New York City

mugurpe

Seasoned Expediter
I own a moving company in boston and we do NYC runs a couple times a month. usually we use the 16 hour rule and round trip it in a day, but otherwise we spend the night in jersey and take the tunnel over. Watch the heights as I've seen cops just standing at the entrances and exits of tunnels and pulling trucks that where overheight (but which would still fit) over and writing tickets.

Also, I plan on $200 worth of tickets, if we don't get one I consider it a $200 bonus. We almost always get a $100+ ticket. There really isn't anywhere to park you won't get a ticket.

Those free NYC truck maps are good but don't have construction or overheads on them. Overheads and weight limits are hard to find online but are available.

I bring an assortment of safety cones to block off our lift-gate area when we have it folded up, or even if it's down, don't want some dumbass crashing into it.

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
As a person very familiar with the city ( 45ft motorcoach driver for 3 years ) My guess is the insanity will prompt a what was i thinking response... you also will want to REALLY want to think twice about going into the city anytime for the next 2 1/2 months around the holidays. Used to take me 2 hrs to get out at the end of a day and at least 1 - 1 1/2 hrs to get early in the morning..

hossman2011

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
oh by the way ..... know your route in and out, do not plan on a GPS to guide you.. inconsistent at best in the concrete jungle!!!

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What were those tickets for? What was the violation? How much is the fine?

Pandora, BEFORE you just go ahead and pay it, let us know what the violation is. Some of those tickets are easier to fight than others! I almost NEVER pay them without a fight. As I said in my previous post, these tickets are strictly a revenue-enhancing mechanism, having nothing to do with safety or any other civic virtue. NYC is a billion dollars in debt, so they try to balance their budget on the back of the working man. Maybe if they quit giving away condoms and morning-after birth control to high school kids :rolleyes:

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Xmudman...I can see that you posted but when I click on thread I get that wonderful blank box...grrr

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I fought my liftgate ticket in the online court they reduced it by half it's a one time thing the next one is full pop. They write tickets to fed x and ups all day long they save em up and negotiate at the end of the year bulk volume discounts abound in the big city apparently!

Deville

Not a Member
The city has a reduced fine program for company's. The catch is that once you sign up for the program & are issued a summons you have to pay that summons. fighting it is not an option.

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I fought my liftgate ticket in the online court they reduced it by half

Oh man! After a few of these da**able tickets you learn their tricks, and here's one:

When they offer to reduce your fine, it means they know their case is weak. You should have ignored that offer; I'd be willing to bet you would've won the case. Oh well, live & learn....

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
Our company owner is going to dispute our ticket so hopefully we don't have to pay anything.

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Don't know the penalty for non-paymet. A good rule is anytime the company takes care of a ticket GET PROOF !
I know a guy had hiis license pulled at an out of state scale over a ticket his boss said he took care of three years ago. He was there about 72 hours.
OWNERS, one of the New England states suspended the country's largest Car Hauler's authority over an unsettled ticket.
Tom got the ticket. He told dispatch they had to pay it. They told driver he had to pay it. He said he would not.
I was standing with him when they said " Tom, you paid that ticket out east,didn't you ??"
Tom said " No,I told you I wasn't paying it ! It's still in my truck."
The state was pulling over ALL of our trucks.
It was pretty funny.
Tom's name and DL were nowhere on the ticket. They had issued the ticket to him in the name of the company. ( overlength company trailer. We had about 200 of them.)

pandora2112

Seasoned Expediter
We had gone in to see our contact so ticket is in company name, but we things like this us and our company owner both agree to always back up our claims. We're pretty lucky that they tend do this without even being asked!

)O( ~ Namaste ~ )O(

mugurpe

Seasoned Expediter
We're out of state so I always assumed fighting the ticked would be a wicked pain in the A. Can this really be done all online? or can you hire some sort of local agent to fight it for you?