Money Maker?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A couple of weeks ago I spotted a FECC tractor trailer leaving the westbound I-94 scales in Minnesota. I was going the other direction so only got a brief glimpse. The tractor was a 3 axle Freightliner with an OEM sleeper. What caught my attention was the trailer. A 28' reefer with lift gate. My guess is that the tractor owner also owned the trailer.

Why isn't this configuration more common in expediting? If one is going to operate a class 8 truck, why not a tractor and 28 footer? This set up is more maneuverable than a 40' straight truck, provides at least 4 more feet of cargo space, is more versatile, and should be easier to re-sell. What am I missing here? Please fire away.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Was the trailer lettered with the FedEx logo? If not, maybe it was not a FedEx-approved trailer at all.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
I find that rather interesting and wished we had see it ourselves. What's even more interesting, I would like to know how it got leased on. We are currently in the process of buying an 07 tractor to lease on and were told no less than a 48' reefer trailer is acceptable. Could this unit be an exception to the rule, or just grandfathered in?

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
After thinking about it for a few minutes, I have to wonder if that was a FedEx Supply Chain unit? If so, different division.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
There's been talk about that set up before. We referred to it as a "Super D" unit. I was that close to trying it myself. Several ppl mentioned FXCC had one or two of these trucks on. Landstar was another one that would probably take them.

I've never driven pups before, but was told they're harder to back than a 53'. I thought if I go with a 28', why not a 35 or 40'?

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Moot,
You most likely were seeing an express tractor using one of the short trailers that is part of a dual trailer combo. They sometimes will use them for a few customers.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Is it possible that the truck was CC, but that the trailer was being moved for a customer?

Drive Safe!

Jeff

Driver for 15 years
O/O for 13 years
OOIDA #829119

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can't say for certain it was a FECC rig. But that was my first impression. It was not a FedEx ground, freight, home delivery or original FedEx letter. I don't know what an express truck is and I don't know what a FedEx Supply Chain logo looks like.

My point was not to try and identify what FedEx division it belonged to but rather why this configuration is not more popular among expediters. Of course if carriers don't allow 28' trailers that explains it all!

A 28' trailer will come around alot quicker on you than a 53 footer when backing up. But once you get the hang of them you can cram one into any tight dock or alley. With a reasonable wheelbase this combination should out maneuver a 40' straight job.

THawk, I like the Super D classification. Also a 28' trailer is a very common size unlike a 35'. Even a 40' dry van would probably be a custom order now. Most LTL carriers and many food service suppliers
use 28 footers. With the latter using reefers.

So if many carriers don't allow a 28 footer my next question is why not?

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
My question, I guess would be why? When you can place a 30 footer on a cabover, and use a class B CDL. If weight capacity is an issue put a steering tag axle behind the fuel tanks like ours and make a quad. To me if you are going to the bother of having to have a class A CDL, paying heavy use tax, Kentucky KYU, etc., etc., you may as well pull that extra 25 foot, and be a big truck, like one that hinges in the middle should be.

FireGears

Expert Expediter
A "quad"... how interesting...

Do you have any pix available...???

THANKS in advance...

Be Well and Keep Smiling

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You often see these setups at the Memphis terminal. They are regular Fedex reefer trailers pulled by owner operators. Quite a few have appeared since they are doing their reefer network freight. Basically reefer loads that aren't exclusive like CC would do.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>So if many carriers don't allow a 28 footer my next question
>is why not?

The primary reason you don't see them is the insurance companies consider them a tractor/trailer for classification and require the same experience etc. as a 53' driver. I really like the idea of a very maneuverable tractor and 28'er. It would get in and out where even most 40' straights couldn't. I may run one for my next truck unless I go custom straight or cookie cutter straight or custom Aerocell or....

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Gotta agree with Leo's point about insurance. It costs just as much to insure a 53' as a 28' but with less potential for revenue in the pup. Personally, I see a niche that needs to be filled with a shorter trailer when big ones are overkill and straights don't cut it. I too am surprised no one has caught on and made it happen.

Col... ever try driving a 53'? Think about the industry wanting to move up to 60'! There isn't enough room to manuever one of these things. Cut 15' or so off and you have something closer to a straight in manueverability.

I'll never drive a 53'er again, but I could be persuaded to do something 40' or less.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Moot,
FedEx sometimes has trucks and trailers that says FedEx and nothing else. These are ground and express from what I have been told.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
>Gotta agree with Leo's point about insurance. It costs just
>as much to insure a 53' as a 28' but with less potential for
>revenue in the pup. Personally, I see a niche that needs to
>be filled with a shorter trailer when big ones are overkill
>and straights don't cut it. I too am surprised no one has
>caught on and made it happen.
>
>Col... ever try driving a 53'? Think about the industry
>wanting to move up to 60'! There isn't enough room to
>manuever one of these things. Cut 15' or so off and you have
>something closer to a straight in manueverability.
>
>I'll never drive a 53'er again, but I could be persuaded to
>do something 40' or less.
>
>-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

A 30' straight truck would be even harder to maneuver , cabover or not .

Deville

Not a Member
Its possible that may have been a "FEDX NATIONAL" truck, formly known as Watkins Express. Ive seen a few of those pup trucks running around being pulled by 2 Axle Volvo tractors

Roadranger

Seasoned Expediter
A tractor pulling a short trailer will get less MPG than a straight truck! The "gap" is a real wind catcher.