near death experience near benton harbor michigan.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I just wanted to let everyone know that this winter has claimed it's first potential victim. I had a nasty spin out on I-94 where I lost control of my cargo van and did two or three violent 360 degree spins and slid sideways into the ditch "while narrowly avoiding an highway sign!" But don't worry (no one was harmed and my equipment is still in tact) I just learned a valuable lesson. Thank god there was no one behind me due to an accident that had already occured about a quarter of a mile behind me. This helped slow down the traffic that was coming towards me and may have very well prevented a major incident. I wanted to tell you guys this story because I think we can all learn a valuable lesson about driving in adverse weather conditions by talking about our individual experiences. I never thought this could happen to me and I have driven semi trucks on the ice a few times. But it just goes to show that you can never really tell what is going to happen when you strap that seatbelt on and head out onto the interstate. So, have any of you veterans been involved in a spin out or something of this nature? If so, please post your experiences! well, anyhow, I wish everyone a happy holiday and I hope that you guys stay safe out there on the roads this winter.

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
RE: near death experience near benton harbor michi

Near death experience??????????? Was just a few 360's........off in the ditch!!!!!

Guess that'll make you slow down in inclement weather.............

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army

Careful there Suds, you'll be getting a nasty gram from someone.
That is NOT nearly touchy feeley enough for that act of in a hurry.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter

Blizzard I'm sure this was a learning experience that you'd rather not repeat. Good that you or anyone else were not injured. Remember to slow down and everyone be safe out there.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver

I almost had a near death experience, but then Highway Star got a load offer, and didn't take me for a ride...(thought I was just gonna overlook the crack about the walker, huh?)
Blizzard, I don't know how much experience you have with the weather up north, but it's a good idea to find yourself a big empty parking lot to practice spinning out in - it may not teach you to prevent one entirely, but it will make it less of a near death experience, if you do it again.
Were you driving on ice, or what?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

I noticed he didn't say how fast he was going. I broke on ice once, and watched my drives start coming around. I was going 5 MPH!

-A bore is a person who opens his mouth and puts his feats in it. - Henry Ford

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Three years ago I was on 469 going around Fort Wayne. It was a beautiful sunny day. The road looked as clear as could be. I got near the top of an overpass in the right lane. I finished at the bottom of the overpass in the left lane after two or three big wiggles from the tail end. There was zero visual indication of any problem. It was a good learning experience since nobody was hurt and nothing happened to the equipment. I doubt anyone even saw as there was no traffic anywhere. I was going slower than usual since there was a lot of snow everywhere other than on the highway. I learned when it's like that you should be going SLOWER not slower.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter

I did a spin out in the rain one time. Not fun. I was 18 years old and driving to see some friends on I-75 in Tampa. Hadn't had any experience with hydroplaning before. Did a 360 and ended up in a guard rail, tail first. Blew out all of the windows in the back half of the car and left me visiting Mr Chiropractor for a few months.

Drive Safe!

Jeff

Driver for 15 years
O/O for 13 years
OOIDA #829119

[em]"Let us be thankful for the fools. But for them the rest of us could not succeed." --Mark Twain[/em]

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter

I was up on I-70 outside of Denver just after Thanksgiving last year and a lot of snow come in. I was taking it real easy you know because the only clear part of the road was where people's tires had been in both lanes. So I'm easing down the granny lane and all these trucks are blowing past me cussing me for driving so slow. I just reached up and turned of the cb. Then traffic backed up, and sure enough one of the guys who hod been cussing me was in the median. I thought about turning on the radio and saying something to him, but I decided not to rub his face in it.

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter

I havent experianced anything like this (knock on wood even though i did just jinx myself). But one thing i do durring the first snow far is go around and "play" in an open parking lot to relearn how my vehicle handles in this weather. This year i was in the truck here and was in MD durring the first time i seen snow. And being from detroit i know what its like. Well went to take off from a light, tried to do it all gental and not apply much power but pretty much as soon as the clutch hit the flywheel i was spinning the rears and had the rear end in the next lane, i had about 200lbs of freight so that didnt do any help. I was shocked by that and now i now these things donot get good gripson in the snow.

mrgoodtude

Not a Member

I used to tug doubles on the west coast for GI/Estes and had a line haul from Denver to Phoenix during the winter.
I managed to make it down the 25 ok but the 40 was closed in Gallup so myself and some super truckers decided to take to the back roads.
Long story short I remember a hill curving off to the left and a bunch of trucks on the shoulder throwing chains, by the time I realized what was going on my momentum was great enough to make the bend or lose control in a panic stop.
I "drifted" all the way up the bend with that set of doubles (breaking traction) while everyone scrambled to give me space.
I don't do the super trucker thing anymore.
On a lighter note my narrow a$$ has been saved by using my CB in inclement weather many times and we swear by it.
Mike

buckeyewildman

Seasoned Expediter

no frieght is worse anyones live i learned from my own stupidity last Feb 14 spun out on Ohio tpk on ice hit concrete median after $4000 plus which luckily most of it was paid by insurance

ejtrucker

Seasoned Expediter

I was on I-64 when a car with no lights on was coming straight towards me. It was 3 am, raining hard, I was in the granny lane, after I did a 360' scan of what my options were, I knew I had only one, maintain my position but decrease my momentum, I took my foot of the fuel and gradually applied the brakes. The driver of this car over corrected, so I assume and went into 360' spins, he then hit the middle divider sideways. No cars were involved, and I just had front row seat, but it was very scary and it worked better than any of those keep you awake drinks you can buy.
I lost my sister in a car accident years ago, she would be 42 on December 8th if she would have been wearing a seat belt.

Keep all of em on the road.

EJ
www.myspace.com/ejtrucker
D/solo

http://www.expeditersonline.com/img/5star-7.gif

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter

Last winter I was driving a fully loaded tanker into Oregon. Coming down the pass, I was comfortably behind another slow poke. I gave the other truck as much room as I could without losing site of him in the curves. Everyone else flew past. The road was clear with blowing snow moving in. On one curve with no notice a state troop on the shoulder was motioning us to slow down. He should have been telling us to stop. The wind coming up the mountain had frozen a section of highway on one of the flying curves that hangs off the side of the mountain. Me and slow poke got stopped, but since we slowed down instead of stopping we ended up stopped on the frozen section of the curve. The trucks ahead were piled up, and the cars behind began piling up. Think I was safe then? A blast of wind started blowing my slow poke buddy up the slope of the curve (at this point I figured he was empty), and the rocking from the wind was enough to unsettle my traction, and my stopped, fully loaded truck started sliding down the curve towards the guard rail. Guard rails look hefty until they are the only thing between you and an open freefall. I didn't make it to the guard rail, but I was certainly keeping an eye on the passenger side door handle. My moral from this story is that I don't like to waste my luck on trivial things. I prefer to save my luck for when events are beyond my control.

eb

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver

i was going about 65-70 miles an hour. that's why i call it a near death experience. i had no idea there was subtle patches of ice on the highway. it was most likely black ice!

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
I learned a long time ago when the roads are slick if you drive fast you dont stay on the road as long