More BS about Fatigued Drivers

gjmcclain

Not a Member
Here is the list that is being reported on all over Sirius/XM radio that is being used to evaluate whether or not a trucker is fatigued by Minnesota and Indiana DOT and other law enforcement officers. This list contains the following:

Overall Truck Condition: Exterior Dirty/Unkempt, Vehicle Maintenance Not Performed, Trailer Interior Dirty/Unkempt, Obvious Lack of Overall Care.

Condition of Sleeper: No Bed Clothing & Blanket, No Mattress, Berth Does Not Qualify as Sleeper Berth 393.76, Items/Debris/Tools on Mattress, Berth obviously not used, Television in Berth-DVDs and Videos, Clothing in Berth, Video Game System, Reading Material-books, magazines, papers.

(Are they kidding!)

Condition of Cab: Debris in Cab, Wastebasket Full/Overflowing, Food or Food Wrappers in Cab, Urine Bottle Present, Clothing in Cab, Empty soda/Caffeinated Drink Cans/Bottles, Pets in Vehicle, Cell phone, Computer.

(Seriously, they have to be kidding!)

http://www.expediterworld.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=3147(correct link in post #6)

I just thought this was a very interesting story and subject to discuss - what is your thought.

Last edited by a moderator:

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
I heard about this on Sirius. Apparently it's a supposedly voluntary "survey" that the officers ask the driver to take. It is absolutely ridiculous and I'll definitely be saying NO if I'm asked to take part in any voluntary surveys!

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
That was kind of a tricky way to provide a link to a competing expediting forum.

anywho

That is complete and total nonsense and drivers should chose to "just say no". I will tell them that I am just to darn tired to be taking any surveys.

After all, we all know that the real cause of fatigue is due to drivers staying up till all hours of the night posting on EO.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Not to take anything away from the other site, if you spend anytime there at all, you will quickly realize that there is no competetion between them and EO, the member particapation in the expedier section doesn't compare to EO's at all. They do offer some good info as with this article, but their is nothing as far as a competition goes.

As for the survey, its simply garbage and even if it weren't volunterary, I'd never answer it...you can't be forced to.....

gjmcclain

Not a Member
Oops!

To be honest I didn't give it much thought about being a competing site.

Despite that - still an interesting article.

And to all EO moderators, nothing personal, it was an honest mistake linking that to a competing site, but honestly you don't have much to worry about from them, you have very loyal followers.

But, if need be, take me behind the shed and beat me like a battered seal...........:rolleyes:

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Well First off the original link should be removed. Their article seems to be incomplete and opinion.

Here is the link to the article I found;

LandLineNow: Checklist Fatigue Part IV: OOIDA officials say Minnesota's method creates more problems than it solves

:eek: Rut roe! Read the checklist used, ya mean to tell me we can get put out of service for money concerns? Smokin tomatoes, I'd be out of service all the time cause I'm always concerned about money! remember, me, miss cheapo, yep, that's me cheap as can be. Oh boy, I gone an done it now! Can't help it, obsessive compulsive behavior! Hold on now, obsessive compulsive? Does that mean I'm rootin tootin fruity too? Guess no more driven for me! heeheehee :D

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
Who do these people think they are...God?
What do they expect us to do with our trash inside truck..we fill up several Wallyworld bags a day and throw it away every time we stop. We just make a lot of trash... you know with our food wrappers and our used/empty caffeine soda bottles. Maybe they just want us to chunk them out the window so we don't have trash in our trucks.

Cell phones.. I guess we don't need them to talk to our dispatch or family either..out the window too! Oh and get rid of your computer with your mapping programs, your bank account infor, and your expense record keeping. Give all your pets away too!
And just think of the money we will save if we all drive NEEKED..because surely we don't need clothes in the bunk.. where in the &*&^%$# do you think we are going to store them.. in the front seat!

We have a tv, magazines, and clothes on the foot of the bed.
I guess we are just a bunch of idiot truck drivers.

Yes, my truck is dirty on the outside because we run in snow at times... I do wash it but it's black and it will be dirty within 3 days.. don't have enough money to wash it every day.

Restless Leg syndrom.. yes my legs tend to crawl after I have driven my 10 - 11 hours in a day.. theirs would too if they drove that much.

I am dirty and dissheveled at times. Especially after tarping a load or running for 2/3 straight days on a coast to coast load.
and I stink too..and I yawn ( but I read that when I yawn.. I am getting OXYGEN to my brain)

I have home related stress at times.. I just want to go HOME

I am irritable at times.. let me drive through rain for awhile or have a bad day because the sun isn't shining.. ( I need lots of sun) My coffee pot is on a lot.. I just happen to love coffee.
Money concerns.. yes and I don't know anyone that doesn't have them expect those whacks in Congress / Senate ( not counting the movie stars that are rich ...most are just whacks anyway)

Physical movements..rubbing my face.. yes I tend to do that sometimes, my eyes when my allergies are acting up. Odor.. I already said that..

Easily confused or slow to respond.. I have been that for 35 years.. just ask my husband. He can attest to the fact that he can easily confuse me and I am definately slow to respond to him at times ( I think I just block him out)... :LOL

MN / IN do not have a clue as to what truck drivers go through in a days time. If they rode in a truck for a week with any one of us.. I am sure they would change their minds. But you're not going to get them to do that.. the lawmakers just keep making STOOPID laws and we have to try to stay out of their way. Everybody get prepass and maybe you won't have to stop at many scales...

That's my rant for the day! I'm through.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
YEAH! My hubby has odor too! Yep every time he goes and eats that buffalo chicken or that beef stroganoff, I gotta keep puttin the window down! Whewwwww we! He can sure emit some noxious odors at times! So I guess that puts him out of service too! heeheehee :D

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The list of items that indicate fatigue in the eyes of the dimwitted moron responsible for the 'guidelines' makes a Dougtravels storyline seem reasonable in comparison.
If this is what passes for common sense on the part of the officials in charge of regulating our work and our lives, I am truly afraid for us all.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
The list of items that indicate fatigue in the eyes of the dimwitted moron responsible for the 'guidelines' makes a Dougtravels storyline seem reasonable in comparison.
If this is what passes for common sense on the part of the officials in charge of regulating our work and our lives, I am truly afraid for us all.

Yep, ya know what Cherri I know hundreds of law enforcement officers personally and I say why not apply the 'list' to them! That would make for a funny! Heck, they live on coffee, not all their houses are so clean either! Cop don't make a hill of beans for money and I tell ya I actually knew one cop and his wife that actually let a freakin pig live in the house with them, not outside 'INSIDE'! Tired, heck after a 12 hour shift their crap faced tired and they carry a gun, don't ya tink that might be a bit dangerous. Look at the detectives, heck when my hubby was a detective, he worked non-stop would be at work 15 hours get home only to be called right back in an hour later so let me tell ya I know how tired they get. Hmmmmm tink they definitely need to retink this! :D

DougTravels

Not a Member

The storylines were not reasonable???
You were the script girl!:p

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
Oh yeah, footnote. . . the cops (or dot) don't make the list or the laws. They just enforce them and many don't agree with what they are having to enforce. It is nothing personal it is just their job. :eek:

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
The list was devised by a state trooper. I agree with yesteryear, they should use the list on law enforcement!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
This is really more an issue of entrapment, and a 5th amendment issue, than anything.

Yesteryear

Expert Expediter
The list was devised by a state trooper. I agree with yesteryear, they should use the list on law enforcement!

Hmmmm, missed that part! Yep, they definitely should starting with the trooper that devised it! Let me tell ya, I know law enforcement very upclose and personal and I'd say the majority of them would not pass the list this A$$ of a trooper devised and if'n he is an 'honest' trooper not on the take he wouldn't pass it either. Cops work their butts off to make ends meet! I don't think I ever met a one that didn't drink coffee or soda, and don't think for a minute their not overworked cause I can tell ya they are! Sleepy - anyone pulling a 12 hour shift is gonna be tired by the end of their shift and for the most part that is the rotation. 12 on 3 / 3 / 12 on 4 ! Now anyone can call me a liar if'n they want but I'm tellin ya tis true! I'd say maybe 1 out of a hundred of em could pass it! Oh, and I been around a few of them that had some BO goin on too an they don't got no excuse for it! hhhmmmmph! :D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Maybe the OOIDA should consider suing these states for allowing their officers to practice medicine without a license?

Or even suing the officers themselves who make the determination of what is fit and what is not beyond the scope of the regulations?

Trying to use a generic check form and make a judgement call on medical issues is wrong.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
DOT is allowing it. Watch it go nationwide soon. More and more freedom gone and more and more control. Not a very good trend in this country. Layoutshooter

greg334

Veteran Expediter
DOT is allowing it. Watch it go nationwide soon. More and more freedom gone and more and more control. Not a very good trend in this country. Layoutshooter

Well Layout, then I can not blame Minnesota or Indiana, I blame the truckers who are not doing their part to be involved in the political end of the business.