Important! New Ratings System

Greg

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Either one for winner is applicable. Optimistic could be something like fingers crossed?

Reactions: Turtle

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Here's an alternative to Optimistic. Target.png

I tried fingers crossed, but can't get one that looks like anything recognizable when it's 16x16 pixels. Everything looks like either a Playboy bunny rabbit, or like you're getting the finger (probably from a Playboy bunny).

The rainbow really is a sign for optimism, a promise of good things to come, from nearly every ancient myth and religion, from the ancient Epic of Gilgamesh where the rainbow appears as a sign of promise of the future after a great flood had devastated the earth, to the Celts to the Hindu and Buddhist "rainbow body" where you achieve the highest state of meditation (upon death, unfortunately). The Bifrost rainbow bridge of Asgard where you have a connection of the mundane (earthly) element being transported by channel (the rainbow) into a realm of enlightenment (heaven, or realm of the gods). In Chinese wisdom and mythology, the rainbow "sky dragon" is the mediator between heaven and earth. With two heads, the rainbow dragon is able to intercede on behalf of the people, by relaying their thoughts and prayers from the earth-bound head and sending them to the head pointed heavenwards. And then there's Genesis where the rainbow in the sky represent the covenant between God and the wild and willful ways of mankind.

Or, it just says, "You're gay, so hang onto that optimism that people will accept it as normal." :D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Optimistic. Rainbow or Target? (or something else)

I've got the new "Bummer" icon, which is just a smiley thumbs down.

I've updated the "Funny" icon to a more demonstrative one.

Here's what I've got for "Like" Like.png and "Dislike" Dislike.png . Those OK with everybody? Same color for both, or should "Dislike" be a different color Dislikeg.png Dislikeb.png Dislikered.png (or a different shade of blue DislikeLB.png )?

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Here's another one for comments.

Currently, the available ratings are always visible, but they are at 50% opacity. When you hover the mouse over one of them, it changes to 100% opacity (and you get the tooltip). One upside of the 100% on hover is that you can better tell which one you are clicking.

Would it be better if all of the available ratings icons were always at 100% opacity?

I've also, at least temporarily, changed things so that the available ratings icons are not visible at all until you hover the mouse over any part of the post (they'll always show up on phone's browser, though). When they do fade into view, they're still at 50% (but I can change that to 100% if most want it). Having them not show up until the mouse hovers over the post makes things a little less cluttered as you read a page.

Thoughts?

Reactions: jujubeans

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Here's another one for comments.

Currently, the available ratings are always visible, but they are at 50% opacity. When you hover the mouse over one of them, it changes to 100% opacity (and you get the tooltip). One upside of the 100% on hover is that you can better tell which one you are clicking.

Would it be better if all of the available ratings icons were always at 100% opacity?

I've also, at least temporarily, changed things so that the available ratings icons are not visible at all until you hover the mouse over any part of the post (they'll always show up on phone's browser, though). When they do fade into view, they're still at 50% (but I can change that to 100% if most want it). Having them not show up until the mouse hovers over the post makes things a little less cluttered as you read a page.

Thoughts?
My fingers are too big on this little phone to hit the one I want. Lol

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
My fingers are too big on this little phone to hit the one I want. Lol
funny-homer-simpson-fingers-too-fat-dialing-wand-tv-scene-pics-150x150.jpg

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'll probably never know because I pretty much exclusively use the app
Which makes your comments regarding features that aren't even available to you seem much less like comments made out of genuine interest or concern, and instead more like comments designed to be annoying, irritating and disruptive.

greasytshirt

Staff member
Mechanic
One of the forums I frequent got rid of their dislike button. No one was mature enough to accept a dislike without bleating about it. Others couldn't constrain themselves and would dislike your entire post history.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
One of the forums I frequent got rid of their dislike button. No one was mature enough to accept a dislike without bleating about it.
That's the reason the "Dislike" button (and "Disagree" and "Not Helpful") is a Neutral rating instead of a Negative rating here. Also, historically when people have asked for the Dislike button, it wasn't to slam someone over what they said, it was most often to respond in empathy to someone who had just blown an engine, lost a transmission or got snowbound or something else that isn't good. So the "Dislike" button can be used to express empathy, or to simply dislike what someone says. It's a Neutral rating and doesn't affect a thing (other than it adds to your overall ratings count for the purposes of awarding Trophy Points).

Others couldn't constrain themselves and would dislike your entire post history.
As with anything else on these forums, if you abuse a privilege you lose that privilege. If you throw a childish temper tantrum and do "revenge ratings" then you will, at the very least, lose your ability to give any ratings at all, including a "like," and you lose the ability to view the "List" of those who rated a post.