May Locations

guido4475

Not a Member
Kinda quiet in here...everyone must be busy....trying to get the ambition to finish hooking up my 6-cd player to the dash stereo...lol...and then tackle the rest of my to do list on the van...but it is getting hot here as well...I know if I turn on the a/c the things I want to get done will never get done...lol...

Generator ran out of gas, so I gassed it up, changed the oil.....it ran, but not like it should....figuring dirt in the fuel system was at fault, ended up taking off the carb and cleaning it out and the fuel system.....good to go, running fine....but somehow a little tiny spring and a black cap came off the carb, and can't see where it was on at, but, it does run as normal....so,......

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Dang baby snakes keep finding a way into the basement...this is the second one I've killed and it sure didn't look like a garter snake! Sure hope it didn't bite one of the cats cuz they were sure playing with it!

There are 17 species and sub-species of snakes that inhabit South Dakota. If I lived there, learning to identify all 17 at a glance would be very high on my To Do list. :D

At the very least, I'd learn to identify the one and only venomous snake in South Dakota, the Prairie Rattlesnake. Hint: It's a light brown or greenish prairie color, got the classic, distinctive triangle-shaped head that none of the others have, and it's got a rattle on the end of its tail which none of the others have.

Prairie Rattlesnake ~ Crotalus viridis viridis

defaultGen.aspx

I don't know if they do it every year, but I remember reading a story about the Rattlesnake Hunt at Mobridge a few years ago. A dozen men went out rattlesnake hunting, and in one afternoon they came back with 400 of them. Mobridge is practically in your back yard, isn't it? LOL

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
There are 17 species and sub-species of snakes that inhabit South Dakota. If I lived there, learning to identify all 17 at a glance would be very high on my To Do list. :D

At the very least, I'd learn to identify the one and only venomous snake in South Dakota, the Prairie Rattlesnake. Hint: It's a light brown or greenish prairie color, got the classic, distinctive triangle-shaped head that none of the others have, and it's got a rattle on the end of its tail which none of the others have.

Prairie Rattlesnake ~ Crotalus viridis viridis

defaultGen.aspx

I don't know if they do it every year, but I remember reading a story about the Rattlesnake Hunt at Mobridge a few years ago. A dozen men went out rattlesnake hunting, and in one afternoon they came back with 400 of them. Mobridge is practically in your back yard, isn't it? LOL
It's not the back yard I'm concerned with...*lol* but thanks for the link!

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
This is what he resembled...maybe I should save the body since the brown snake hasn't been sighted since 1922. Afraid the head is too smashed to ID though...:)

Last edited:

Rocketman

Veteran Expediter
I'm parked next to unit 291 here in El Paso. He told me last night that he was in Laredo a couple weeks ago. He found and killed a 5-1/2' rattler under his Sprinter. See...another problem with Sprinters!! :D

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It could have been a bull snake or a hognose. Both of those have similar markings to the prairie rattler, at least as a quick, panicked glance while beating it to a pulp with a shovel. Better to be safe that bitten, for sure.

ohiomike08

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Back home, after our last minute trip to Tennessee to see the granddaughters. Tomorrow starts a new week, and I'm excited to see how things go.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
I just walked outside after all the rain we've had and it's emerald green everywhere I look...it's magnificent!

guido4475

Not a Member
I'm parked next to unit 291 here in El Paso. He told me last night that he was in Laredo a couple weeks ago. He found and killed a 5-1/2' rattler under his Sprinter. See...another problem with Sprinters!! :D

Ya sure it wasn't Crocodile Dundee you were talking to???...lol...

Wolfeman68

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
My feelings towards snakes are similar, but my methods of dispatching them differ.

Went to my daughters this afternoon and a snake decided to introduce itself to me near their pond. I did not inquire into his lineage, but sent a round from the 1911 Colt 45 I had in my hand its way. It now sleeps with the fishes. :cool:

Sent from my MB860 using EO Forums mobile app