Michael mania is a national embarrassment

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
OH MY, is it going to hit the fan now!! Turtle is going to write another epistle. TalCal101 is going to riducule everyone who ever believed anything, Mr. "G" is going to return in an altered state AND, last but not least, I am going to say lots of stupid stuff. :eek:

I fear MrG is alive and well in post#58. Or at least a kindred spirit..... Geez, I was six minutes too late to help.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Oddly enough, you may think, most of Jackson's music didn't appeal to me, either. Even my favorite musicians will put stuff out there that I don't like at all. That doesn't make them hacks, tho. Some of what came out of Motown was truly good music in every sense, but most of the music that came out of Motown was formulaic, not genius at all. But, the concept of the formula and how it was presented, the concept of Motown itself, that was genius.

People tend to like, and gravitate to, the music of their youth, whatever the popular music was when they were generally between the ages of 10 and 20. It sticks with them forever (which is why I truly pity the hardcode Vanilla Ice fans, or <shudder> imagine being old and gray living in a senior citizen home, all gathered around the piano and singing those old timey Guns N' Roses and Eminem hits). That's why every generation just cannot understand the music of their kids.

My musical tastes are at once narrow and wide, where I can appreciate nearly anything that's done well, but I gravitate to a narrow range of music. I grew up with the Beatles and the other bands of the classic rock era, so those will always be a part of me in the same way that Michael Jackson will be a part of another generation (even though he and I are very close to the same age) but I was also a trumpet player, well trained and well educated, and as such am also drawn to classical and jazz, with an emphasis on things with trumpets (not to mention the horn bands of the classic rock era). An evening of oboe or viola concertos and chamber orchestra gets me about as excited as an evening with Pikachu and the Pokémon Technobrats, but give me an evening of Handel or Telleman or a Maynard Ferguson retrospective, and I'm there.

"The turkey buzzards from the politically correct crowd are circling over your head as we speak."

Not to mention the very politically incorrect flying Turtle who knows that anyone can twist the Bible to mean anything you, or I, want it to mean. I've read the Bible, cover to cover, and not once does it say anything even remotely akin to "thou shalt not grab thy crotch on stage," but it does talk about the problems in making and believing false accusations. It talks about that a lot.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Oddly enough, you may think, most of Jackson's music didn't appeal to me, either. Even my favorite musicians will put stuff out there that I don't like at all. That doesn't make them hacks, tho. Some of what came out of Motown was truly good music in every sense, but most of the music that came out of Motown was formulaic, not genius at all. But, the concept of the formula and how it was presented, the concept of Motown itself, that was genius.

People tend to like, and gravitate to, the music of their youth, whatever the popular music was when they were generally between the ages of 10 and 20. It sticks with them forever (which is why I truly pity the hardcode Vanilla Ice fans, or <shudder> imagine being old and gray living in a senior citizen home, all gathered around the piano and singing those old timey Guns N' Roses and Eminem hits). That's why every generation just cannot understand the music of their kids.

My musical tastes are at once narrow and wide, where I can appreciate nearly anything that's done well, but I gravitate to a narrow range of music. I grew up with the Beatles and the other bands of the classic rock era, so those will always be a part of me in the same way that Michael Jackson will be a part of another generation (even though he and I are very close to the same age) but I was also a trumpet player, well trained and well educated, and as such am also drawn to classical and jazz, with an emphasis on things with trumpets (not to mention the horn bands of the classic rock era). An evening of oboe or viola concertos and chamber orchestra gets me about as excited as an evening with Pikachu and the Pokémon Technobrats, but give me an evening of Handel or Telleman or a Maynard Ferguson retrospective, and I'm there.

"The turkey buzzards from the politically correct crowd are circling over your head as we speak."

Not to mention the very politically incorrect flying Turtle who knows that anyone can twist the Bible to mean anything you, or I, want it to mean. I've read the Bible, cover to cover, and not once does it say anything even remotely akin to "thou shalt not grab thy crotch on stage," but it does talk about the problems in making and believing false accusations. It talks about that a lot.

My music tastes vary greatly as well. I too was a musician at one time. It was my major my first year in college. I was a percussionist, not just drums, and did play the guitar as well.

I no longer play and only sort of miss it. I do prefer music from the 1930's and 40's to early 50's for the most part. I like Italian and Polish music as well. I really enjoyed the "folk music" era, love the Kingston Trio. Liked Conny Francis, LOVED her Italian work. Really enjoyed the Melisa Manchester "Tributes" album. Heard her do that in concert (free or I would not have went) Today, maybe Harry Connick or Micheal Bubble(sp) I did go to a live opera once. I was too young (7th grade) to really enjoy it and while I don't care that much for that style of music the live performance was an amazing site. Let us NOT forget Aker Bilk and Stranger on the Shore, and the late great Bobby Darin and Accross the Sea.

There is a bible verse about not grabing your crotch on stage. I just don't remember if it was from the book of Billy Grahm or the Street Dweebs Epistle to the great un-washed.

Last edited:

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
Guns'n'Roses were good. Especially like "Sweet Child Of Mine."

Like Turtle, I read the old Testament and New Testament through. A couple times. Enjoyed all of it. (except the contradictory parts).

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Latest Michael Jackson news.
Awesome. :D

Daryl Cagle is one of the premier political cartoonists today. Some of his stuff is just brilliant.

bilde

This one is pretty obvious, tho. But he's got a great article about how cartoonists are mourning the loss of such a rich subject.

This one, tho, says a lot. A lot.
cagle00.gif

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Guns'n'Roses were good. Especially like "Sweet Child Of Mine."

Like Turtle, I read the old Testament and New Testament through. A couple times. Enjoyed all of it. (except the contradictory parts).

I cannot tell you one thing that Guns and Roses did. Never heard them that I know of.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Nope, not kidding!! Guns are for shooting and hunting with and roses are something that old ladies grow!!! Man, I am REALLY going to get in trouble tonight, EH?

you male chauvinist pig! *LOL* Wait till Juju(my wife)reads shes old!! You'll pay for that!...;)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

beeler.jpg

It's the music we carry forever...

darcy.jpg

Quite possibly the most illuminatingly poignant cartoon about Michael Jackson, ever.

matson.jpg

And finally...

loner1

Seasoned Expediter
Footloose 16:3 : Thou shall not swivel them heathen hips or grabeth thy crotch.
What, am I going to be struck by lightning now? ARe you from Salem? YOU brought God into this. YOU thanked God someone died. I don't want to get into this, you are too far out there.

Proverbs 19:3 - The foolishness of man perverteth his way: and his heart fretteth against the Lord.

Proverbs 16:25 - There is a way that seemeth right unto a man, but the end thereof are the ways of death.

I Corinthians 14:38 - But if any man be ignorant, let him be ignorant.