New Jersey mandates snow-free vehicles

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Steven3b: What kind of vehicle do you drive and how long have you been an expediter? I'd also like to know if you have a CDL and if so, how long have you had it?
Maybe I missed something in this new law but I wonder what the height limit is in regards to the snow & ice build up before the cops can give you a ticket? If there is no set limit then this could open up a bigger can of worms. I agree with all of you, this law is a joke & nothing more than a big $$$$ grubbing effort. I predict many lawsuits from people who fall off their trucks/trailers when trying to remove the snow & ice while complying with this new law.
I doubt there will be many lawsuits because many people aren't stupid enough to comply . I'd like to hear OSHA's take on this regarding fall protection . I know when I ran hopper bottom and tanker many facilities would not let drivers on the the trailer . They were loaded or unloaded by employees wearing fall protection and trained in its use ,

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Maybe some savvy drivers in NJ should file a complaint with OSHA. Take the state to task on this one.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yep!! Maybe one of those NJ OOIDA members wants to go after this. It has do be done from within the state. How about it? Anyone in here fit that bill? If so, GO FOR IT!!

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
wisc was mentioning this also as a law. the snow and ice inhibits the wisc drivers ability to travel at 75 and 80 on the freeways. maybe the road const on 94 will slow them a little.

feel for ya big truck drivers.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Originally Posted by steven3b
listening too all of u on here make me think stupid trucker wonder y

Isn't the rule here, that you have to have over 1000 posts before you can insult the members here?:rolleyes:;)

Last edited:

steven3b

Seasoned Expediter
boy iam so popular why dont u lookup the record in north jersey oct 21 in local section which is l and after u read go tell the family of the husband and father who died from flying snow thats its a stupid law. just looking for xtra money but no safety involved 80% of the trucks pass thru nj on there way to another state oviously they have though thru who would clean the snow jersey has self pump so they might use a big ladder like home depot to clean it im not saying the pump attendent will but something simular so until later:p

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
How common are these accidents? How many more will be killed or injured from falls? Will NJ put the same enforcement on cars that don't clear their windshields and or rear windows and run into a truck or another car or a pedestrian? Those accidents are common. Do you think it is possible to remove all risk from life? No matter what laws you pass there will ALWAYS be people killed by accidents. We all die, it is only a matter of when and how. No laws can change that fact. The law is not well thought out, passed by people who have no idea of how bad the problem is or not and no idea of how dangerous or expensive the fix will be. Little return for great expense and a far greater increase in injury and deaths. NOT a good trade off.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Layout, you are asking the wrong questions.

Put it this way, why are they demanding more and more ideas to restrict the trucker? The reason has been because the percentage of the drop in accidents has not been declining enough for the feds. With the number of truck accidents, they want the number to decline double digits every year but in reality that can't be done.

Now we are going to have the CSA2010 and the prevention through analyzing the problem to death methodology used to help that decline increase. Instead of finding the root cause of these problems that they are so focused on, we seem to be going backward with more wrong ideas like some of the CSA2010 and Hours of Duty changes and less input of common sense.

New Jersey is just another state which thinks they know what has to be done to prevent accidents when we know that the solution would be to demand more use public transportation.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Oh I know what is going on Greg, I was just asking steven what HIS ideas were on this. I am well aware that the government AND much of the public is out to "DO IN" independant truckers and have only a few big companies that the government can control and the unions to control the drivers.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
Lets just outlaw all motor vehicles since they all cause deaths, we should also outlaw knifes and fire and guns too.
Life is dangerous, it's just the way it is

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
boy iam so popular why dont u lookup the record in north jersey oct 21 in local section which is l and after u read go tell the family of the husband and father who died from flying snow thats its a stupid law. just looking for xtra money but no safety involved 80% of the trucks pass thru nj on there way to another state oviously they have though thru who would clean the snow jersey has self pump so they might use a big ladder like home depot to clean it im not saying the pump attendent will but something simular so until later:p

You only THINK that you're popular! :) BTW......I noticed that you avoided answering my questions........afraid???????????? :) :)

comet_4298

Seasoned Expediter
What's the problem, PA passed this about 3 year ago.
When I had my tractor/trailer I just jack the truck around so the corner of the trailer is toward the cab/sleeper and climb up.

You know more law's are made over night and passed before you even hear about them.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter

Now there's an idea . Only buy fuel at stops where they have the pump attendent clear the snow . (What's a snow jersey ?)

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
hmmmmmm i am ok with you not saying hello lmao. As a matter of fact since you are unable to respond to any questions i am real glad you didn't waste my time.

Last edited: