My advice to People thinking about van Expediting

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
yes you can be you just over spent thats the point, it takes more than luck of being in the right place at the right time and right now the wrong place to be i think is the original 3 state area most that are crying about low miles are sitting in OH,MI,IN that fishing hole is way over fished

Wayneptl

Seasoned Expediter
Thank you everyone, especially miguy1957 for this thread & your post to my sole contribution to this site. I love driving and am one of the hardest working fellas you’ll ever meet, but what good would that do me, or anyone else, if a recruiter lies? I guess one of my great weaknesses is that I believe what a man tells me. If he tells me “a long layover will be 24 hours” & “you typically only wait a few hours” I believe him. Honor is not dead in America thanks to me and many of the great folks here, but it is deathly ill.

Anyway, thank you for saving me & my family from a huge mistake right now. I pray God will bless you all with loads heading home & smooth black-top.

XTeam

Seasoned Expediter
Layoutshooter,
Like and agree with your post. It's true. We love what we do and are always trying to find ways to perfect it, save money and enjoy the downtime. We have a job, pay our bills and have a little left, enjoy traveling and all we see and feel that we are fortunate to not be working inside at a company. Positive attitude is very important and to be thankful for what you do have. Linda

XTeam

Seasoned Expediter
I would like to add to my post that we do not drive a van and do not know how things are with van drivers. We are team drivers in a straight truck. There is a saying
'live the life you love". We are in our mid 50's and really are living the life we love.
Life is way too short to waste time. Linda

Last edited:

XTeam

Seasoned Expediter
Linda: can you tell us about the "Guide to Expediting"? :confused:
Hi Cheri!
Thanks for asking about my new book, The Guide To Expedite Trucking. My husband and I have been in expediting for almost a year. Every time a newbee asks for information, it's nearly impossible to explain everything in a brief post or for them to go back through all the posts to find information that they need. I have been writing this guide for six months and I'm very proud of it. The book should explain nearly everything in an orderly informative way. I wish we had this guide when we started.
I am finishing up the last revisions so the book should be out next week.
I would like you to take a look at my website and let me know what you think. On the bottom of my home page, there will eventually be a photo of the guide cover. I mention all the wonderful aspects of expediting and then you will see the from the contents page, it explains all about expedite trucking in detail. Hope to communicate with you soon! Linda www.theguidetoexpeditetrucking.com

Last edited:

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Ok, I have to say it.. I'm amused that you are selling the answers when you have been in the business less than a year. :eek:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You took the words right out of my mouth, Pjjjjjjj.
Course, ATeam were rookies too, when "Introduction to Expediting" was written, but to his credit, he wasn't selling it, either. I'd be interested in reading this one, to see how balanced the presentation is (hate for wannabes to see all sunshine & rainbows, ya know?) but I'm not going to BUY it to find out. I only hope the author is honest about having very limited experience in expediting, ("the NEW career choice"?) and the buyers take that into account.
Somehow, I can't help but think that the latter is unlikely, though.

XTeam

Seasoned Expediter
Wow! You are amused that I'm selling the answers??
I have written this guide to help people understand what expediting is about from my perspective. It is meant to help navigate through expediting in an organized way. To have the kind of response from you and Cheri is kind of shocking. I have not professed to have all the answers. Are you saying that this guide book should not be written? You do not need to buy the book to find out if it has substance. I gave Cheri my web site but I never expected her response to be as it is. What's that all about? New people asking for information and I write what I think is a very informative guide and this is the response? I'm really disappointed in both of your negative reactions to me as a writer and for a guide book you have never read.
Linda

XTeam

Seasoned Expediter
Cheri,
When you asked about my new book, I assumed that you were curious about it's content, hence my candid response. I never imagined that you would have such a negative reaction to a guide that includes much of the information that new people ask about nearly every day. I have also responded to pjjjj's response as well. Instead of being positive and thinking that this may be a good thing for new people, you give this response? I guess that you were the wrong person to discuss my book with. As far as being in this business for just under a year, I never felt that this guide would be like putting out a booklet on rocket science. It is ment to inform and guide, nothing else. Ps. Did you read the table of contents? Can you imagine that there are people that will learn quite a bit about expedite trucking in the guide, especially if having no knowledge of it at all? I really don't understand your response. Linda

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Xteam, I think that was a great idea. To some on here with years of experience 1 year may not seem like allot. To those who have never done it before a year could seem like a long time. There are lots of people selling ebooks online who know nothing about what they are selling, they just regurgitate material. I applaud you for putting in the effort. No one book is going to cover every little thing someone driving ten years has experienced. One by someone driving for a year in one of the most challenging times in recent history can contain most of the basic information vital to those considering the industry.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
And here I thought that's what EO was for. :confused: :D

Being in this biz for a year, I could see some writing a book... more like "My experiences in expediting" sorta thing. IF you went about everything the 'right' way in your first year, you could point out some dos and don'ts. But the 'right' way is subjective. Not everyone is going to be in the same situation, with the same company, in the same kind of vehicle, out of the same area, etc.

Talking up the good and bad in a forum is the only way, IMO, to get close to the real scoop - depending on the legitimacy of the forum. The rules are constantly changing; and therefore, need constant attention. Ppl entering expediting today need different info than they did when I first entered in 95, reentered in 04, and even as little as 6 months ago - when you started your book.

If I wrote a book on expediting under your own authority when I first started 8 months ago, it would already be outdated. I started out making 1.90-2.20/mi. Because of fuel dropping and rates getting cutthroat, I'm currently making what a leased owner made at that time, or less. After all the expenses and paperwork hours, I'd probably be better off, rate-wise, going back to my old carrier until things picked up.

And, in a year, it'll be either better or worse; but not the same. Best advise one could give is to hope for better, but prepare for worse. Oh... and rub the magic 8-ball, so you'll be in the right place at the right time. ;)

I wish you luck with your book. :)

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
T-Hawk,
I agree.

The problem with even Phil's dissertation on entering the business is from one point of view with one company. With all of his experience he still has no clue what Panther is like or Landstar but just FedEx.

When I am asked, I am brutally honest and tell people if they can do something else, do it because we are all having a hard time. This is a business that is dirty, dangerous and takes a lot out of people who are not prepared for it. I could write a book on customer service, how to drive a truck (been teaching that lately) and how to secure loads in small spaces but I don't.

I know Linda put a lot of effort into her project, and my hats off to her. I looked at the index and think there are things that can be folded into other subjects and other things to be omitted to make it flow better. The price is actually out of the range of a maybe I will do this book, the last career book I bought was $14 and it had 450 pages so I think $14 to $16 is the right price (assuming that you are self-publishing it with say an Amazon affiliate?).

The last thing I want to add is that a years worth of knowledge is nothing, I have almost four and I know just enough to get by. I can't begin to tell you that one year with what I assume is with one company means nothing.

I too wish you luck.

XTeam

Seasoned Expediter
Xiggi,
Thank you for your post. You pretty much make the point. The guide was written to
provide information to those considering this industry. Does anyone really think that it's being helpful to tell new people to read 1-2 years posts when much of the information can be explained in a guide? By profession I am a nurse and a truck driver. I do not feel that I know all about any subject but I am capable of writing
a guide to help newbees decide for themselves if they want to enter this profession or not. The cynicism from posters on this subject is really astounding! And, they have
not even read my guide! Sorry that I have used a nice reply to you for a little sounding off! Please forgive me and thank you again for your post. Linda

flattop40

Expert Expediter
xteam do what you want. If you want to do this book, more power to ya. Just remember there will always be critics. Its easy to give opinions but alot harder to have actions. Its the same as what they call an armchair quarterback. All talk and opionionated but have they EVER written a book or even tried? My money is on NO. So don't let them make you feel bad just do it to the best of your ability and let it go from there.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
So, I can spend some money to get one persons perspective gathered from a short time in the biz. Or, for no money I can use this web site that has many perspectives from people with many, many years in the biz. Seems to me that spending the money would be dumb.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Do you think book critics have all written books, Flattop?

I'm not saying the book is good or bad. Nor do I think anyone else is, without reading it. Personally, I'm questioning what is a constant in this biz that an author can fill some pages, and someone can buy the book a year or two down the road and still find the info accurate and useful. Frankly, I don't see that much info being there. Kinda like a straight truck driving school... overemphasizing the simple.

I could be wrong, tho. Tell ya what... buy the book, then pass it around to us. ;)

XTeam

Seasoned Expediter
Flattop40,
Thank you. What had started out as an exciting project to help Newbees with info about this business has turned into something very ugly with some people.
How does this happen? I have compiled information that I wish we knew when we started.This is not a glorified picture or time sensitive. And, everyone please feel free to write a better guide if you have any interest in helping new people understand what expediting is all about. All I have done is write an informative book and look at what has come out of the woodwork!!!! Talking about buying the guide so it can be passed around and trashed? Who are these people????? Again, Flattop40, thanks for acting civil and open minded. Linda

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Flattop40,
Thank you. What had started out as an exciting project to help Newbees with info about this business has turned into something very ugly with some people.
How does this happen? I have compiled information that I wish we knew when we started.This is not a glorified picture or time sensitive. And, everyone please feel free to write a better guide if you have any interest in helping new people understand what expediting is all about. All I have done is write an informative book and look at what has come out of the woodwork!!!! Talking about buying the guide so it can be passed around and trashed? Who are these people????? Again, Flattop40, thanks for acting civil and open minded. Linda

Only one getting ugly around here is you. We could say the same thing about YOU coming out of the woodwork. I never said 'trash' it, YOU did. I meant to critique it, but I wouldn't buy it to do so. As far as writing a guide... we do, with every instructive post. You assume we are hostile to you because we have a certain amount of skepticism towards your project. Don't confuse skepticism with trashing. I think most of us are curious as to what you wrote. However, not enough to buy said book, as most of us have already gotten past the intro phase.

Don't get all defensive here. We're not your enemy. AGAIN, I say good luck!