My advice to People thinking about van Expediting

miguy1957

Expert Expediter
If people on here would be totally honest with the newbees that want to get into this its not the time to enter expediting. To many trucks for what little loads that are out there, the Pie is already being sliced to thin. Someone that has never done this kind of thing before should take all the Posts where people are complaining of low miles , Discounted load offers , or no offers at all , sitting for days without an offer trying to stay warm. ETC. Take them to Heart and really think about it. Maybe before you get in to this, go to your local 24hr Wal-Mart stay in you car /truck for 24hrs. and get a little taste of what waiting for load is like...................Then dont go home Pretend you didnt get a load and sit there another 24hrs .............Then take $20 and throw it out the window because thats about what it cost for Qual-com and insurance for 2 days and dont forget the the Truck payment is comming due.. ................................... Try it before you decide.. Expedite isnt as much fun and
profitable as some on here make it out to be at this time.

I posted somthing close to this in another thread. Think about it before you jump in with both feet.
________
LIVE SEX

Last edited:

VBobby

Seasoned Expediter
Well I'm looking at it with both eyes open. I am a business owner so I do know the reality of this slow market. I have also driven otr so I know what that life can be like.

Entering any business right now seems to be a risky idea. I believe, unless our economy goes belly up for good, there will always be a need for expediting.

One thing I did learn from driving otr and from my other business ventures is dont listen to the disgruntled or those who say it can't be done. Learn the facts for yourself. Surround yourself with successful people. As we said in my military days, "stay away from the nonhackers". Have a plan.

I'm not ready to do this yet, but I'm here to learn, make a plan, find the right people to surround myself with and then if it's right in my mind, do it. If not, move on.

BTW, I take you signature line "He who hesitates has lost..........." as good advice.

Last edited:

jeffman164

Seasoned Expediter
I agree with miguy1957 . Enough said cause it' s frickin cold out here with $ going out the window left and right . Sure it can be done in a slow economy - but why tempt it when there are all of the uncertainties ??

miguy1957

Expert Expediter
Well I'm looking at it with both eyes open. I am a business owner so I do know the reality of this slow market. I have also driven otr so I know what that life can be like.

Entering any business right now seems to be a risky idea. I believe, unless our economy goes belly up for good, there will always be a need for expediting.

One thing I did learn from driving otr and from my other business ventures is dont listen to the disgruntled or those who say it can't be done. Learn the facts for yourself. Surround yourself with successful people. As we said in my military days, "stay away from the nonhackers". Have a plan.

I'm not ready to do this yet, but I'm here to learn, make a plan, find the right people to surround myself with and then if it's right in my mind, do it. If not, move on.

BTW, I take you signature line "He who hesitates has lost..........." as good advice.

I here what you are saying ,but in this business IMO it dosnt matter who you surround yourself with or how good your plan is there is only one trick to expedite, being in the right place at the right time. Ive found that just when you think you have it figgured out, the whole game changes and you are back to square one. So IMO its the luck of the draw in getting profitable loads.... I am pretty sure someone will disagree with me but this is the way I see it.............
________
redheaded Webcams

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
There is so many little things you'll learn with experience...

Example today...I picked in Delavan Wi...its a cheap NLM load and doesn't deliver till Monday in Avon Lake Ohio...

So I cruise along Route 50 to Kenosha Wi and hold up it's only 5pm...have a nap and eat a snack...My plan is to take U.S 41 south to 94 and out the Ryan Expressway...NO TOLLS this way
Fueled up In Ind...got 25.1 MPG cause I was just dawdling along.
Now I am at the office in Buchanan MI for the FREE shower and electricity to plug in...will leave Sunday after breakfast prolly take abit of toll road not much to Perrysburg...and then grab either Route 2 or US 20 to get to Avon Lake...Again missing tolls. This will make this run that much more profitable...oh forgot to mention Wally World for food and use company Nuke machine so I don't have to eat out...more money saved.....

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I guess all I can say is if you don't like it, don't do it. We enjoy this business. I would like to be doing better but so would everyone. Shoot, people often make thier own beds. I met one expediter 3 years ago who hated the business. He was driving for an owner at the time. He hated the truck he drove, the time away from home, eveything. I met that same guy a year later. He still hates the business. He bought a truck, same make and model that the owner had that he hated. He still hates the carrier he runs for and the time away from home, the truck and now the payments. Why do this to yourself? No matter how bad things get a "go getter" can find something to do. Life is too short to do what you hate. I know, I did a job a hated for years, I regret that. Don't make the mistake of doing something just to have an income. Learn from my mistake. You spend AT LEAST 1/3 of your life working. Like what you do. If this business does not fit your needs, get out. Make your way some other place. It is not the business that is the problem. The problem is the business does not fit you. That is not a put down. Life is like that. Layoutshooter

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I guess all I can say is if you don't like it, don't do it. We enjoy this business. I would like to be doing better but so would everyone. Shoot, people often make thier own beds. I met one expediter 3 years ago who hated the business. He was driving for an owner at the time. He hated the truck he drove, the time away from home, eveything. I met that same guy a year later. He still hates the business. He bought a truck, same make and model that the owner had that he hated. He still hates the carrier he runs for and the time away from home, the truck and now the payments. Why do this to yourself? No matter how bad things get a "go getter" can find something to do. Life is too short to do what you hate. I know, I did a job a hated for years, I regret that. Don't make the mistake of doing something just to have an income. Learn from my mistake. You spend AT LEAST 1/3 of your life working. Like what you do. If this business does not fit your needs, get out. Make your way some other place. It is not the business that is the problem. The problem is the business does not fit you. That is not a put down. Life is like that. Layoutshooter

I've met a few like that Joe...they are wasting their time and more importantly wasting their life...

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It is a sad thing to see, OVM. Then, mainly because they hate the position they put themselfs in, they "bad mouth" the business or thier carrier or what ever. I am not talking about those who started this thread or any other in here. Just speaking in general. If you don't like what your are doing, quit. One thing I learned in one of my other attempts at self-employment, from one of the big wigs in that company. He would always say: "FOR THINGS TO CHANGE YOU HAVE TO CHANGE!" How true. You can't continue to do the same thing day in and day out and expect a different outcome. It just does not work that way. Layoutshooter

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
LOL, maybe so. Of course, I would have run on the same "Change" idea if I was running only you would have got "real" change. No criminals in office. The slow but steady weening off of "Social Programs" People have been on the "Public T*T" for too long. A change from government rule to government response to the people. No more dictates and un-funded mandates, silly "feel good" legislation. IN FACT, I would have liked to have seen a 1-2 year moretorium on new laws. Spend those years getting rid of as many laws as we can. IN other words, getting out of the way and out of peoples lives. You know, change, not the joke we have today. Layoutshooter

miguy1957

Expert Expediter
There is so many little things you'll learn with experience...

Example today...I picked in Delavan Wi...its a cheap NLM load and doesn't deliver till Monday in Avon Lake Ohio...

So I cruise along Route 50 to Kenosha Wi and hold up it's only 5pm...have a nap and eat a snack...My plan is to take U.S 41 south to 94 and out the Ryan Expressway...NO TOLLS this way
Fueled up In Ind...got 25.1 MPG cause I was just dawdling along.
Now I am at the office in Buchanan MI for the FREE shower and electricity to plug in...will leave Sunday after breakfast prolly take abit of toll road not much to Perrysburg...and then grab either Route 2 or US 20 to get to Avon Lake...Again missing tolls. This will make this run that much more profitable...oh forgot to mention Wally World for food and use company Nuke machine so I don't have to eat out...more money saved.....

Did that come from experience, or map reading and good old common sence??

All I was trying to do with this thread is give someone that was thinking about buying a Van with their last few dollars to think about it. From what Ive read on here recruiters are telling them that they are going to get 1200 to 1500 miles per week as a solo, and I dont believe that to be true at this time. I just dont want to see some guy with a wife and kids go into this with their life savings and loose everything, and have a van payment on top of going broke. Alot of people that try this dont have a clue to what this entails Ive talked to a lot of them out on the road and a lot dont last more than a month or two. Im just trying to tell them a little reality and to think it through, about what its like..
________
MEDICAL MARIJUANA CARD

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Did that come from experience, or map reading and good old common sence??

All I was trying to do with this thread is give someone that was thinking about buying a Van with their last few dollars to think about it. From what Ive read on here recruiters are telling them that they are going to get 1200 to 1500 miles per week as a solo, and I dont believe that to be true at this time. I just dont want to see some guy with a wife and kids go into this with their life savings and loose everything, and have a van payment on top of going broke. Alot of people that try this dont have a clue to what this entails Ive talked to a lot of them out on the road and a lot dont last more than a month or two. Im just trying to tell them a little reality and to think it through, about what its like..

Yup..seen many come and go....in like a lion and out like a lamb...

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i would agree if you are not in this game right now it is not the time to start

but when is the time to get in the the game
as
the cost of everything

maybe if you are under the age of 30 try military

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
...... but in this business IMO it dosnt matter who you surround yourself with or how good your plan is there is only one trick to expedite, being in the right place at the right time.
The only one ?

I am pretty sure someone will disagree with me but this is the way I see it.............
Yup ..... that would be me. I don't disagree that being in the right place at the right time is critical .... but to say that it is the only thing that matters ..... well, that just hasn't been my experience.

Nothing wrong with your cautionary advice - many would be well-advised to heed it.

miguy1957

Expert Expediter
The only one ?

Yup ..... that would be me. I don't disagree that being in the right place at the right time is critical .... but to say that it is the only thing that matters ..... well, that just hasn't been my experience.

Nothing wrong with your cautionary advice - many would be well-advised to heed it.

OK, Ill bite, If you are at the right place at the right time what else trumps that???
________
HOT_CANDY cam

Last edited:

mjolnir131

Veteran Expediter
you can be in the right place at the right time 100% of the time get 2000 miles a week and if you spend more then you bring in your fubared

miguy1957

Expert Expediter
you can be in the right place at the right time 100% of the time get 2000 miles a week and if you spend more then you bring in your fubared

LMAO...............If you run 2000/wk in a cargo van and you spend more running those miles than you brought in, I would tell you to just tuck your tail between your legs run home and sit on the porch. You were not in the right place at the right time.....LMAO
________
Pattaya condominiums

Last edited: