himself again?

EDIT: Found it. The man is Deville. See this post.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Look at the bright side. You don't have to deal with the mess we did two years ago in NYC. NO ONE, not the shipper, FDCC OR us, paid ANY attention to the meaning of the date when we booked a load that picked up one block off of Times Square. It was March 17th, St. Patrick's Day!

WHAT A ZOO!! Drunks in green hats were everywhere, at 11AM. Police cars full of balloons and candy. People running around like deer during the rut! Paying NO attention to what was going on around them. It took HOURS to go a couple of blocks and some of that was will assistance from the Police.

I finally found a spot to stick the truck and Mrs. Layoutshooter went around the corner to pick up the small box that was our freight!

We have to cross the parade route, twice, that day. They had built in 'spaces' in the parade that the cops would waive traffic through those 'holes'.

We run NYC often. Why? It pays good, or we would not do it. I sucks every time we go in. We go in, or out, based on the customers needs. It is what it is. I hope it is worth the money for you. THAT you won't know till it is over.

GOOD LUCK!

That's freakin hilarious - I bet I've had enjoyed that much more than any of the actual trips I've done in NYC, lol.

Deville

Not a Member
Ahhh I love these threads.

Macy's on 34th street is a busy area. 34th runs two ways, the loading dock is on 35th & it runs east to west one way. Macy's is located between 7th & Broadway, however broadway is a ****ing diaster because our jerkoff mayor hates cars & trucks of any kind & has made that part of broadway like a tourist area.

You can use broadway up until 35th street, it maybe a little tight you can use 6th ave to get to 35th as well..

Coming into the city If you can fit in the Lincoln tunnel coming in from NJ you're life will be a little easier. The Lincold Tunnel says 13'0". My truck is 13'4" & I fit.

Try to get to the drop before 6am this should gurantee you a decent parking spot. Muni meters take quarters or credit cards.

My Mother in law works at that Macy's in the Jewlry department.

guido4475

Not a Member
17 times, for real?

Sent from my Fisher Price ABC123 via EO Forums

Just imagine if she is the kind of woman who believes in using every last name she has had as her complete last name, what is that called, hyphonated or something? lol...