*need help* out of fuel!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's halfway through: post 36. One of Bruno/Dave Mayfield's new teams provided yet another reason for fleet owners to be really leery of new drivers.

OK, got it. That one is a good deal worse too. Diesel trucks don't like being run dry, getting started again can mean more than just getting a few gallons of fuel into the tank. Gasoline is hard enough.

Note: Back in the days I was running local, I ran my tank dry twice. Once was in my own driveway, fortunately we had enough gas in one of the lawnmower cans to get started again. The second time, the engine died just as I rolled up to the pump. That was cutting it too close. That engine had a carburetor and an engine-driven mechanical pump, so you know this wasn't yesterday.

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
It's halfway through: post 36. One of Bruno/Dave Mayfield's new teams provided yet another reason for fleet owners to be really leery of new drivers.
Or drivers to be leery of new fleet owners.
Is there not some type of insurance or AAA program fleet owners could purchase for the drivers? 500 dollars sounds excessive.

Last edited:

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
New or not, running out of fuel for the second time in 4 hours, out of pure laziness and/or stupidity, is the kind of stupidity that ought to be criminal.

[Kinda' reminds me of what the American people did in the last two Presidential elections, spanning 4 years.]

My first fleet owner (long before stupidity took over and I bought my own truck) made it clear, in no uncertain terms, that running out of fuel while under a load would result in termination. I understood.

Fortunately, that instruction stuck with me until carelessness coincided with ownership and I ran out of fuel about a quarter mile from a delivery.

A nice man came along with a large red wrecker, yanked half of my drive axle out, and proceeded to tow me to the delivery, then to a truck stop where another nice man put 300 gallons of fuel in my truck, then another nice man worked diligently trying to get the truck started.

Luckily for me, all these nice men, truly believeing we were all part of the solidarity and brotherhood of the transportation industry - and wanting to spread goodwill and happiness in the world, were happy to complete all these services free of charge! I expected nothing less, as they knew I had cried out for help.

So sometimes stupidity can be a blessing in disguise.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
[Kinda' reminds me of what the American people did in the last two Presidential elections, spanning 4 years.]

My first fleet owner (long before stupidity took over and I bought my own truck) made it clear, in no uncertain terms, that running out of fuel while under a load would result in termination. I understood.

Fortunately, that instruction stuck with me until carelessness coincided with ownership and I ran out of fuel about a quarter mile from a delivery.

A nice man came along with a large red wrecker, yanked half of my drive axle out, and proceeded to tow me to the delivery, then to a truck stop where another nice man put 300 gallons of fuel in my truck, then another nice man worked diligently trying to get the truck started.

Luckily for me, all these nice men, truly believeing we were all part of the solidarity and brotherhood of the transportation industry - and wanting to spread goodwill and happiness in the world, were happy to complete all these services free of charge! I expected nothing less, as they knew I had cried out for help.

So sometimes stupidity can be a blessing in disguise.

That from a man who, a few posts ago, was willing to throw someone else under the bus because you wouldn't help "the competition". Hmmmm.......

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
Then why would someone of your obvious caliber use a fictional character to make a point?

Obvious caliber?? Please don't encourage me, Flogournuts. My ego is running rampant tonight as it is, and I may reach critical mass soon and implode.

If I made a point please tell me what it was! I often get fiction and reality confused...

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Or drivers to be leery of new fleet owners.
Is there not some type of insurance or AAA program fleet owners could purchase for the drivers? 500 dollars sounds excessive. Why would you want to bankrupt your drivers? Because they're "dumb"

There isn't AAA for comercial vehicles. Running a truck out of fuel and then calling a service truck can be over 500 depending on where you are at. Being "dumb" can be expensive.

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
That from a man who, a few posts ago, was willing to throw someone else under the bus because you wouldn't help "the competition". Hmmmm.......

For Pete's sake, Fourty, that was meant to be sarcastic.

I would pretty much throw everyone (with the exception of my drivers, my recruiter, my children, my grandchildren, my girlfriend (the woman who is brave enough to launder my scivvies) and my new Burmese python) under the bus.

cubansammich

Not a Member
Because it has gotten to the point (my opinion) where people are afraid to ask a question for fear of being ridiculed for a mis-spelled word, an insignificant mistake in grammar, a simple mistake, or simply ignorance. NOT stupidity, ignorance! There is a difference.
It's a darn shame, because some of the most experienced, smartest, and knowledgeable members...ones who have the greatest amount of useable knowledge to share...are the worst offenders. Now don't misunderstand me. I have learned A LOT here...information that had I not asked for would have me failed in this business had I not asked. I am eternally grateful for that knowledge and the time of the people who shared their knowledge with me, but this "smarter than thou" attitude has got to stop. You guys KNOW that. I beleive in my heart that this forum has lost a lot of good members for just that very reason. Guys and Gals please....when a member asks for help he is not asking to be ridiculed, put down or called "stupid." Sure we may make mistakes in spelling, grammar and so on, but so what? They are not asking because they think they are smarter than anyone. On the contrary..they are asking because they don't KNOW! All I'm asking and hoping for is to try to understand that NO ONE will ask a question or volunteer anything if they think someone is going to put them down for it! That's human nature. I am NOT whining or crying I am trying to make this forum a friendly source of invaluable information. You do not have to make fun of a person for those reasons I have tried to bring to light just to show them you are smarter and have more experience than they do! They already KNOW that or they wouldn't be asking YOU! NOBODY is born knowing ANYTHING! Everyone has had to learn like everyone else, and newer ops look to you older, wiser, and more experienced guys for help. NOT Smart-assed comments or put downs! Thanks for reading this and I love this forum...a LOT of good stuff comes through here, but please...let up on the venom towards anyone. It would go a LONG way towards attracting new memebers.

Don't sweat it Jum.. Karma is a mofo.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
New or not, running out of fuel for the second time in 4 hours, out of pure laziness and/or stupidity, is the kind of stupidity that ought to be criminal.
We don't know why the OP ran out - there might even be a perfectly reasonable explanation - it could happen.
Twice is like the quote about losing both parents: once is understandable, but twice looks like carelessness.

Ouchee!!! Missie, you are getting brutal with these poor souls that jes need a bit of nurturing. I really, really like this post, we are gathering some new cumrudgens.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ouchee!!! Missie, you are getting brutal with these poor souls that jes need a bit of nurturing. I really, really like this post, we are gathering some new cumrudgens.

Nurturing, huh? When I began nursing, I thought everybody needed nurturing - after a few years, I thought most of them needed leather restraints & a shot of Prozac.
Who'da thunk truck drivers would be a good influence on me?
;)

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Nurturing, huh? When I began nursing, I thought everybody needed nurturing - after a few years, I thought most of them needed leather restraints & a shot of Prozac.
Who'da thunk truck drivers would be a good influence on me?
;)

Ahh yes, after doing their time, newbs become experts. I am kinda wondering tho, knowing what you now know about the biz how severe your musings would be these days IF you had a major financial stake in a fiasco like these mentioned in this post. Good to see you get it.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
There isn't AAA for comercial vehicles. Running a truck out of fuel and then calling a service truck can be over 500 depending on where you are at. Being "dumb" can be expensive.

I do have Good Sam Platnum for my Straight truck and used to have it on two C/Vans. They have come out and changed tires for both without any problems or cost. I did tip the wrecker driver for changing the Straight truck tire. I do lease the straight truck and the leasing company could not get there in the time I needed, that is why I called the other. I added the straight onto the programs with my C/Vans because the cost is actually cheap for the service. I think I pay $130. a year for each. Lot of advantages and if your driving a c/van they will come out with gas, commercial or not. I long term lease with my TT so I don't need it with them.
I do need to ad, Although they don't advertise for commercial use I have never had an issue with them. Again not using it on TT. They have never questioned the use or anything else. Great service.
It's not AAA, they won't do a thing. The Platinum is the best. They are equipped to handle large RV's. When I call they ask location, size tire and your membership number and that's it.

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I do have Good Sam Platnum for my Straight truck and used to have it on two C/Vans. They have come out and changed tires for both without any problems or cost. I did tip the wrecker driver for changing the Straight truck tire. I do lease the straight truck and the leasing company could not get there in the time I needed, that is why I called the other. I added the straight onto the programs with my C/Vans because the cost is actually cheap for the service. I think I pay $130. a year for each. Lot of advantages and if your driving a c/van they will come out with gas, commercial or not. I long term lease with my TT so I don't need it with them.
I do need to ad, Although they don't advertise for commercial use I have never had an issue with them. Again not using it on TT. They have never questioned the use or anything else. Great service.

You got my interest. Is this AAA or Sam's club. I would be using it on straights only. Don't have any vans other than personal ones.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
"Good Sam" has nothing to do with Sam's Club. It's actually an RV service company. Google "Good Sam Club" and you can join their club.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
You got my interest. Is this AAA or Sam's club. I would be using it on straights only. Don't have any vans other than personal ones.

I started with one C/Van and got Sams club RV road service. I added another c/van and another membership. They do bring gas no questions asked and fix tires, no problem. When I added a Straight I added it to the membership again no questions and they changed a tire on the road. I gave the wrecker driver $10 bucks and said thanks. Never heard anymore. I dropped the c/vans since I sold them and added TT but kept the straight truck on. I have not used it since but still have the membership in good standing. A lot of other perks as well and discounts. I do know of another member who had a straight truck towed 25 miles and didn't cost him anymore than the membership. I never mentioned to club they were commercial and they didn't ask. When I put a Maxx on I'll do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.