Low prices are killing this month!ppl bending over like crazy!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I got a call this morning for a load going 700 some miles to Georgia. The dispatcher was up front with me saying he was bidding on it at .65/mile When I heard the price, I ignored the rest of the conversation. I didn't hear where it was picking up or exactly where in Georgia it was going. I just politely said, no thank you. His come back was: " What if I can get it for .67/mile. I again politely declined and thanked him anyway. 10 minutes later I got a full rate load. It was only 165 miles but I took it. I delivered earlier this evening and have a load to Chicago, 240 miles, full rate picking up first thing in the morning. 2 miles from where I just delivered!

What amazed me about the .65/mile Georgia load, other than the price was that I was in Davenport. The Chicago Board had 2 vans on a 22 load a day board. Why are they bidding on garbage loads?

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I got a call this morning for a load going 700 some miles to Georgia. The dispatcher was up front with me saying he was bidding on it at .65/mile When I heard the price, I ignored the rest of the conversation. I didn't hear where it was picking up or exactly where in Georgia it was going. I just politely said, no thank you. His come back was: " What if I can get it for .67/mile. I again politely declined and thanked him anyway. 10 minutes later I got a full rate load. It was only 165 miles but I took it. I delivered earlier this evening and have a load to Chicago, 240 miles, full rate picking up first thing in the morning. 2 miles from where I just delivered!

What amazed me about the .65/mile Georgia load, other than the price was that I was in Davenport. The Chicago Board had 2 vans on a 22 load a day board. Why are they bidding on garbage loads?

Because they can. They will pitch it to their own trucks and when they turn it down because of the rate, they know starving carriers will swoop in to grab it. Pretty predictable.

Reactions: wimpy007

ajakapari

Expert Expediter
Because they can. They will pitch it to their own trucks and when they turn it down because of the rate, they know starving carriers will swoop in to grab it. Pretty predictable.
If they drive for 65c no wonder they are starving...

Say no ! To cheap freight !!!!!

Reactions: ExFedEx

andrew sterling

Rookie Expediter
3000 miles x .65= $1,950
150 gallons of gas at 20 miles per... at say avg 1.70 a gallon is $255
$1,950 - $255 = $1,695
and fuel is wasy cheaper in some parts... maybe they are actually killin it

Reactions: dajablu

andrew sterling

Rookie Expediter
take out $700 a week out of that number for truck and the guy is still making a G... assuming you could get those miles.. im making $0 in 5 weeks

RoadSaint

Expert Expediter
True but they are still subject to the normal traffic laws. If an officer suspects something is not right, they can say there was a tail light out and pull them over and check license/insurance.

And then what? I'm running a cargo van with no external decals for DOT or MC #'s, no ifta, under 10k GVW, and I've been stopped for various things several times now. I've shown them my BOLs, license, and insurance information, and I've been let go without a citation every time. I have the insurance I'm required to have to haul freight, and my vehicle isn't regulated by DOT, so there isn't anything else for them to check.

Also, I'm one of the guys who sleeps in the front seat. I built a custom setup up front to make sleeping across the front, from door to door, more comfortable. It doesn't take up any of my cargo space. Certainly not as comfy as my bed at home, but it works. And a little hard living is good for building character anyhow. ;)

Last edited:

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I think that would be great. Not sure if TEANA really wants that fight anymore. VOI left them pretty disappointed with the amount of corruption and games, from carriers, and even insurance agents and insurance carriers. It was pretty baffling. The percentage running truly legal and auditable....was staggering.

I bet that was a full time job lol. You guys went down the rabbit hole on that endeavor.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I am no fan of regulation....but in the van market I am actually inclined to lean towards it. At least to level the insurance/compliance issue.

Make the cargo van drivers have the same rules as big truck drivers. Most would just go back to driving bigger trucks, or not even fool with it anymore. That would leave only the serious players in the game. Bigger companies can just set up swaps and give great dock to dock service while keeping their drivers busy. Make 1 million liability and 100k cargo the same price for a cargo van, sprinter van, a motorcycle, a straight truck, or a big truck. They can also make multi-carrier drivers carry their own DOT number and have to maintain current insurance filings on file with the FMCSA in order to take loads. Require DOT cards, special licenses since you are technically driving a commercial vehicle, and require vehicle inspections every year to ensure safety. Make the cargo vans scale so that there are no more straight truck loads being carried on box trucks. That is really drastic, but it would even the playing field. The van can still run direct loads by relaying those loads to other trucks. The riff raff would be gone and prices would go up.

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ever notice how tight your pick up times and then find out it was ready 8 hours ago. They don't give it away they may just sell it cheaper. If no one hauls/bids on it, it then goes on their trucks.

I have had to turn loads back after being awarded them because there is no time for my driver to make the pick up before the shipper closes. They sit on loads for three hours sometimes. Then they act like it's my fault when I decline the award. If they would have given the load to us within the first 15 minutes, the pick up would have been made. They get that fist bid in on the load (now they have a guaranteed truck sitting there) then they let the load sit for three hours looking for a cheaper bid. Too many games being played right now.

Last edited by a moderator: