Low prices are killing this month!ppl bending over like crazy!

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I agree. The fight is not dead, but it is a challenge. Look at all of the bashing VOI got on this forum board as an example.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I agree. The fight is not dead, but it is a challenge. Look at all of the bashing VOI got on this forum board as an example.
wasn't a lot per say.....LOL but yeah some....maybe because it looked to much like carrier pushed? I can't find the term I'am looking for.....but this would be pushed by legitimate runners AND carriers taken the insurance carriers and supported by the state....make sense? VOI looked like a carrier idea 100% and almost no one trusts big carriers anymore....sorry to tell you....

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
This would not be a game to play if insurance co's and state regulators were onboard....there'd be almost no way around it other then bluntly run uninsured....

John the future of expedite is in Teana's hands at this point.....the members livihood and future is involved....they can not give up....its not the American way....:)

you can't QUIT on your first try.....just because someone whizzed in your sandbox....LOL

Keep in mind, Ken, that "the fight" is expensive. Both from legal expenses, lobby travelling, loss of other productivity, etc. It's hard to fault CIS for not wanting to "volunteer" countle
Just IMO.
wasn't a lot per say.....LOL but yeah some....maybe because it looked to much like carrier pushed? I can't find the term I'am looking for.....but this would be pushed by legitimate runners AND carriers taken the insurance carriers and supported by the state....make sense? VOI looked like a carrier idea 100% and almost no one trusts big carriers anymore....sorry to tell you....

"No one" is an awfully wide brush to paint with.
With that same brush let's say "no one" trusts small carriers either.
Neither is the case.
IMHO
But there are SOME carriers of ALL sizes that cannot be trusted. Those are the ones that cause problems for the rest.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I think I used the "almost" no one.....which is phonically different then "No one"......:)

and besides that I've been watching way too many political speeches and learning the double talk...LOL

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
It was designed for carriers big or small. Not sure it benefited any size carrier more than an other size carrier. It was basically, compliant and legal vs non compliant and legal. The big carriers would actually be the ones bearing the big portion of the expense of educating the shippers on the advantage of a VOI carrier. So a small carrier could just as easy get the certification and have benefited.

I think many vilified it as some evil system on here, but it would helped level the playing field for many. It would have most likely helped a small carrier that was legal and compliant as they don't have the resources to fight like a larger carrier does.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
maybe all this yacka yack is just that....this occupation might be just destined for the transient occupation class....like tobacco picking, fruit labourers, and such....

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
I don't believe that in my heart. But more people need to really look at it and care about the long term of the industry and the van segment. Takes a lot to make a change.

jelliott

Veteran Expediter
Motor Carrier Executive
US Army
The other side of that is there are plenty of shippers who only look for the lowest price without regard to service, until they get burned.

Agreed! We have spent a lot of time (and yes money) trying to educate shippers as to the risk and the exposure they have.

bubblehead

Veteran Expediter
The other side of that is there are plenty of shippers who only look for the lowest price without regard to service, until they get burned.
A few shippers shopped around after getting burned by the so called reputable big carrier when they were sent Ill equipped trucks and unskilled drivers. One shipper told me that with the previous truck that was sent, the driver didn't know how to operate his pallet jack. I was the replacement truck.

The few shippers that shared their story were very frustrated with this evolving degradation of service.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
it shouldn't really cost bigger carriers anything to educate shippers except some extra time....their "nationwide sales staff" should be doing that on their monthly or so drop in's at existing customers as part of the job....:pokepoke:

Jim Tropf II

Active Expediter
Carrier Management
it shouldn't really cost bigger carriers anything to educate shippers except some extra time

Time is money! It is hard to get shippers and brokers to understand the importance of insurance when nothing really bad has happened to any of them yet from a claim. It WILL happen, it's just a matter of time.

It is supply and demand. Load count is way down right now, just like it was last year. Van count is probably higher than it has ever been due to the un/under insured problem. Demand and rates will come back up over the next couple months, but rates will probably stay below 2014-2015 rates because of fuel.

Supply side will probably stay too strong as long as there are as many multi's and under insured's running around as there are.

Is it time to regulate vans yet?