*need help* out of fuel!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I've been giving this some thought. Wolv, you couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

First, who is my competition? At the most, I'd have to limit that to anybody within one hundred miles of my location. That's "at the most". Beyond that, and there's not much chance the dispatcher would send me to chase the run anyway UNLESS IT MAKES ECONOMIC SENSE. Otherwise, somebody closer is more likely to get the run and I wouldn't be considered since I'm too far away.

Practically: the outfit I'm driving for at the moment has five vans, counting both CVs and Sprinters in that mix. I'm not in direct competition with the Sprinters since they can carry stuff that I can't. Further, we're in a rotation, so when I clean up from a run I go to the bottom of the list of drivers who are available and come up as loads come in. No direct competition there, really, either.

As far as helping another driver: Wolv, if you had been in position, would it have hurt you that bad to help them? Really? Are you as incredibly selfish as you're portraying yourself? As it is, you weren't in a position to do anything except reply to this thread. Neither was I as it happens, at the time this was going down I was near Richmond, VA. So, I couldn't help-- and in no conceivable way could they be considered "competition" to what I was doing or was likely to do. A quick look at the map shows several hundred miles between Richmond, VA and Bismark, AR--- so, how could they "compete" for any load I was likely to get??? In truth, neither you nor I had a horse in that race beyond offering preventive suggestions so that "next time" doesn't happen.

About the portable containers: I don't recommend carrying gasoline like this all the time. However, when someone asks you for help and it's within your reasonable ability to help, carrying a couple of gallons in an approved container for a few miles probably wouldn't put you out that much. Gas cans aren't that expensive that I would be that worried about the price-- and as far as explosion in case of an accident I usually have much more gas than that in the van's fuel tank. Think there's no chance that would rupture in a bad enough accident?

In the case we have in the OP, anybody who could have helped would have had to be in one of the stations Turtle mentioned. Remember we're talking a two-hour time window, after that the station they were at would open and they could buy gas there. That's probably what ended up happening unless somebody else helped them.

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
I've been giving this some thought. Wolv, you couldn't be more wrong if you tried.

You're certainly entitled to your opinion, Fourty. I have to be very careful about stating mine, however.

Mr. Turtle, The All-Knowing Sage of EO, has accused me of trolling. Now that I've looked up the definition of trolling (which seems very vague and subjective) I can only assume he has the power to expel me if I continue to voice any opinion contrary to his.

Therefore, I'll try to stick to facts...vs opinions. Although far from a solid statistical analysis (because I'm much too lazy to accomplish such a task) I dug into all my recent settlement sheets on loads where a team was involved. It seems the majority required well over a hundred miles of deadhead to get to the pickup. I'm sure there were loads that required SEVERAL hundred miles of deadhead, especially when the pickup was scheduled a day or two in advance. All that has absolutely nothing to do with the morality of leaving the "newbie" stranded,

Now, how much sense would it make for two drivers in a DR unit to take a detour of say, 50 miles, in order to deliver one or two gallons of gasoline which shouldn't have been in the truck in the first place? Be honest.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Mr. Turtle, The All-Knowing Sage of EO...
A very understandable, but common misconception.

I can only assume he has the power to expel me if I continue to voice any opinion contrary to his.
Two misconceptions here, both seemingly common. One is that Moderators can "expel" people. They cannot. Only Administrators can do that. Moderators can certainly recommend, though. The other misconception is someone would get banned (or expelled, if you like) simply because they have a differing or contrary opinion about something. To my knowledge that's never happened to anyone here (other than to those who have a destructive contrary opinion about the Code of Conduct).

Now, how much sense would it make for two drivers in a DR unit to take a detour of say, 50 miles, in order to deliver one or two gallons of gasoline which shouldn't have been in the truck in the first place? Be honest.
A detour of 50 miles to deliver gasoline doesn't make a whole lot of sense, regardless, even for a solo in a van. But if you're close by and it's not very far out of your way, and you don't have a problem helping someone out, then it starts to make more sense.

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
The other misconception is someone would get banned (or expelled, if you like) simply because they have a differing or contrary opinion about something. To my knowledge that's never happened to anyone here (other than to those who have a destructive contrary opinion about the Code of Conduct).

Ahh, now I believe I'm beginning to understand. It isn't real clear to me yet, however, what a "destructive contrary opinion" is. Please enlighten me.

If you have a moment could you also please point out which of my posts "...are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any law."? I hope I'm quoting the appropriate section of the Forum Rules that apply.

The only post I can think of is my reference to releasing Bubba (an imaginary Burmese python) into the Everglades. I was startled to discover anyone was slow enough to take it seriously, but it's hardly something egregious enough to warrant a reprimand...or was it?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
People who post things simply to get [and take pleasure from] outraged replies are commonly referred to as trolls, and trolls are generally despised. [Except by adolescent males residing in the parental basement, typing for the glee of their troll friends.]
Also, 'Wolverine', people type with a 'voice', like a fingerprint of phrasing & cadence, and yours is unpleasantly reminiscent of a few we've heard before, and didn't much care for.
Your arrogance is decidedly unwarranted, IMO.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think the type of person that helps a stranger doesn't really question the circumstances of their needing help. They just help because they can.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Ahh, now I believe I'm beginning to understand. It isn't real clear to me yet, however, what a "destructive contrary opinion" is. Please enlighten me.
It's pretty simple, really. One can have a contrary opinion and disagree with the Code of Conduct all they want, but when they agree to abide by it in order to post here, and then they decide their contrary opinion about it is more important and they post in contradiction to what they agreed to, it's destructive to the forums and to their own existence within the forums.

If you have a moment could you also please point out which of my posts "...are obscene, vulgar, sexually-oriented, hateful, threatening, or otherwise violative of any law."? I hope I'm quoting the appropriate section of the Forum Rules that apply.
Actually that's not a quote from anywhere in the Code of Conduct. But the post in question is #109, and the appropriate section of the Code of Conduct is #5. If you want to insult members of a forum community, there may be plenty of forums on the Net where that might be allowed, but EO isn't one of them.

The only post I can think of is my reference to releasing Bubba (an imaginary Burmese python) into the Everglades. I was startled to discover anyone was slow enough to take it seriously, but it's hardly something egregious enough to warrant a reprimand...or was it?
That's from an entirely different thread and has nothing to do with anything that's been said in this one, and as far as I know it was addressed at the time. And yes, it was entirely inappropriate in context, and worthy of a reprimand. But that's over and done with, ancient history.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Here is an old , old , story. You may have heard this in church....

Jesus answered, "A certain man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and he fell among robbers, who both stripped him and beat him, and departed, leaving him half dead. By chance a certain priest was going down that way. When he saw him, he passed by on the other side. In the same way a Levite also, when he came to the place, and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a certain Samaritan, as he travelled, came where he was. When he saw him, he was moved with compassion, came to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. He set him on his own animal, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him. On the next day, when he departed, he took out two denarii, and gave them to the host, and said to him, 'Take care of him. Whatever you spend beyond that, I will repay you when I return.' Now which of these three do you think seemed to be a neighbour to him who fell among the robbers?"

He said, "He who showed mercy on him."

Then Jesus said to him, "Go and do."
— Luke 10:30–37, World English Bible

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I took the liberty of posting a pm from Turtle to myself in regards to Good Sams and AAA. I guess I did not explain the way I am doing the Sams deal and left the wrong impression. Turtle explained it to me and I appologize if I have given wrong information. I do use them and Everytime I have used them the vans have been empty and once with the straight truck loaded.

Your posts on Good Sam left the distinct impression that they will service commercial motor vehicles, as long as you don't tell them you have a commercial vehicle. You softened that somewhat by stating that, "Although they don't advertise for commercial use I have never had an issue with them," and that's fine. But you should have also noted, for the sake of completeness so as not to mislead anyone, that while they don't advertise for commercial use, they also expressly exclude commercial use in their Terms of Service. That's something that people might want to know.

It's not at all unlike when I have noted that AAA will cover commercial vehicles, but only if they are unloaded. It's an important distinction. It's also an important distinction when I point out that they will, in fact, service a commercial vehicle that's loaded, as long as you don't tell them you're loaded.

Your posts failed to point out that all-important distinction with respect to their stated terms of coverage. All I did was add more information so people would have a better idea of what they might be dealing with. At least after my post they will know the critical importance of not mentioning they have a commercial vehicle. I'm sorry if that offended you in some way.[/QUOTE]

Wolverine

Seasoned Expediter
...the post in question is #109,...

I certainly owe you an apology, Turtle! When I went back and reread what I had written in that post I quickly realized how easy it must have been for you to become upset.

I'm sorry you're touchy, but I think it's totally understandable seeing how bad business is right now. I hope you can understand I wasn't referring to any one particular van driver.

But when you posted you had only driven 1,473 miles (I assume those are loaded miles) this month, and with the month being pretty much 2/3rds over, any criticism of the cargo van business, unintentional or otherwise, must irritate like proverbial nails on the blackboard.

Hoping to be your friend, I'll remain, Wolverine

Status
Not open for further replies.