Meeting your goal(s)

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I met mine this year - did you? Specifying the goal(s) is not necessary, just let us know how successful you were/are, whatever you wanted to achieve in 07.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Judy and I have done well this year. I became a legal resident of the U.S. April 20th...and after some hard nose research concluded Express-1 best fit our style, after 5 plus years of Canadian expediting. The crossover went very smooth although the American version is a little different. It's been a learning time. Income wise it has been better then expected and the Sprinter has proved to be a good investment. We are quite pleased that the year has turned out better then our expectations.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We have done very well for the year by our standards and our drivers.
Success can be measured in many ways. We look at it from a year to year just on the financial side. There are a whole lot of other measures that one can use to determine whether they are successful or not. Most of them are of a personal standard or measurement.
Industry standards are in most cases worthless unless one has ALL of the information. Most of what is provided is partial at best.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I met my Goal I'm still here doing what I do.

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones
Home is Wherever you Park.
The Price of Freedom is Written on the Wall.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We did everything we set out to do in 2007. The financial and personal goals we wrote down at the beginning of the year were all achieved.

Thank you for asking. And thank you for giving people the opportunity to say something good about themselves and the business.

are12

Expert Expediter
Jim and I feel we have met our goals for 2007. It seems each year gets a little better than the last. But like we all know, in this business, things can change in a heart beat.

Jim says, that sometimes success is not only measured in the years that you do well but how you survive the bad times.

We wish everyone the best, in whatever definition they have for success.

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
In some ways I didn't reach my goals, but in others I did. In about November of last year I decided I wanted to buy a truck this year. Well as most of you know I had some health problems and haven't been able to drive so that didn't work. Then when I was sick I said I wantd to get better and I have. When I started school this semester I said I wanted to finish this semester and I'll be getting out on Dec.7 and we don't start the spring semester until Jan 8 08. It's been a rough year, but it looks like I'm gonna make it.

ThibodeauxBayou

Not a Member
Great question Cheri.

Jan1 last year we made our New Years commitments and set a GOAL

GOAL -- GET ORGANIZED AND LIVE

Can't run hard if your health is outta whack. Began the year with a complete physical and began a regulated nutrition program.
1. lost a combined 155 pounds. Not one fast food dinner was consumed
2. BP is now that of a 16 year old living at home. AKA "no worries"
3. walked and i mean walked hard on a daily basis

Began improving our relationships with our sources of money. Mailed out professionally prepared flyers to all our existing shippers & brokers
1. load offers began "coming" to us.
2. $ per mile showed a 11% increase
3. downtime/DH virtually eliminated
4. weekly calls to each and every shipper/broker.

Improve Hometime %
1. The PR campaign paid off. Maybe lucky but we were never away for more than 10 days. Wives/children/friends are all now a more consistent part of our lives.

Paperwork and financial gobbly-gook
1. state fuel tax breakdown numbers now accurate using new software
2. realtime net profits easily viewable using new software
3. stashed away 14% of net funds into a Fidelity Investments program

Our GOAL attitude worked rather well considering were pretty much nothing more than a couple of S. Louisiana hillbillys. It only took 52 years to finally realize we needed structure. Determined structure. The "old dogs" are now on the last leg return load heading home for the balance of December.

Life's Good.........and wer'e living

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yeah, I attained some of my goals, and fell short of some. Ya win some, ya lose some. I got the shelves done, which was a big one. :)

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
To the best of my knowledge all of us on EO are still standing and not in the ground . That is a goal that we tend to forget about in the rush to chase the $.

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
We haven't quite met our personal goals at home, but it's coming. Our goals out here have been met and then some. All in all it's been a good year for us.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
We have had a very interesting year. We will meet our financial goals for this year but just barely. We would not be able to meet them if we took the month of December off.

We have had so many highlights this year that we are amazed when we look back.

We have become DoD qualified with a DOG in the truck! For those of you not FedEx Custom Critical that is a huge hurtle.

We were able to attend the truck show in Louisville in March

We attended the Expo in July and had our truck in the front parking lot. I am not sure if we or Molly had the best time there. We met many people and had a blast.

We were able to attend FedEx Custom Critical's 4-Star event in Las Vegas.

We were chosen contractor of the month.

We attended FedEx Custom Criticals Skills Challenge where we both did very well and surprised ourselves. Just ask and I will be more then happy to show you my new leather coat!!

We have been able to spend some time at the company headquarters learning how the operation works.

We have been able to test some different ideas FedEx Custom Critical has tried out.

We have attended all of the above events and still met our financial goals.

All I can say is how can next year get any better?

We have plans of attending two truck shows next year and all of the above events if every thing works out according to the plan.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have to agree with Rich. It's always been my opinion that every day spent above ground is far better than the alternative.

I'm happy with the way this year went. A little more money would have been nice, but the wolf is a long way from the door. I'm glad I went from a van to a straight truck. I may actually earn a living now!

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
With the help of God and several on here we have met or exceeded our business goals and have a bit of a head start on next year. We have set higher goals for next year and will bust our tushes to make them.
May you all have a Blessed Christmas and a VERY busy New Year.
Layoutshooter

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>Life's Good.........and wer'e living

Very impressive and inspirational. Congratulations!

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
Spudhead911

I was just wondering, the last time I talked to the people at FedEx I was told you have to be in White Glove to even apply to be DOD qualified. Because you have a dog in your truck you can't be in White Glove. How did you manage to bypass the White Glove requirement to get your DOD clearance. Is FedEx CC playing favorites?

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
One thing I don't think FedEx Custom Critical can be accused of is playing favorites. In Express there are just to many checks and balances. We personally believe that when the Nuclear Plants started relaxing many of their restrictions on dogs this helped our cause a lot. We are not White Glove and have not been through that training only Explosives training. There are several surface trucks now with DoD clearances and FedEx Custom Critical is staying very active looking for more. This area has really been booming but many are having a hard time getting cleared or just do not want to take the time to fill out the huge application form.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Linda was being very modest reporting that they did well on the Fedex skills challenge. I was there with the Speedco Truck and Linda won first prize for solo drivers,her husband Bob won second and they both won first prize as a team operation.

spudhead911

Seasoned Expediter
Spudhead911

Nuclear power plant loads do not require DOD clearance, but ALL loads that require DOD clearance are White Glove loads. ALL explosive loads are White Glove loads. And yes FedEx does play favorites, as you well know. I understand that some units coming into FedEx might already have their DOD clearance and not be White Glove. If FedEx is letting Express trucks get their DOD clearances then what is the point of having 2 divisions? I also have to wonder how an Express truck that has all the White glove equipment on it and seem to be able to take the time to do all their extra curricular activity can still make it on Express paying loads. I know that if I tried to attend as many functions as you stated you attended last year my truck would be up for auction by the bank